Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you experienced a foundation repair run around?
No, I found the perfect company. 3 75.00%
Yes, everyone critizes their competitor's product 1 25.00%
No, my structural engineer worked with the repair company 2 50.00%
Yes, couldn't get a report from the structural engineer, so I'm dancing in the dark. 2 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 03:45 PM

40 posts, read 120,070 times

Advertisements

Think I would hire Homer Parker & Trapper L to help you make your decision. They are two very knowledgeable guys! Good luck - and you know I mean it.... Quite frankly, when people have asked us if we're planning on selling now, our question is - "what would we'd be getting into next and can we afford it? At least we know what's been done to this home, so we're staying."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 08:00 AM

Update - as of yesterday 12-13-11 our home has experienced rapid movement again. The foundation repair company will come by tomorrow to assess the situation. The molding dropped approximately 1/2 inch +/- down from the ceilings on one side of our home. We were almost finished with the repairs - had already repaired and painted the ceilings, caulked the molding along the ceiling area where the movement had occurred prior to the repairs. And now this.

I'll let you know what happens next. Just can't believe this is happening again. 43 piers and we still have this kind of movement and damage.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:26 AM

186 posts, read 689,935 times
I am so sorry to hear this. I just read through your entire thread and was so happy when you finally (thought you) had it complete. So disappointing to hear it's happening again... very scary. Good luck to you, really.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:08 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,912,049 times
I wondered how yer house was doing after the incredible drought and now the non-stop moisture. There's good news in this though. They'll probably come back and reset the level on the house and that should be it. They've now seen the spectrum of movement with the soil and can adjust it accordingly. Quite a few folks must have theirs redone years apart, yours in a matter of weeks. But this should be the last time you have issues. I don't suppose you live behind Clark High School?

Old 12-15-2011, 08:36 AM

381 posts, read 767,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyinSA View Post
Update - as of yesterday 12-13-11 our home has experienced rapid movement again. The foundation repair company will come by tomorrow to assess the situation. The molding dropped approximately 1/2 inch +/- down from the ceilings on one side of our home. We were almost finished with the repairs - had already repaired and painted the ceilings, caulked the molding along the ceiling area where the movement had occurred prior to the repairs. And now this.

I'll let you know what happens next. Just can't believe this is happening again. 43 piers and we still have this kind of movement and damage.
Sorry to hear about your problems with your house. At least you got some very good advice from trapper, which is a great person that has given me great advice and knowledge about what to look for when buying a house here in San Antonio. I hope that you have no more problems with your foundation. What a living nightmare.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:22 PM

Default Yikes!

The foundation repair company representative came by today and measured the floors (elevation) - the foundation itself has not moved. He has never seen anything like this before, so his Engineer will be out to assess the situation. He suspects the tresses have come loose/failed in the attic on one side of the home.

Will keep you all updated.
To all - thanks for the well-wishes. We are weary.
Trapper L, no we don't live behind Clark High School but if those residents are having these problems too, they have my upmost sympathy.

Last edited by LadyinSA; 12-15-2011 at 02:45 PM..

Old 12-18-2011, 09:10 PM

381 posts, read 767,992 times
You know what? Since we are talking about foundation problems with houses, I went to one new community built by KB Homes and asked him about the elasticity of the ground there and he said that not even one previous buyer had ever asked him about that. This is a problem, because it's one of the first things you should ask when buying a new home. Anyways, he came back with between 12 and 52 which is way below 60, where me trapper told me it should be.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:29 AM

Follow up on last visit. We have been advised that the movement (crown molding dropping down from ceilings on one-half of home) was due to the home frame shifting back to its original location -- home finally "relaxed." It took me 3 solid days of caulking and painting. They suggested we wait at least another three months to make any repairs but I decided to get things back in order prior to the New Year. I just wanted to go to sleep having this home restored and start the New Year with everything repaired. I will keep everyone updated should any more movement occur. Happy New Year! We're looking forward to a trouble free year at this location. And hope that will be the case for many years to come.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:31 AM

574 posts, read 1,639,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyinSA View Post
Follow up on last visit. We have been advised that the movement (crown molding dropping down from ceilings on one-half of home) was due to the home frame shifting back to its original location -- home finally "relaxed." It took me 3 solid days of caulking and painting. They suggested we wait at least another three months to make any repairs but I decided to get things back in order prior to the New Year. I just wanted to go to sleep having this home restored and start the New Year with everything repaired. I will keep everyone updated should any more movement occur. Happy New Year! We're looking forward to a trouble free year at this location. And hope that will be the case for many years to come.
I have read your whole thread and any "shifting back" should have occurred when they performed all of the extensive foundation work. If your framing is still moving then quite possibly the foundation is also still moving? The other potential is as you were told before that there might have been some type of framing failure at this point.

It sounds like you have a lot of money into it already. It is well worth having an independent licensed engineer, different from any other, to perform another review just to be safe.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:39 AM

Quick update -- we have been holding our breath, hoping all of this rain would not result in further movement. So far, so good. Everything is still OK. It's nice not having to do repairs every weekend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio