Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 02:13 PM

472 posts, read 1,793,246 times

Advertisements

Some of the hundreds of new laws that go into effect in Texas on Sept. 1...

---

-ELDERLY DRIVERS: Known as "Katie's Law," requires drivers 79 and older to renew licenses in person. At age 85, renewal period drops from every six years to two years. Named after 17-year-old Katie Bolka, who was killed in 2006 when an elderly driver ran a red light.

-SPEEDING TICKETS: Drivers ticketed at more than 95 mph cannot take a driving safety class to dismiss the citation.

-MARIJUANA: Police will have discretion to issue citations instead of arresting those in possession of four ounces or less of marijuana. The offender must live in the county where they are stopped and must not be considered a threat to public safety.

-CHILD PREDATORS: "Jessica's Law," named after 9-year-old Jessica Lunsford, a Florida girl who was sexually abused and murdered, allows prosecutors to seek the death penalty for some repeat child sex offenders.

-MISSING SENIORS: The state will develop an alert system for missing senior citizens similar to the current Amber Alert program used for abducted children.

-CASTLE DOCTRINE: Removes the requirement that someone must try to retreat before using deadly force to defend themselves.

-SEARCH WARRANTS: Allows courts to seal from the public and media search warrant affidavits for up to 60 days.

-DOG OWNERS: Dog owners whose pets attack and seriously injure someone could face up to 10 years in prison. If the attack is fatal, it could be up to 20 years.

-CHILDREN'S HEALTH: As part of the state budget, more than 100,000 additional children could be added to the state's Children's Health Insurance Program.

The one in bold peaked my interest. Its about time too. Stop waisting jail space and stop using cruel and unsual punishment for something everyone does anyway.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:21 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,400,668 times
hmmm, Texas is getting almost as good as my home town used to be. I'm originally from Ann Arbor, MI where they were the home of the $5 fine for minor possession of under 4 oz's and not distributing. I actually got one of them when I was 17 Now there's a fine of over $100, which blows

Lots of other good laws too, especially the upgraded Castle and forcing the older people to go in and renew in person.. some of them seriously shouldn't be on the road

Old 08-30-2007, 02:54 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,715,840 times
Well, if it's illegal, why do it? Just cuz "everyone else does" is not a reason. Don't give in to peer pressure. All the maji users I knew have major issues now as they ended up trying other drugs.

Not saying you are....

Old 08-30-2007, 03:47 PM

472 posts, read 1,793,246 times
I apologize, I should not have said everyone but I hope you understand that I didn’t literally mean everyone. The thing is here we are, its 2007 and the fact that Marijuana Prohibition is still in place is ridiculous. I personally feel that if you are not for decriminalization of pot then you fully support the drug dealers. Who else benefits from the illegality of marijuana? If everyone would just realize that it would be more of a benefit to decriminalize our country would be a better place. It needs to be treated like alcohol and tobacco. Tax it and make money instead of wasting money on trying to fight it.

Please let me make myself totally clear that I do not support decriminalization or legalization of any hard drugs but I do believe that money needs to be spent more on treatment and education than on a Drug War that is not winnable.

I do understand that it is hard for normal people to get why decriminalization is important but you should be open minded. The only bad thing about pot is the fact that it is illegal. It has been demonized for so long that you actually think it is bad. It is not healthy and you should not operate heavy machinery under the influence but that’s a given. You don’t hear about people dying or being killed from use of pot alone. If that is the argument then we definitely need to make alcohol illegal right away. How many people die at the hands of drunk drivers and jail sentences are sometimes less for that than possession.

All that pot does is makes you feel like you're on vacation on a nice beach, that and it gives you the munchies. People should be allowed to use it for medical, spiritual and recreation purposes. The argument about pot leading to harder drugs is also ridiculous. All that says is that person is an idiot for trying harder drugs.

If you can grow your own then there is no need for drug dealers. People will know exactly what they are smoking. Quality pot is like a fine Cigar or a perfectly aged wine. Also take the time and find out why it was made illegal in the first place. It was due to racism against Mexicans and Blacks and nothing more.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:15 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,715,840 times
Hi Dube,
I wasn't pointing the finger at you, don't worry. I've heard arguments from both sides. It is controversial.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:19 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,042,880 times
I'm sure this 9 month old's grandparents don't think marijuana should be legalized. I guess one could argue that mom could have just picked some up at the grocery store if it WERE legal, however, my argument is that it makes you stupid and forgetful, and this baby is dead because of it.
FOXNews.com - Florida Mom Charged in Bathtub Drowning Death of 9-Month-Old Son - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Old 08-30-2007, 04:26 PM

People are born stupid (the woman in that article DEFINITELY is a poster girl for stupid!) and smoking something isn't going to change that.. it's no different than a couple beers, not to mention it's 100% natural and who doesn't think that everything is here for a reason? except roaches of course, they all need to die

Old 08-30-2007, 04:56 PM

So maybe only stupid people smoke pot.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:17 PM

we'll agree to disagree there...

well, I don't actually smoke anything anymore, but I used to as a kid and I 100% support legalizing it and TAXING it..

Old 08-30-2007, 05:50 PM

OK, agreed. I made that statement tongue-in-cheek anyway. But as a former smoker, you must admit that you became forgetful, and yes, probably a little stupid (while using). Short-term memory loss is one of the side effects of marijuana usage, and when you laugh at anything and everything and scarf mass quantities of food to satisfy the munchies, you may come across as a little "stupid." So, yes, there are plenty of stupid people out there that have never smoked at all, and yes, some people who smoke pot are stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: