Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2011, 12:51 PM

297 posts, read 729,840 times

Advertisements

So everyday I have to take the road that connects Culebra Rd to Wiseman Blvd. It is right next to the HEB at Culebra and 1604. The road is fairly new. Anyway, every single day I take this road and every single day I see this truck with a water tank on the back that is just watering new trees that were planted on the side of the road way. Also they have sprinklers running the length of the street that run quite often as well. The truck fills up its tank using the fire hydrant that is there. I see it when I go to work in the morning, when I go to lunch at noon and when I travel home in the evening. I even see him there on Sundays. My front yard looks like the Sahara about now and they are watering the side of the road which looks like 24/7...is this fair??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 12:55 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,735,637 times
"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others." Animal Farm

But really, I think they are some exceptions for newly planted sod and trees.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,120,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
But really, I think they are some exceptions for newly planted sod and trees.
This is true. After a few weeks of special attention, those plants will be drinking once a week, like the established ones. One has to question the wisdom of trying to start new trees and grass in the middle of an exceptional drought.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:17 PM
RGJ

If new homeowner's don't plant sod, they will see all their dirt run down the street with the first rain. Trees? I would suspect they might be a pretty good bargain right now. But not sure about that.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:20 PM

297 posts, read 729,840 times
Yeah, but I mean there is water running all down the street and everything while this guy is out there. He doesnt work for the city it is some landscaping company. And how can he just hook up the the hydrant to get the water? And the sprinklers...It is just frustrating.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:19 PM
RGJ

no matter what the other stuff is, you can't have water running down the street. And the hydrant issue is that landscapers, road crews, etc can get a permit from SAWS to hook up to hydrants. Not sure how they monitor how much they use. Maybe there's a meter on the line that feeds the truck? Don't know the answer to that.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:11 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,842,902 times
Yes there are exceptions to newly planted grass, landcaping, etc. BUT approval (Variance) has to be granted by SAWS.
Concerning the water running down the street......That is the Wasting of Water and they are in violation of City Code. I would without hesitation call 704-SAWS.
No one can hook up to a Fire Hydrant unless all the fees (deposits) have been paid for a meter. These are yellow and they attach to the hydrant. If a Contractor is using one of the other hydrant nozzles water is being stolen. Obtain as much information as you can...Name on Truck, Plate Number, Location, Time,etc and call 704-SAWS (24 / 7 ) . Concerning the yellow meters.....sometimes you will se them attached to the water truck itself. But when in doubt please make that call because that's OUR WATER (SAWS Ratepayers)

Old 07-29-2011, 07:12 PM

9 posts, read 21,862 times
I believe that as long as it is non-potable water then it is fine since it doesn't come from the aquifer but from treated waste (sewer) water which can't be used for human consumption anyways. You can always call the SAWS violation hotline to verify though but I would also check to see if the tank says non-potable on it as well to have the facts available to the hot line operator.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:28 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,842,902 times
When a Water Truck says Non Potable it means it is not safe for Human Consumption. As soon as potable water (from a hydrant and in this case based on the location it is from the Edwards Aquifer) enters into a truck not approved (by the TCEQ) to haul potable water then it becomes non potable.
The site in question sounds like Rogers Road. There is Recycled Water (some going to MICROSOFT) along that road and to the best of my knowledge there are NO light purple hydrants. Potable water hydrants for SAWS are silver.

One last note.....Although this project is more than likely being done for the City the Contractors cannot get free water. Is it possible that you are seeing a City of San Antonio Water Truck???

Old 07-30-2011, 04:45 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,079,250 times
Report the waste you think is happening, and the City of San Antonio will investigate it and take appropriate action. Report it here SAWS: Report Water Waste
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: