Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 11:01 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,369,604 times

Advertisements

As reported on KSAT. We are number 20 on the list of US cities with the worst drivers. Knew it wasn't just me thinking it!

Old 01-31-2013, 11:06 AM

172 posts, read 238,644 times
LOL, I've been participating in another thread just about how people can't figure out simple left turns here. Also complained about Merging and Yielding practices. It's hysterical, I'm not a native from here, but from somewhere much more crowded. I think its just because most people here have no clue how to drive defensively, either they drive aggressive or scared. I love living here, but driving here scares the hell out of me! LOL!

Old 01-31-2013, 11:15 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,369,604 times
I have never lived anywhere else where people are so maniacal in their defense of their God given right to drive in the left lane of a limited access freeway/interstate while going 10mph under the posted speed limit. Give it a minute, they'll show up on cue. They seem to see themselves as unsolicited guardians of the freeway, righters of wrongs, champions of the common man. Another commonly seen problem unique to San Antonio is the lastminute.com guy/gal. The person that waits until they are parallel with their exit to cross 3-4 lanes of traffic to exit. Why should they get in line like the rest of the rabble? These are the same ones that will go from the on ramp to the far left lane of a freeway without ever getting above 45mph, and with no regard to traffic already on the freeway. They seem to think that turn signals (on the rare occasion they are actually used) magically part traffic like Moses and the Red Sea. But, aside from these, my favorite is the completely overt San Antonio texter. You see them every day. Weaving across 2 or 3 different lanes of the freeway, going 10-15mph below the posted speed limit, and completely oblivious to the world outside the 3.5 inch screen of their smartphone of choice. They make to attempt to even appear that they are in control of their vehicle. Wish SAPD would start enforcing the law, they aren't hard to spot.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:10 PM

77 posts, read 162,654 times
In other news, the sun is hot.

Yes, San Antonio has the biggest collection of idiots in the world. Its no wonder why they are idiots behind the wheel too.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:10 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,319,407 times
All the major Texas cities are on this list. I'd say its about right too. Texas just has terrible drivers I guess.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:14 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,620,661 times
Default Yielding

In all the years driving in San Antonio.
I have never seen & probably never will see it happen.
I'm referring to the following...

"When exiting the freeway..the drivers on the access rd.
do not obey the "Yield " sign to allow drivers to exit the freeway...

Old 01-31-2013, 03:16 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,947 times
I'm a bad driver *hangs head in shame*

Old 01-31-2013, 03:54 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,737,643 times
I can't argue with a well known fact. Especially on an undivided road. The turning lane is to make a right or left turn. It is not an extra lane for traffic. The only two things I dislike about San Antonio are the brutally hot summers and the drivers.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:45 PM

210 posts, read 502,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
I have never lived anywhere else where people are so maniacal in their defense of their God given right to drive in the left lane of a limited access freeway/interstate while going 10mph under the posted speed limit. Give it a minute, they'll show up on cue. They seem to see themselves as unsolicited guardians of the freeway, righters of wrongs, champions of the common man. Another commonly seen problem unique to San Antonio is the lastminute.com guy/gal. The person that waits until they are parallel with their exit to cross 3-4 lanes of traffic to exit. Why should they get in line like the rest of the rabble? These are the same ones that will go from the on ramp to the far left lane of a freeway without ever getting above 45mph, and with no regard to traffic already on the freeway. They seem to think that turn signals (on the rare occasion they are actually used) magically part traffic like Moses and the Red Sea. But, aside from these, my favorite is the completely overt San Antonio texter. You see them every day. Weaving across 2 or 3 different lanes of the freeway, going 10-15mph below the posted speed limit, and completely oblivious to the world outside the 3.5 inch screen of their smartphone of choice. They make to attempt to even appear that they are in control of their vehicle. Wish SAPD would start enforcing the law, they aren't hard to spot.
NGL, I'm more concerned about the speeders than the non-speeders - I've encountered 10 times as many people driving 10-15mph (if not more!) over the speed limit, weaving in and out acted like the road is theirs, than the opposite. I do smack-bang on the speed limit all the time (I'm stupidly paranoid about speeding) and the amount of people riding my a#@ all the time is unreal. GET. OFF. MY. BUMPER. The stretch of road on 1604 from Braun to Wiseman is posted (many times!) as 60mph, but people are constantly going 75-80mph. Constantly. Annoys me so damn much. I'm dying for the day a cop car sits hidden by the walls of the bridge on 1604 over Culebra and catches all of these speeders.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:22 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,620,661 times
Default Bad Drivers

For 27 years, part of my job was to video traffic fatalities all over the
San Antonio roads. I did this for the 5 & 10 newscasts. I hardly ever
watched the news .
Now retired, when ever I see bad driving or speeding...I know
that sooner or later the odds will catch up & they'll be dead. The sad part
is the innocent people that they kill...ordinarily I end my post
with a smiley.....not this time.

Last edited by ranchodrive; 01-31-2013 at 05:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio