Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2011, 01:53 PM

18 posts, read 34,737 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone-looking for Catholic elementary schools for my four kids in San Antonio. I read reviews on www.greatschools -is there any other word of mouth on which schools are better? Looking for a friendly environment, good academics, athletics, etc. We are flexible on where we need to live in SA-school is really the most important issue. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 10:20 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,488,647 times
The Catholic schools here usually run from Pre-Kinder thru 8th grade... Then you move up to a Catholic High School, which is 9-12...

There are quite a few Catholic Schools around town...

St Luke's is a really good school from what I hear... So is St John Bosco, St Gregory's and The Atonement Academy...

However, reading your relocation post, if you end up moving to Alamo Heights or any of the other areas mentioned, you will be pretty far from all the schools mentioned... Although if you move to Fair Oaks Atonement would be the closest to that area...

St Anthony's would be in the Monte Vista area, so that would probably be closest if you move to Alamo Heights...

St Matthew's would also be another good school... It would be closer to the Deerfield area that was mentioned in your relocating thread...

Old 08-27-2011, 06:45 AM

246 posts, read 433,686 times
our daughter went to St Antony in Monte Vista and it was great. Don't know the current status. She then went on to Incarnate Word High School. Very good prep for college.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:01 PM

374 posts, read 982,884 times
I think this depends on where you will live. We were in Catholic schools before we moved there but the Comal ISD schools were so good I didn't worry about them. Many schools in TX still teach morality and decency along with the fundamentals. The liberal indoctrination you see from other areas is only a problem in inner-city schools of TX.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:04 PM

2 posts, read 3,335 times
If you are looking in the Alamo Heights area, both St. Anthonys and St. Peters are good.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:11 PM

271 posts, read 988,418 times
I have kids currently @ St. Anthony. I can only say good things about our experience. We also did St. Matthew's for a few years with my oldest, and while it was good, I much prefer the smaller atmosphere of St. Anthony. Roughly 725 vs. 400. At St. Matthew's the class size was up to 24... at St. Anthony it is currently about 19. It makes a big difference. The school did go through some changes in leadership last year....all for the better. The central location of St. Anthony is also a bonus.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:29 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,842,502 times
Our Son went to St. John Bosco from pre-K to 8th and then to Holy Cross. We were extremely satisfied with both Schools and it was worth the extra expense while paying NSISD taxes. I can't speak for either one today....he graduated from Holy Cross in 2008. I would think that they are still great Schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio