Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2009, 05:32 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times

Advertisements

We've heard a lot about busted water main lines throughout the summer. We hear complaints about how all the "wasted" water just runs down the street.

But does it really matter? Aside from the work required to fix them, is the water really wasted? What I mean is, doesn't all that water just sink back into the aquifer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 05:47 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,245,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
We've heard a lot about busted water main lines throughout the summer. We hear complaints about how all the "wasted" water just runs down the street.

But does it really matter? Aside from the work required to fix them, is the water really wasted? What I mean is, doesn't all that water just sink back into the aquifer?
I would imagine a very small percentage of the water from water main breaks actually goes back into the Edwards Aquifer. Most of the water runs off impermeable asphalt surfaces and runs off into the sewer system where it is more than likely sent to a SAWS Waste Water Treatment plant. The treated water is then sent downstream along the rivers south of town emptying in the bays near the Gulf of Mexico.

For there to even be a chance of seeing the water return into the Edwards Aquifer, the water main break would have to occur over the Recharge Zone (which is generally near and along 1604 on the north side). Even then, resulting flood would have to be deep enough to pour into some of the surrounding land.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:09 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
The however many thousand gallons that leaked out through a hairline crack in a main at my place mostly just turned part of the front yard into a swamp, even though I'm on the recharge zone. My guess is most of it evaporated rather than seeping back down into the ground. Having fixed a couple of these small leaks before, it really doesn't take a whole lot to make it into the thousands of gallons per month range. I've seen bad toilet valves do it.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:51 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,842,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post

As stated previously, water from main breaks over the recharge zone could "potentially" return to the Aquifer. Also mentioned was the impervious cover which routes the flow into stormdrains and eventually in most cases into the San Antonio River down to the Gulf. Certainally there is water that flows into areas where it puddles and seeps into the soil and /or evaporates. Many of the main breaks have been in areas where the mains are constructed of Cast Iron, Ductile Iron, and Concrete.
I wish I had a dollar for every main break that SAWS has repaired this year. SAWS does figure into the annual pumpage water loss due to main breaks, stolen water, required regulatory hydrant /dead end main flushing, etc.
The high number of main breaks is due to the dry shifting soils. This rain is excellent but too much can result in the same.

Last edited by wellguy; 09-11-2009 at 07:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio