Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 10:32 AM

21 posts, read 37,503 times

Advertisements

Not sure if anyone caught the article today in the EN - basically, the city government paid $50K for some consultants to tell us to stop wasting time trying to poach an NFL team and instead build a "sports landscape". The primary obstacles are the lack of corporate sponsors along with San Antonio's small metro size and distinctly poorer population - along with the Alamodome not being fit for NFL standards.

In a bad US economy that continues to spiral down, I have to ask - why would any investor pony up $1 billion to bring football to America's 37th largest (and one of the poorest) media markets? How canthe city commit $700 million+ to build a fitting stadium? My hunch is that this should cool the football drive here, at least politically, for a good 20 years. Perhaps things will look differently then, but for now, enjoy the Cowboys.......

S.A. a great place to practice, but tough sell as NFL home - San Antonio Express-News

S.A. a great place to practice, but tough sell as NFL home

Study says arena football, lower-level soccer, Triple-A baseball more realistic here.

By Richard Oliver / roliver@express-news.net

Published 01:08 a.m., Friday, July 29, 2011

San Antonio is ready to tackle the Arena Football League, lower-division soccer and perhaps even Triple-A baseball.

But city sports fans will have little to cheer about regarding the National Football League or Major League Baseball, at least for the foreseeable future.
Moderator cut: remainder of copyrighted article

Last edited by Bo; 07-29-2011 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: Per TOS, do not post long excerpts from copyrighted material. Post a short snippet and a link to the original instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 11:01 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,113,771 times
The city paid 50k for this lame study. San Antonio is the 24th largest metro, nearly 2.3 million people and continually growing. San Antonio has more F500 and a corporate base than many MLB and NFL cities. Hmm, lets see, San Diego, Phoenix, Miami, New Orleans, Nashville, (equal)Charlotte, Indianapolis, Buffalo, Green bay, lada lada lada have a smaller corporate base than San Antonio. S.A. also has a higher median income than Dallas and Houston by several thousand dollars.
So the city wasted 50k for bad info. Then I guess all these exsiting so called bigger league cities need to sell their teams and relocate them to cities that are elligible. If those cities can support them, San Antonio can surely support another major league team, and the city knows that.
Of course we need a new venue for MLB or transform and build on the Alamodome. This Dallas Cowboy training camp whatever is nice and all but Im not a fan, we need our own NFL team. I would love to go to a San Antonio vs dallas Cowboy game. It would be just as intense or even more so than a Spurs-Mavs game

Old 07-29-2011, 11:05 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,113,771 times
Jerry Jones must be a stakeholder of California-based Premier Partnerships!

Old 07-29-2011, 11:21 AM

810 posts, read 1,426,019 times
Why pay a “consultant” $50k to tell the city government that? I could have told the city government the same thing at no cost. LOL.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:41 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,695,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
Why pay a “consultant” $50k to tell the city government that? I could have told the city government the same thing at no cost. LOL.
Because the paid consultant is City Manager Sheryl Scully's husband. And from what I understand...he has background in Telecommunications/phone company back in Arizona, so he wasnt even qualified to be doing this job(that didn't need to be done)
City Hall stealling tax payer money again!

Old 07-29-2011, 11:55 AM

2,327 posts, read 3,938,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
Because the paid consultant is City Manager Sheryl Scully's husband. And from what I understand...he has background in Telecommunications/phone company back in Arizona, so he wasnt even qualified to be doing this job(that didn't need to be done)
City Hall stealling tax payer money again!
From what I read, Michael Sculley didn't get any money from the study, but a California-based firm did. Did I misread?

Old 07-29-2011, 12:01 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,123,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
we need our own NFL team.
Without a stadium and lots of corporations to sponsor luxury boxes, we won't get one. I agree with the premise of the report, which is that we shouldn't get one.

The city spent over $200 million to open the current stadium in 1992 and it is no longer up to the NFL's standards (confirmed in the article). The Cowboys stadium cost over $1 billion. This city can't afford to build a $1 billion stadium.

There aren't enough corporations here to support a team. I've noticed unoccupied luxury boxes at the AT&T Center during Spurs' games. The corporations that are here aren't enough to fully support the city's only major league sports team! The NFL knows this.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:07 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,736,157 times
And there's no way, even if they found some generous wacked out billionairey to build it, that the Cowboys or Texans would allow the approval of a team here.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:09 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,590,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
From what I read, Michael Sculley didn't get any money from the study, but a California-based firm did. Did I misread?
He'll probably get a little bit bigger bonus this year. The city will be using this study to waste more of our tax dollars on "building a sports landscape". I can imagine the amount of proposals from stadium builders that will come out of this study. I propose that the city set up a "Let's buy a NFL team fund" Let it be funded with only private funds. Then let all of the people who are salivating over a San Antonio NFL team put as much money into it as the want until we have enough money to build what we need and then buy a team. I can't afford to pay for someone elses entertainment.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:14 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,736,157 times
Mr. Sculley is the Director of the Bexar County Venue Program that is in charge of distributing the money from the visitor and car rental taxes that passed a couple or three years ago. This is the tax referendum that decided McAllister Park Little League gets around 4-5 million for their fields that only their Little Leage kids can play on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio