Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 03:10 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,471,718 times

Advertisements

I can't think of anyone I know that did 30 and most now are 20-22. The difference in retirement pay isn't that good and it's a lot better to pay attention to the VA rep during TAP class and make the most of your VA claim. Unless of course you're one of those few people that never went to medical for anything... I have 11 people in my office and 10 of them are officially disabled with the median rating being probably over 50%.. with concurrent receipt that more than makes up for the extra 10 years, plus you get all the other wonderful benefits like vocational rehab. I'm doing that now to get my BS in IT and they pay for the whole thing, plus give me $630/month tax free for a subsistence allowance..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 01:15 PM

44 posts, read 134,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I can't think of anyone I know that did 30 and most now are 20-22. The difference in retirement pay isn't that good and it's a lot better to pay attention to the VA rep during TAP class and make the most of your VA claim. Unless of course you're one of those few people that never went to medical for anything... I have 11 people in my office and 10 of them are officially disabled with the median rating being probably over 50%.. with concurrent receipt that more than makes up for the extra 10 years, plus you get all the other wonderful benefits like vocational rehab. I'm doing that now to get my BS in IT and they pay for the whole thing, plus give me $630/month tax free for a subsistence allowance..
At 30 years you get 75% that better than 40-50% retirement

Old 09-11-2007, 01:23 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,471,718 times
Yes, but chances are you'd be making more those extra 10 years in a civilian job and with good investments it will be even better.. I know I'm making quite a bit more now compared to when I was in the military.. nearly a 50% increase and a lot of it is tax free

and don't forget you'll be getting civilian job pay, retirement pay, and concurrent receipt disability pay if you can get at least a 50% rating.. it all adds up, trust me...

Old 09-11-2007, 01:48 PM

8,399 posts, read 23,066,491 times
I didn't stay much past 20, as there wasn't really enough incentive for me to do so. Like rd2007, I have clearances that made the transition to a contractor job a lot easier. As a matter of fact, I only moved across the hall from my old office, but into a different part of the organization.

I think the median salary in S.A. is ~$27K/yr, so a military retirement and a second career income mean you live well here. I got 60% disability which also means free hunting/fishing license, state parks pass, DV tag for my Jeep, an additional $10K homestead exemption, and a few more things that I can't remember at the moment. Plus having a couple of commissaries and BX/PXs close by really helps.

As for house prices, you can find something nice in the $120-175K range if you are only looking for a place for yourself. I live in a very large community on the NW side and the growth in this part of town doesn't appear to be slowing one bit. That's not necessarily a good thing, but I am lucky as I have flexible hours therefore I go into work early to avoid the rush hour traffic both ways.

I agree with Steel, get your degree now and jump while you can. As much as the military is warm and comfy, you will have to leave sooner or later and going sooner is a lot easier...

Cheers! M2

Old 01-27-2008, 04:39 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,233,804 times
Once all of those new buildings start going online at Fort Sam Houston in a year or two, San Antonio will become a mecca for new Federal government jobs.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:02 PM

323 posts, read 831,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Once all of those new buildings start going online at Fort Sam Houston in a year or two, San Antonio will become a mecca for new Federal government jobs.
You are right about that. I just wonder how many actual openings there will be. There are bound to be many people transfering. I guess time will tell. I will be getting out of the Army right when most of that will happen, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. I wouldn't mind sliding into a GS position at that time.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:51 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,325,259 times
If you retire military in 20 and work for the VA the 20 military will count towards your retirement so you will just need 10 at the VA to retire at 30. If you are getting a masters degree you will probably be making over 100K when you retire.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:53 AM

4 posts, read 27,193 times
Texas definitely has taxes, just not income taxes. Property tax is the revenue source in lieu of an income tax. I's sure you knew that coming from Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio