Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 02:17 PM

923 posts, read 1,502,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggeorgie View Post
Hey wait! Did someone just mention it's zoned commercial?? Moderator cut: Off-Topic
Moderator cut: Off-Topic
Putting a business there would at least be an honest and appropriate use of the property, since it is zoned commercial (and NOT zoned residential).

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 02-21-2012 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: repaired quote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 02:22 PM

905 posts, read 1,631,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chud View Post
Putting a business there would at least be an honest and appropriate use of the property, since it is zoned commercial (and NOT zoned residential).
Moderator cut: Orphaned No disrespect to the Stone Oak Residents.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 02-20-2012 at 06:39 PM..

Old 02-20-2012, 02:43 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,541,701 times
yep, cause 68 senior citizens are going to bring down the neighborhood....there ya go.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:49 PM

487 posts, read 992,105 times
Quote:

You are using the downhill street as an argument against the apartments, however, you seem to support a commercial development. My guess is that some businesses would have even more traffic in and out that senior-living apartments, so not sure your argument holds water.

Besides, it's not like Stone Oak is very upscale and exclusive either. Some houses and apartments are pretty average to be generous. Some businesses are mediocre at best. It's not like it's Bel-Air or Beacon Hill.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 02-20-2012 at 06:40 PM..

Old 02-20-2012, 02:51 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Ridiculous. Low income properties should not be located in a high income area. Nor should those monster churches that deprive the county/city of a solid tax base to support services.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:59 PM

923 posts, read 1,502,935 times
Moderator cut: Orphaned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amexicano View Post
You are using the downhill street as an argument against the apartments, however, you seem to support a commercial development. My guess is that some businesses would have even more traffic in and out that senior-living apartments, so not sure your argument holds water.
The property is zoned commercial. It is in between two commercial businesses. Building another business there would meet the zoning requirements, and make sense.
Changing the zoning to residential, and building an apartment in between two commercial businesses would not make sense. I think it's a stretch to try to zone that lot residential, given what is around it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amexicano View Post
Besides, it's not like Stone Oak is very upscale and exclusive either. Some houses and apartments are pretty average to be generous. Some businesses are mediocre at best. It's not like it's Bel-Air or Beacon Hill.
I did not make any kind of argument about that, but whatever.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 02-20-2012 at 06:42 PM..

Old 02-20-2012, 03:37 PM

487 posts, read 992,105 times
Quote:

Moderator cut: Orphaned

The property is zoned commercial. It is in between two commercial businesses. Building another business there would meet the zoning requirements, and make sense.
Changing the zoning to residential, and building an apartment in between two commercial businesses would not make sense. I think it's a stretch to try to zone that lot residential, given what is around it.

I did not make any kind of argument about that, but whatever.
Hey, it's not all about you...first two arguments were directed at you, the other one was directed to other posters.

But you didn't address my second point, just repeated your comment about being zoned commercial. You argued that slope would make entering and exiting from the place dangerous, which is the same whether it's commercial or residential. By the way, rezoning is very normal in any city, if the new use makes sense.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 02-20-2012 at 06:44 PM..

Old 02-21-2012, 01:25 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,067 times
I don't live there so I don't have a say but the "it's dangerous to go downhill soooooooo fast while seniors are exiting their residence" sounds extremely disingenuous to me for the simple fact that cars have brakes.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:12 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,340,378 times
I do live here and I hate that hill. It's a steep decline, which immediately stops at an intersection and drivers fly down that thing at ridiculous speeds. Plus it really needs to be paved so now you have people swerving around potholes too. The complaint is justified.

And 67 cars pulling in and out of an apartment complex at all different times would be a little different than, say, a single car pulling into a jewelry store once an hour or so, so I also understand the argument of keeping it commercial zoning.

Also question the age of the tenants. Most states, "senior" is classified as 55 and older. And if only ONE person in the household has to be 55 or older to rent one of these apartments -- as some of the guidelines indicate -- well than you can have a 55 year old guy living there with kids or grandkids. That's a completely different atmosphere than an "old folks home" and even MORE cars and traffic. And it looks like they would allow Section 8 families as well. I've had some pretty horrific experiences with Section 8 tenants, so the thought of that concerns me too.

The neighbors have questions about this project, justifiably so. No need to start the attack, they are being concerned citizens who want to keep the integrity of their neighborhood.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:50 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
I don't live there so I don't have a say but the "it's dangerous to go downhill soooooooo fast while seniors are exiting their residence" sounds extremely disingenuous to me for the simple fact that cars have brakes.
I don't even live there but I have been there enough to know that it is NOT disingenuous to be concerned about seniors exiting near that hill. Most seniors tend to drive UNDER the speed limit due to impaired senses.

Cars have brakes? Useless arguement, the car doesn't stop until the driver applies the brakes so proper and safe driving in that area depends on the driver, not the brakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio