Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 02:56 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,005,086 times

Advertisements

It's time to bite the bullet. I need new counter tops. I have tile right now and simply love them but it's time for them to go. Looking for suggestions but I would like to know what you like or don't like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 03:22 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,557,580 times
Got granite a few years back, and still loving it:

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...ome-depot.html

However, I have also seen poured concrete (in both smooth and "leather" finish) that was really stunning as well.

I lived in a house that had tile, would never do again. Not a good flat surface, and unsanitary, too!

My MIL has Silestone, but it has actually stained in a few places.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:53 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
I have butcher block and I am happy.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:17 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,005,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
Got granite a few years back, and still loving it:

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...ome-depot.html

However, I have also seen poured concrete (in both smooth and "leather" finish) that was really stunning as well.

I lived in a house that had tile, would never do again. Not a good flat surface, and unsanitary, too!

My MIL has Silestone, but it has actually stained in a few places.
That's a lot of information! Thanks. I looked for posts but missed that thread.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:58 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
There was an interesting thread about this in the Austin forum a while back. The message there was not to add strongly colored granite because it might make your house harder to sell.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:31 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,273,512 times
We just priced alternatives to granite and they were about double what we should be able to get granite for. I just talked to someone who did her large kitchen for $3900 installed and the silestone, etc we looked at was quoted at $7500. We'll be going the granite route especially since there are discount options. I debated concrete but I'm concerned it might be more a trend in the future where granite more standard. Plus I noticed my friend's concrete floor stain was a mess. Funny when granite is the "safe" choice and yes I'd go with something neutral.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:52 PM

487 posts, read 1,118,142 times
I love granite and the price has come way down in the past few years. I put it in a clients house I was trying to sell. It was a good sized kitchen with a large island. Best $2400 ever spent. (level 1) We sold the house two weeks later.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:57 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
You should check the prices at Builders Mark.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:49 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Formica! I still have my original Formica tops in my house built in 1956. I have some nicks in a few places but I have no desire to rip them out or the original cabinets.

I am not a fan of granite myself. Feels too "tuscan" style to me which doesn't appeal to me.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:49 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
I would avoid granite like yer family's life depended on this decision....as it just might. Granite CAN be a major carrier of Radon gas that can make you sick. Keyword- CAN, but how will you know if the piece delivered and installed at your home is or isn't? Best of luck with that one. Granite is also a porous material and is sealed to keep food liquids from penetrating it. Set a hot pot on the counter and the seal is gone. Now you have a breeding ground for bacteria and it doesn't bother with an introduction, it just makes your family sick. You can also have issues with any type of acids removing/etching the surface like lemon juice, orange juice, vinegar, etc which again removes the seal.
Silestone can be stained by the various juices like grape juice. It's also prone to small chips. Considering the cost, it's not something I would ever have in my house.
Corian. I grew up in an house with Corian and that was a long time ago. The tops are still in the 40+ year old house. Corian can scratch but is easily fixed with polishing compound. You must be careful about placing real hot things on it or you can "burn" it. Otherwise, probably the most durable thing you can put in your home.
Laminate. Don't overlook the new Hi Def laminates. Some of these are incredibly beautiful and look identical to granite or other surfaces but without the headaches or the cost. You can use a flat laminate and a tile back splash that looks fabulous and rivals the real thing. You might go by J&B Tops on Mainland just to look and if it suits your needs, have them give you a price. They're good folks to deal with.
Affordable Laminate countertops and countertop installation. San Antonio, TX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio