Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 09:21 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else remember what North Star Mall was like before 1982? That was the year that major renovations were done to the mall.

The center north section, starting across from the Apple store and continuing eastward to where the cookie shop is, is the area which used to be occupied by a large department store. It had a basement with an escalator near the west entrance. The place on the east side where the cookie shop is (and Eddie Bauer used to be) was an open area which led to the basement by stairs.

In 1982 the basement area became the Music Court. The upper areas were pretty much the way they are now, with the new wing by the Cheesecake Factory. There was an escalator across from the Cheesecake/Starbucks area which led down to the music court. The basement area contained a record shop, a musical instrument store, a video arcade (one of many throughout the mall at the time) and some other small shops.

Later the basement became an Oshmans. The escalator was around the corner in the middle of the mall.

My favorite part of the pre-1982 structure what the southwest corner. There was a Walgreen's located where the Macy's now opens into the mall. On the side was a hallway leading outside. Between that hallway and the existing one that is still there was a grocery store. There was also some kind of little shop in that old hallway that connected to the store somehow, but I forget what it was.

There was also a Mexican restaurant in the little hallway where the bank is now at the very end. It was a really cool place.

The Walgreen's moved to the area across from the jewelry store next to Luby's. It stayed there until the late 90's probably. That is the main thing that the mall is now missing, a drug store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 11:10 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,271,468 times
We moved to West Texas in 1979 when I was 12 but I remember shopping at North Star with my mother before that. That long corridor was open if I recall correctly. Wasn't the store where Dillards is now Joskes? What was in the Macy's location or was it builg after 82?

Old 09-29-2011, 05:05 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeel View Post
We moved to West Texas in 1979 when I was 12 but I remember shopping at North Star with my mother before that. That long corridor was open if I recall correctly. Wasn't the store where Dillards is now Joskes? What was in the Macy's location or was it builg after 82?
The Walgreen's was part of it. There may have been other stores across from the HEB along that old corridor, behind Walgreen's. There was no upper level there. The Foley's/Macy's was completely rebuilt in 1982.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:45 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,271,468 times
Gee, you said exactly the Macy's/Walgreens thing in your original post. Guess I got nostalgic thinking about being at North Star with my mother and skimmed over that part

Old 09-29-2011, 07:30 AM

297 posts, read 729,320 times
I remember that music court downstairs. I remember there was an HEB in NSM back in the 70s. I remember going to the movie theater in NSM back in the day too.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:28 AM

46 posts, read 114,253 times
I haven't thought about the escalator going down into Oshman's in forever!! I remember as a little girl it kind of scared me because it seemed so steep!! And I also remember the Walgreens.

Wasn't Foley's the department store that was down by Luby's?

Old 09-29-2011, 02:37 PM

297 posts, read 729,320 times
Foleys was down by Luby's but that is also the area where the HEB was back in the 70s. The Walgreens was down that way too if I am not mistaken.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:59 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,680,780 times
I was a toddler in the 70s...I would love to see pics to help my memory. I only remember Walgreen's, but not the movie theatre.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:08 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,044,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
There was also a Mexican restaurant in the little hallway where the bank is now at the very end. It was a really cool place.
Was that the restaurant with the waterfall or fountain inside on the wall by the entrance???

Old 09-29-2011, 06:11 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,129,944 times
The movie theatre at North Star Mall was where I got my start in the theatre busiess in 1968. It's true name was North Star Cinema I & II. It was owned and operated by General Cinema Corporation, which was the biggest theatre chain in the nation at the time. It was built in 1964 as a free standing theatre. Soon after I started working there in 1968, they built more mall around us all the way to Joskes, which was also originally free standing.

Some of the stores that North Star Mall had were HEB, Walgreens, Western Auto, Pet Pantry, Hanks Coin Shop, Kresges, Woolworths, Wolff & Marx, National Shirt Shops, Mr. Dunderbak's Bavarian Pantry, Frost Bros., Sims Baldwin pianos, a Barber Shop, Chandler's Shoes, The Branding Iron Restaurant, Luby's, The Tall Texan Restaurant (next door to theatre), The Shower Stall, The Humidor, San Antonio Savings, and so many more that escape me now.

The Cinema was pretty much the premiere movie theatre in town. We had exclusive roadshow engagements of "2001: A Space Odyssey", "Funny Girl", "Oliver" and many others including the 88 week engagement of "The Sound Of Music, before I started working there. That record still stands for the longest run of any movie in San Antonio.

The marquee for North Star Mall usually read simply "99 Doors To Quality".

Last edited by outafocus; 09-29-2011 at 06:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio