Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 07:35 AM

208 posts, read 382,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by niembre View Post
Next I need to try out Youz Guys for a Philly Cheese steak, I've heard they're the best in San Antonio.
AVOID !!!!!!! unless they've changed the set up from when they first opened (friends and i went there with great expectations) it's like eating fajita meat on a roll . i get why the owner went that way, if you think about it, back in Philly, cheesesteaks are essentially nothing more than greasy, flavorless meat with cheese on a flavorsome roll . it's why you add onions, mushrooms, sauce and the such . but we grew up with it . here......they're used to that shredded meat being marinated .

so while i don't fault the owner too much (gotta sell to your available market, sandwiches aren't that big here....sorry REAL sandwiches), i can't eat it . plus (if you go in, you'll see what i mean) how can you trust an ex-philly cop from south philly who's a fins fan ??

oddly the closest i've come to a real cheesteak is the Phil's Philly Grille franchise at ingram mall . rolls are pretty good, they don't call it a ''philly cheesesteak'', and you can get it with american (thank you God!) .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 08:12 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,776,563 times
Freddy's had the best philly cheese steak in town when they used to sell it. For some reason, they pulled it off the menu last time I was there. (I rarely go)

I didn't expect to like it there either but I was surprised.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:18 AM

no offense but could you not call it a ''philly cheesesteak'' . it's just a cheesesteak . there's no other city that makes them .
there's no toronto style cheesesteak, no algiers cheesesteak, nor a calcutta cheesesteak .

it's no different than if i, arriving for the first time in the west say ''hey chief, i'd starving...what say we go get some of them mexican tacos'' .

or if someone realizes your homesick and offers to take you out to olive garden for a good east coast meal .

Old 02-29-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfil View Post
no offense but could you not call it a ''philly cheesesteak'' . it's just a cheesesteak . there's no other city that makes them .
there's no toronto style cheesesteak, no algiers cheesesteak, nor a calcutta cheesesteak .

it's no different than if i, arriving for the first time in the west say ''hey chief, i'd starving...what say we go get some of them mexican tacos'' .

or if someone realizes your homesick and offers to take you out to olive garden for a good east coast meal .
I looked it up to see what the proper name is. According to wiki:

"A cheesesteak, also known as a Philadelphia cheesesteak, Philly cheesesteak, cheese steak, or steak and cheese, is a sandwich made from thinly-sliced pieces of steak and melted cheese in a long roll. A popular regional fast food, it has its roots in the city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania."

Read more here: Cheesesteak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I honestly don't see what the big deal is calling it a cheesesteak or philly cheesesteak.

If someone said "mexican tacos" to me, the first thing that will come to my mind would be tacos in soft tortillas, not the crispy tacos that you see at Taco Bell but that is just me.

Everyone is different I suppose.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:30 AM

92 posts, read 160,230 times
That's like getting mad at a person for saying Chicago Pizza, New York Pizza, or California Pizza. Sure they're all pizza's but they're unique to each region.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
That's like getting mad at a person for saying Chicago Pizza, New York Pizza, or California Pizza. Sure they're all pizza's but they're unique to each region.
cheesesteaks are unique to only one region though .
am i going to expect anyone to stop writing philly in front of it , no .
just making a point .
it's just an opinion, like 90% of wiki entries are .

Old 02-29-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfil View Post
cheesesteaks are unique to only one region though .
am i going to expect anyone to stop writing philly in front of it , no .
just making a point .
it's just an opinion, like 90% of wiki entries are .
Fine, we will just call it philly-style cheesesteak. Happy?

Next time I get a chicago hot dog at Sonic, I will just tell them to get me a hot dog and see if I get the same thing.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:47 AM

92 posts, read 160,230 times
Yeah, but I want a Philly Cheese steak. Those come with Cheese Wiz!

Old 02-29-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Fine, we will just call it philly-style cheesesteak. Happy?

Next time I get a chicago hot dog at Sonic, I will just tell them to get me a hot dog and see if I get the same thing.
nope, not happy Moderator cut: see comment
a chicago is a style of hot dog . it's accepted as such . you order a hot dog and you'll get a hot dog plain on a bun . you order a chicago and you get a hot dog, topped with yellow mustard, bright green relish, onions, tomato wedges, pickle spear or slice, sport peppers and a dash of celery salt served in a steamed poppy seed bun. you order a carolina stye and it's served with slaw, onions, and chili . and so forth . they're the same basic ingredient but served with different condimints designated by region it's popular .

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 02-29-2012 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: Personal attacks are not permitted per ToS. We may attack ideas but we do not attack the speaker of the ideas.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but I want a Philly Cheese steak. Those come with Cheese Wiz!
trust me, no you don't . cheese whiz is for tourists . just like ordering a taco, you want some hole in the wall joint to do it for you not a taco bell .

order it wit & american cheese . you should walk down the street and see a big sign like this:

owner's first name <-real small in cursive
PIZZA <-real big in bold red font
other foods served (if it says zeps, you're in luck) <-small and usually 3 items
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio