Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 08:04 PM

810 posts, read 1,426,639 times

Advertisements

People in Texas can’t drive. Just travel to Colorado and Seattle and you will see what I mean. People in San Antonio drive way too slow and people in Dallas and Houston drive way too fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 08:11 PM

8,399 posts, read 23,006,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
People in Texas can’t drive. Just travel to Colorado and Seattle and you will see what I mean. People in San Antonio drive way too slow and people in Dallas and Houston drive way too fast.
Funny, as when I was in Colorado Springs a few months ago, I probably witnessed more rear-end accidents than I have ever seen in one city...

Old 10-25-2011, 09:11 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,488,614 times
Monthly, I actually see the after effects of an accident on Nacogdoches near 410, but I'm sure accidents happen there much more often. I hear tires skidding on a daily basis, but don't bother to look out every time. Someone just ran into the fence at my apartment complex a couple of days ago in the day time. My sister has been rear-ended twice on Nacogdoches and I was hit from the side once. I really don't understand it. It's not a highway. I would guess that San Antonio drivers are below average, but probably not the worst. One magazine gave us a "D" a few years ago.

My new pet peeve now is when people enter the highway and go straight for the left lane before they are even up to highway speed. They cut across 3 or 4 lanes just to end up right in front of me going 10 mph below the speed limit. No, they aren't trying to get to an interchange or exit; they're just being stupid.

I just heard another skid. How ironic. Is it really that hard to drive on an almost empty road?

Old 10-25-2011, 09:44 PM

490 posts, read 1,095,671 times
Having "bad drivers" is one of those things that every place thinks they own.

It is only second to "weather that changes quickly."...."You know how fast the weather can change HERE" you hear it on almost every nightly newscast across the country, with the only exception being southern california.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:04 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,037,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
Or perhaps they're driving at an appropriate speed in Dallas & Houston & YOU are the one driving too slow.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:34 PM

581 posts, read 1,188,856 times
Eh, they aren’t the best but not the worst. I had a horrible time in Georgia. But I just try to focus on myself, my vehicle and place in space. I *try* to follow protocol and procedure and be defensive in my driving. I just want to get where I need to be alive and not hurt anyone else in the process. So, I deal with it. But what I cannot stand is littering. Classic example: driving down 410 to work this evening and car in front of me over in the right lane throws a hamburger wrapper out that proceeds to graze my windshield. Then out follows the bag itself. Really?! Disgusting!

Old 10-26-2011, 05:37 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,267,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
Oh, I do hate blanket statements like that... no, not all drivers are horrible here and most certainly not all other countries are more strict.

Take Mexico for instance. No written or driving tests required at all... just show your papers, pay your monies, and walk out with a DL, I know this for a fact. Then just take a look at India, OMG!

And, as far as the US worst? As someone else already pointed out, every major - and even non-major - city has their share of some of the worst drivers. But, if I were to pick the scariest now, Houston would be my top pick (sorry Houston)... just because of the racetrack speed during non-commute hours!
Yes, and with that said, driving in the RGV is even worse than SA. It's like JV Mexico.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:31 AM

297 posts, read 730,146 times
I just seems people tailgate all the time and that is when I am going the posted speed limit. It is very frustrating. And the women who are putting on their makeup in the car while they are driving!! And another thing I see a lot is people driving while reading a magazine...how is that possible. Ah and the 17 year old girls texting...

Old 10-26-2011, 07:05 AM

487 posts, read 992,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlorifiedMalcontent View Post
sa roadways are definitely something to get used to. some of the features are helpful (access roads, turnarounds, etc) but are often times ill planned and inconsistent. coupled with the roads always being worked on, ripped up and changed. i was often told how advanced the system here was, how the turnarounds and access roads made it easier to get back to where you need, so missing an exit isn't such a big deal as it would be in cities that don't have that kind of layout... of course that theory seems to fly out the window every time i see a guy in the fast lane cut across five lanes of traffic without looking to get to an exit.
Hmm...have you been to Boston? I once missed an exit and it took me over half and hour to get back to where I wanted to be.

Many of us cities have terrible layouts, particularly in the east coast...

Old 10-26-2011, 07:11 AM

487 posts, read 992,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
Oh, I do hate blanket statements like that... no, not all drivers are horrible here and most certainly not all other countries are more strict.

Take Mexico for instance. No written or driving tests required at all... just show your papers, pay your monies, and walk out with a DL, I know this for a fact. Then just take a look at India, OMG!

And, as far as the US worst? As someone else already pointed out, every major - and even non-major - city has their share of some of the worst drivers. But, if I were to pick the scariest now, Houston would be my top pick (sorry Houston)... just because of the racetrack speed during non-commute hours!
HHmm...you seem to hate blanket statements, but you are quick to make several ones. In many places in Mexico (I don't know every place) people ARE required to take written and driving test. I remember I did... so much for facts...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio