Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 09:36 PM

3 posts, read 5,148 times

Advertisements

We (myself, husband, 4 children) may be relocating to San Antonio from Hawaii. If so, my husband will be working at the SAPD. I would LOVE to live in an ACTIVE community. Somewhere:

- people walk their dogs and go for jogs in the early mornings and evenings.

- parks and recreation are nearby

- people are friendly

- diverse

- safe

Is there any such neighborhood in San Antonio?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 10:28 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Sure - most any of 'em fit that bill.....

Old 01-06-2012, 11:12 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
There are plenty of unsafe neighborhoods on the east and west sides. There are also a lot of neighborhoods on the east, south, and west sides where people don't jog because stray dogs will attack them. There are pockets of nice neighborhoods near downtown, but there's a lot more to choose from outside of 410 on the northwest, north central, and northeast sides. The northeast side of San Antonio is the most diverse part of town with a mixture of blacks, whites, Asians and Hispanics and wealthy, middle-class, and working class people. There are small pockets of diversity on the northwest and west sides.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:14 AM

27 posts, read 52,622 times
So. I'd like to let you know I was having a field day explaining all the great places and neighborhoods to go. Literally 10-11 paragraphs full and I accidentally press backspace. So in a nutshell...

There are many on going Park Projects, 2 of which I know of is the Phil Hardberger Park project and the Leon Creek Greenway Project. Living close to these projects (which spans for miles) is your best bet which include anything north of 410.
Some notables are
Shavano Park*
Hill Country Village*
Churchill Forest*
Whisper Hollow*
Thousand Oaks*
Hart Ranch/Babcock North
Stone Oak
Rogers Ranch*
Elm Creek.

Anything within bandera-I10 and I10-281 basically.

For anything central San Antonio there is the King William District (you'd love it, I've seen people jogging through the historic neighborhoods with its large trees or down in the riverwalk early in the morning or late at night which I might add, is not a touristy busy area, very communal)
North East of downtown is the Terrell Hills/Olmos Park/Alamo heights area. Great for kids, the city zoo and the beautiful Japanese Tea gardens are in the area along with Museums and whole-in-the-wall restaurants.

Hope this helped with the neighborhoods/areas you asked for

Old 01-07-2012, 06:00 AM

93 posts, read 95,077 times
In some of the neighborhoods, those people aren't actually jogging..they're running...away from the cops.
The dog walking is another thing, they're either walking a stolen dog, or they are walking to a secluded area where they can then set it free...to roam the city streets along with the countless number of other strays.
I know, things are slowwwwwly improving (posters always say this)...very slowly.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:48 AM

268 posts, read 593,937 times
In promoting where I live, Castle Hills is great. Many joggers, walkers and baby walkers as more young people move in. It's actually an incorporated city surrounded by SA near North Star Mall. It has a great elementary school and a small park by our city hall. It really is located in a great central location between downtown and way out on 1604 .

And another thing, if you leave your garage door open and one of our policemen drives by and sees it, say after 10 PM, they will come to your front door and let you know about it.

Here is the city link: City of Castle Hills, Texas

Old 01-07-2012, 03:18 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
As TexasRedNeck said, that describes a lot of places in San Antonio. You will know what neighborhoods to avoid by the look of them, it will be abundantly clear; so don't worry about it.

I would recommend getting a good realtor, as that will help considerably.

As for how safe San Antonio is overall, comparably it is much better than most cities of its size. Our greatest problem is property crime (petty theft), but that can be easily combated by using a little common sense. Being that your husband is going to work for the police department, you probably know most of it already.

Speaking of which, do you know if he's going to be working at the headquarters downtown, the academy or at one of the substations? That will factor into where you'll want to look.

But for the most part, there are a lot of choices that meet your criteria. We love it here, being "transplants," and I hope you'll find it equally enjoyable. It is a great city with lots to do (especially for families), great weather (well, coming from Hawaii it will be different, a bit hotter and drier), and great people.

Cheers! M2

Old 01-07-2012, 07:26 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,047,374 times
If your husband was with HPD, hope he realizes that marijuana is actually illegal here in Texas (it was illegal when i lived in Hawaii but seems like HPD officers thought it was not!).

Back to subject at hand, I agree with TR and M2 except for any area having true "diversity" and you're going to find that "laid back" here is a little different from Hawaii.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:44 PM

40 posts, read 108,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jess7881 View Post
We (myself, husband, 4 children) may be relocating to San Antonio from Hawaii. If so, my husband will be working at the SAPD. I would LOVE to live in an ACTIVE community. Somewhere:

- people walk their dogs and go for jogs in the early mornings and evenings.

- parks and recreation are nearby

- people are friendly

- diverse

- safe

Is there any such neighborhood in San Antonio?
There are hundreds of neighborhoods like this in San Antonio. It's not like it's non-existent lol.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:54 PM

27 posts, read 52,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My_3_M_Angels View Post
There are hundreds of neighborhoods like this in San Antonio. It's not like it's non-existent lol.
I think though from her being out of town, she'd like a specific region or maybe a few neighborhoods to help or aid in her search considering not all neighborhoods are safe or kid friendly, also adding quality schools and amenities.

Neighborhoods in hawaii are very different from the contiguous US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio