Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 07:00 PM

448 posts, read 919,533 times

Advertisements

From San Antonio Business Journal:

Workforce Solutions Alamo is hosting a job fair in Floresville, Texas, to help GEO Group to fill 400 jobs just south of San Antonio.

The company is building a new facility in Kenedy, Texas, and needs to fill open and available positions. Interested applicants should visit WorkInTexas.com Home: Helping Texans Work Better. to see a list of available jobs. The job fair will be held at the Floresville Workforce Center on Nov. 29 from noon to 7 p.m. The pay range for the positions ranges from $9 per hour to $70,000 per year.

Read More:
GEO Group to hire 400 positions in South Texas - San Antonio Business Journal

From KSAT.com:

San Antonio job seekers will have more opportunities for employment, thanks to the Eagle Ford shale oil and gas field and, more specifically, Halliburton.

The product and service supply company broke ground on regional offices Thursday.

"It's actually the biggest single day of economic development and jobs announcement since Toyota," said Henry Cisneros, the chairman of the San Antonio Economic Development Foundation.

Those jobs number over a thousand.

"What we are talking about here is employing about 1,500 people," said Joe Foster, the South Texas area vice president for Halliburton.

Read More:
Halliburton to bring 1,000 jobs to SA area | News - Home

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 08:17 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,412,885 times
Oh, but Halliburton is so EVIL....right, people? COME ON! Corporations making money?! Greedy ba*tards! RIGHT?!

Oh...yeah...they also employ people. Provide benefits like medical, dental, vision, retirement. Pay bonuses and the like. Whoopsie! My bad.

(Yay Halliburton! )

Old 11-17-2011, 08:26 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,892,818 times
It looks like the heavy traffic from Floresville to SA for work will now be in both directions. SA to Floresville will be a crowded drive now

Old 11-17-2011, 11:16 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,481,358 times
I could be wrong because I haven't checked WorkinTexas.com in about a week, but I think the GEO Group only has two openings in San Antonio that pay a middle class salary, the rest seem to be in the $9 an hour range. There are some positions that pay around $12 to $16 an hour, but they're outside of San Antonio. It might be worth it to drive if you're unemployed and can't find anything else. Karnes City is too far for me. I applied for two positions and got called for an interview. I was told over the phone that the base pay was $9 an hour, but I would get a little more pay for my bachelor's degree. I told them I was looking for at least $14 to $15 an hour and the guy on the phone said that was out of the salary range for the position. No thank you! I make more than $9 an hour now and I don't have to work with juvenile delinquents with mental health issues.

I don't think my education or experience would apply to a job at Halliburton, so I won't have a chance to sell my soul to the devil. Halliburton is not evil because it makes money; it's evil because it has done evil things.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:07 AM

905 posts, read 1,632,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I'm sorry you aren't an informed citizen.
Haliburton evil??? Because of pioneering new innovasions in technology?? creating jobs, infrasuructure where we won't have to rely on foreign oil in the near future??

Sure with new technology there are negative implications; a good example is cell phones may be causing brain tumore/cancer but with progress in technology there are always solutions to better improve the product..

I'm pro Haliburton and Chesapeake and all the other oil companies and all the other companies that support the oil companies that are coming in to make the Eagle Ford Shale project a huge success!!!

Old 11-18-2011, 08:16 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,481,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggeorgie View Post
Haliburton evil??? Because of pioneering new innovasions in technology?? creating jobs, infrasuructure where we won't have to rely on foreign oil in the near future??

Sure with new technology there are negative implications; a good example is cell phones may be causing brain tumore/cancer but with progress in technology there are always solutions to better improve the product..

I'm pro Haliburton and Chesapeake and all the other oil companies and all the other companies that support the oil companies that are coming in to make the Eagle Ford Shale project a huge success!!!
Wow, I guess people are less informed than I thought. I won't go into the corruption at Halliburton because it would be considered off-topic for this forum.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:48 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,935,082 times
Fuel Fix » Halliburton to hire 1,500 for work in San Antonio area

Good fortune for SA.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:37 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,590,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
It looks like the heavy traffic from Floresville to SA for work will now be in both directions. SA to Floresville will be a crowded drive now
Yep, 181 is already very crowded in one direction. This is just another case of greed getting in the way of common sense. Traffic lights are going up on 181 just like they did on 281 on the north side of SA many years ago. Traffic lights are cheap. They just want to get the tax base up in Wilson County by letting developers clear large tracts of land to build subdivisions without making them poney up enough of their profits to build traffic infrastructure to handle the increased traffic. One of these days, and it won't be long, this area will be as big of a CF as 1604 & 281. We should demand better from our elected officials. I would not be surprised to find that the people in power are lining their pockets with developer money just to let them have their way with the area until they can make their money and move on.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:06 AM

21 posts, read 32,723 times
This plus the slew of other oil companies building on the far southeast side is going to transform that area.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:11 AM

21 posts, read 32,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
Yep, 181 is already very crowded in one direction. This is just another case of greed getting in the way of common sense. Traffic lights are going up on 181 just like they did on 281 on the north side of SA many years ago. Traffic lights are cheap. They just want to get the tax base up in Wilson County by letting developers clear large tracts of land to build subdivisions without making them poney up enough of their profits to build traffic infrastructure to handle the increased traffic. One of these days, and it won't be long, this area will be as big of a CF as 1604 & 281. We should demand better from our elected officials. I would not be surprised to find that the people in power are lining their pockets with developer money just to let them have their way with the area until they can make their money and move on.
Then I suggest you and others act now and try and get the correct infrastructure improves before it's too late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio