Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 02:08 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times

Advertisements

I've worked with and have done ride-alongs with many departments in the South Central and Central Texas areas. While I think that SAPD is one of the most unprofessional of the bunch, I'm still surprised that they've had so many scandals in the past couple of weeks.

https://m.sacurrent.com/the-daily/ar...med-police-say

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...o-13320936.php

https://www.ksat.com/news/sapd-comma...l-investigator

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...s-13320730.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 03:10 AM

BCSO is not doing any better. So far this year they've had problems with inmate escapes, pre-arranged fights between inmates and deputies, and 22 deputies have been arrested.

Old 10-22-2018, 03:24 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
I think police scandals happen everywhere, we just don't read the local news of other cities.
The morale is low, the training and the selection to their force inadequate.
Over the years we had many cops in our psychiatric hospital with all kind and severity of mental illness. From depression to bipolar to schizophrenia, suicide and homicide ideations, all levels of psychosis, hallucinations, drugs dependency, you name it. Many in complete denial as to their mental condition.
They came for a treatment, stayed for several days to two weeks, got their medications adjusted and went ... back to work.
Go figure...

Old 10-22-2018, 04:00 AM

BCSO just changed their hiring standards, so they're now stricter than SAPD's. Instead of only disqualifying applicants for convictions, they're now disqualifying them for past arrests. The head of the jail recently resigned; rumor has it that he wasn't a good fit for the job.

Most of the psychiatric disorders you listed should be disqualifying. I don't know how often BCSO and SAPD conduct psychiatric testing. Most departments only conduct testing during the hiring process.

I don't know if you can blame cover-ups by high-ranking officers on mental health. SAPD needs to clean house and probably replace McManus.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:42 AM

232 posts, read 379,961 times
The fish always stinks from the head. SAPD has been going downhill ever since they hired chump magnovox, the first time. They never should have rehired him after he "retired".

Old 10-22-2018, 09:07 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Dearest OP: So apply and suit up. Or please tell us your occupation so that we can pick it apart. Probably lots of people suffering with mental illness and/or bad character in every profession, dontcha think?

Old 10-22-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Dearest OP: So apply and suit up. Or please tell us your occupation so that we can pick it apart. Probably lots of people suffering with mental illness and/or bad character in every profession, dontcha think?
Most occupations don't require psychological testing or extensive background checks because they neither carry guns nor have the power of arrest. There's a reason why standards are higher for peace officers and county jailers.

I've worked for three law enforcement agencies, taught criminal justice, and I'm earning a PhD in criminal justice. I've taken multiple psychological tests. You want to pick apart my field? Go ahead. You can start with BCSO.

Last edited by L210; 10-22-2018 at 09:54 AM..

Old 10-22-2018, 09:54 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Well, maybe you will have all the solutions then. I'm sure you're not just cop-bashing, in spite of your negativity towards San Antonio police. So we'll all be happy to hear your ideas, besides replacing McManus and "cleaning house."

Old 10-22-2018, 09:59 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
McManus does need to go, I have felt that way ever since he just let a trailer load of illegal immigrants go free.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Well, maybe you will have all the solutions then. I'm sure you're not just cop-bashing, in spite of your negativity towards San Antonio police. So we'll all be happy to hear your ideas, besides replacing McManus and "cleaning house."
I'm an advocate for increasing educational requirements for police officers. A study done in Florida found that officers with college degrees had fewer disciplinary actions taken against them. I'm also an advocate for raising pay at BCSO. It's hard to recruit and keep top talent when there are other sheriff's departments that pay significantly more. SAPD's civil service contract limits how much merit factors into promotions. But, sometimes, the problem really is leadership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio