Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 07:55 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times

Advertisements

Keep the discussion local to keep the thread open. This will be the only warning for the thread. City-Data's Politics and Other Controversies forum is the place to debate oil-drilling, until it becomes a LOCAL issue in San Antonio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 08:25 AM

894 posts, read 1,547,553 times
Killing off threatened and endangered species isn't a solution and neither is letting our trees die. SAWS needs to be much more creative and resourceful and stop relying on jacked up rates to change behavior. The lack of water hurts our growth and development and it needs to be solved, not have band aids put on the problem. I was in Kansas City this week and the Missouri River is still out of it's banks. Wouldn't it be great if we could send that excess to us and other drought stricken regions...but I'm a dreamer, of course.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:37 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybolt View Post
Killing off threatened and endangered species isn't a solution and neither is letting our trees die. SAWS needs to be much more creative and resourceful and stop relying on jacked up rates to change behavior. The lack of water hurts our growth and development and it needs to be solved, not have band aids put on the problem. I was in Kansas City this week and the Missouri River is still out of it's banks. Wouldn't it be great if we could send that excess to us and other drought stricken regions...but I'm a dreamer, of course.
Not a realistic option to bring the water down from flooded areas, that will increase our rates due to the added logistics cost and people will complain about that.

I am for protecting the endangered species over green lawns and swimming pools but I have to draw the line when I need my drinking water.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:49 AM

3,542 posts, read 8,246,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybolt View Post
The amount that you're allowed to water in Stage 2 (and even Stage 3) restrictions is definitely enough to keep trees in your yard alive. Some other more sensitive non-native plants will no doubt suffer more by watering only once or once every other week, but that's a risk that you take when you plant them in an area as drought-proned as South Texas. Even in Stage 3 restrictions, hand-watering is allowed at any time of the week, day or night.

Water rates are indeed high, but highly doubtful it's hurting growth. We've been among the fastest growing cities for several years now, and this town and region continue to grow much faster than the infrastructure can handle. The focus has to be on sustainability, not out of control growth, if you truly want this area to prosper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Not a realistic option to bring the water down from flooded areas, that will increase our rates due to the added logistics cost and people will complain about that.

I am for protecting the endangered species over green lawns and swimming pools but I have to draw the line when I need my drinking water.
Drinking water shortages definitely won't be an issue in San Antonio, even if we have a 1950's redux, but wasting water still doesn't make any sense.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:12 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,246,257 times
Some great tips that protect the lawn while conserving water
Where to cut, postpone or refocus watering efforts - San Antonio Express-News

Old 08-27-2011, 09:25 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
I disagree with those who think that water for lawns is a waste. Green grass is one of the greatest joys I have known. Especially in a residential area. I get the feeling that we have a ton of water that is not being used, and the reasons why we aren't using it are really dumb.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:44 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,842,502 times
There is nothing wrong with wanting to conserve water and in turn protect endangered species. The fact that many Folks are wasteful when it comes to using water is the big issue. Although we pay for our useage we don't have the right or need to water everyday, water at an hour, etc. If those who are wasteful were more responsible (its not only outdoor use) there is a very good chance that SAWS would not have to put us into any Stage.
It is unfortunate but a fact that SAWS needs to raise their rates. Folks have no idea of the money spent to keep the utility going. There is a cost to pump the water, treat the water (Chlorine, Fluoride), store the water, pump it into the system, maintain the system, etc. There is also the cost of treating the wastewater. I know most Folks have no idea of how water is delivered to their home and what is done to it after the toilet is flushed. It ain't cheap. SAWS like any other Purveyor who pumps water from the Edwards has to pay a fee back to the EAA which of course is passed on to the Customer. SAWS collects the Stormwater Fee in which the majority goes back to the COSA. Due to the EAA placing pumping restictions upon SAWS, BexarMet, etc. they are forced to seek water from other sources and areas of the State. Like everyone else I hate to see an increase in our rates. At least SAWS Customers have the City Council to say yea or nay to an increase and to the percentage. SAWS doesn't always get what they ask for. I for one have Bexar Met (for now) and if they want to raise their rates then it will be done.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:54 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Does anyone think that limiting our water use (keeping the aquifer at such a high level) is justified just to protect species of insects that only live and exist within the aquifer?
nope. not justified at all. species that are specific to that particular area and provide no benefit to the outside world, sans their immediate environment, are fare game for genocide in the name of progress

Quote:
Why are these insects so important?
environmentalists, who love to hinder progression in the name of some stupid bug that lives ONLY in the aquifer, say so.

Quote:
Isn't it more important to water our grass and trees, rather than keep the water levels so high for an environmentally protected creature?

I would rather preserve our trees.
hm. plants that provide air for us vs some bug that does nothing but give environmentalists something to cry over and hinder progression?

Old 08-28-2011, 12:00 AM

1,720 posts, read 4,506,025 times
Its cheaper to pay a fine, than to replace your whole lawn!

Old 08-28-2011, 10:42 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
Its cheaper to pay a fine, than to replace your whole lawn!
Maybe in terms of $$$, but not in terms of nuisance. The penalty for violating water restrictions includes a mandatory court appearance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio