Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 04:19 PM

311 posts, read 845,695 times

Advertisements

Just about done with at&t. My daughter & I are looking to switch to another carrier. I'm thinking that cricket looks pretty good. We don't travel too much - my hubby does & he's staying with at&t but his company is paying his bill. Anyway, I'm thinking of going w/ cricket but only know one person that has it. She's pretty happy with it but everyone she calls lives here in town. We are former military & have friends & family scattered all over so we call lots of states. Any input? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 04:25 PM

299 posts, read 607,760 times
You can call whoever you want, whenever you want. It's not a bad plan for the money. But I wouldn't get it because their coverage area is so small! I mean VERY small! For a good value, check out the plans Walmart has. They piggyback on the TMobile network, so the coverage is much greater than Cricket's. Walmart.com: Electronics: Family Mobile

Old 11-10-2011, 04:34 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,622,545 times
cricket is nationwide now. i guess that qualifies as small?

ive had cricket as my business and personal line since pocket was going. i didnt travel much outside the calling area, so it was ideal. moreso now, with nationwide coverage. some areas are still considered roaming, but pretty much every major city is included in their nationwide coverage plan.

Nationwide Coverage | Cricket Wireless

FWIW i have the 35$ plan w/ insurance. bill is less than 81$ a month, 2 phones. no dropped calls, sometimes texts will arrive late, but ive had that problem on sprint and ATT, so its not cricket-specific.

cant comment on their mobile web, as i dont use my phone for the internet, only talk and pic texting.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:35 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,406,200 times
I have been a Cricket Wireless customer since November 2007 and I'm never going to switch to one of the big four!

#1. I hate contracts with a passion. How do I know if I still want their service 2 years from now? I don't.

#2.
It's cheap!

#3: You aren't restricted with the phones you can use and their phone offerings have seen drastic improvement over the last couple of years and you can flash most CDMA phones from one of the big CDMA carriers to Cricket.

VERY SOON (by the end of this year, early next year), Cricket will be releasing the "Huawei Mercury" phone. It's Android based, faster (in terms of specs) than the extremely popular HTC EVO 4G (on Sprint), and it has the same screen size as the EVO 4G.

If you choose not to buy one of their phones, you can buy a CDMA-compatible-flashable "BAD ESN" phone on Ebay, root it and flash it yourself or pay someone to get it flashed to Cricket.

I rooted a "bad ESN" phone I bought on Ebay and then flashed it myself and put it on my Cricket account.

What's a "bad ESN" phone, you ask?! It's a phone on a carrier for which a customer didn't pay their bill in full, as such, the phone cannot be reactivated on that carrier until it's paid in full.

Now of course who would pay someone's bill in full just to use a phone? Nobody. What you do, is you take that phone and use it on Cricket Wireless. Since they are two different companies, it can be used on Cricket even if there was a balance owed with Sprint (a different carrier).

You can buy a used (but in good condition) HTC EVO 4G phone that has a "bad ESN" on Ebay for around $150.00. Then root it (rooting an Android phone allows you to be able to flash it), and then after it's rooted you flash it and then call Cricket and put it on your account.

Simple as that!

For $42.00 a month (taxes included) I get unlimited nationwide minutes, unlimited picture texts, unlimited sms (regular texts), unlimited 411, and mobile web!

Once your Android phone is rooted, you can customize the phone ALL YOU WANT in ways you wouldn't believe! The "Android Marketplace," which is the "Apple App Store" equivalent, has so many amazing apps that can ONLY be used with "rooted phones."

One of the coolest rooted apps is: Open Garden Wifi Tether. With this app, you can use Cricket's mobile internet and turn the phone into a WIFI hotspot thereby allowing you to use your Cricket Wireless' internet to connect to your laptop "anywhere" you have Cricket Wireless 3G service (which is in most major cities in this country) or you can use it to connect Cricket's internet to your computer/laptop at home to save money over expensive broadband internet from Time Warner/AT&T etc. Of course, you won't get blazing broadband speed, but it'll do just fine for web browsing and surfing.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:37 PM

472 posts, read 1,075,721 times
I left Tmobile after 11 years of getting poked with their high priced plans with the strangle-hold contracts,...I went with Cricket, and been happy with them for the last 3 years,..Blackberry plan with Cricket Blackberry phone,...$55 month, unlimited use,..I'm just afraid if you have an iPhone with AT&T,..you're not gonna be happy with Cricket,...you'll have to get use to it,...

Old 11-10-2011, 06:48 PM

311 posts, read 845,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachuco2 View Post
I left Tmobile after 11 years of getting poked with their high priced plans with the strangle-hold contracts,...I went with Cricket, and been happy with them for the last 3 years,..Blackberry plan with Cricket Blackberry phone,...$55 month, unlimited use,..I'm just afraid if you have an iPhone with AT&T,..you're not gonna be happy with Cricket,...you'll have to get use to it,...
Thanks for all of this great information everyone I don't have an iPhone. I've got a samsung strive & currently just use the phone / text features so if I get the $55 plan on cricket it will be the first time I've used a phone for the web. Yeah, I'm behind the times ;-) I'm probably going to get the 30 (or 35?) plan for the kiddo as she just needs to be able to call/text a few people.

The walmart plan (mentioned earlier) is a big jump in price from what I could get the 2 lines I could get through cricket.

Have any of you ported your phone number from one of the big carriers to cricket? If so, how did that work out?

Old 11-10-2011, 06:58 PM

554 posts, read 1,065,769 times
I think it depends on where you want to use your phone in the area. My son had a phone on Cricket, and the coverage was somewhat spotty where we live just west of town. His biggest complaint was receiving texts late. We switched him over to an Android phone on Boost Mobile. Boost also has no contracts, and uses the Sprint network. Their Android plans which includes unlimited text, talk and internet is $50/month ($55 with tax) and decrease by $5 for every 6 months you pay on time. He is really happy with Boost. I believe the Cricket plan for Androids is $55 before taxes.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:33 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,216,327 times
Virgin Mobile also uses the Sprint Network, they are no contract also. I have had them for a few months, I like them just fine.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:56 PM

472 posts, read 1,075,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA08 View Post
Thanks for all of this great information everyone I don't have an iPhone. I've got a samsung strive & currently just use the phone / text features so if I get the $55 plan on cricket it will be the first time I've used a phone for the web. Yeah, I'm behind the times ;-) I'm probably going to get the 30 (or 35?) plan for the kiddo as she just needs to be able to call/text a few people.

The walmart plan (mentioned earlier) is a big jump in price from what I could get the 2 lines I could get through cricket.

Have any of you ported your phone number from one of the big carriers to cricket? If so, how did that work out?
Yes,..you can port your # to Cricket,...of course you'll need to tell them when you're doing the switchover...

Old 11-10-2011, 08:02 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
I have a business associate that had Cricket. While cheap, dropped calls were common along with no service areas. I had T Mobile for 13 years and their lack of decent phones caused me to change over to Verizon. Yeah, Big V is higher and I don't get the minutes I had with T Mobile but I have eons more coverage and a decent phone that I didn't have to take everything they offered to to get the phone. The sales folks at T Mobile are also among the most clueless folks I've encountered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio