Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 01:08 AM

20 posts, read 38,381 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Just curious if there are Elementary and Middle Schools in one campus. My kids are currently in 1st and 5th grade and would like for them to be in the same school the whole time once my oldest goes to 6th. Is this possible? Thanks in advanced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 02:58 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,064,286 times
No. There are some instances where the schools may be close..but pretty sure never the same school.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:48 AM

9,853 posts, read 13,708,956 times
There may be some charters that do that, but no public schools.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:07 AM

841 posts, read 1,748,235 times
Short answer: yes. I have one child in middle school and one in elementary... and they attend the same school.

Long answer: it depends. Many private schools go through 8th grade. For public, I believe its only the San Antonio Independent School District (SAISD) that offers a K-8 program at some of its schools. Called "academies", they are smaller in population (max of 100 kids per grade level) than the traditional middle schools. My kids attend one of these schools, and we have been overwhelmingly pleased (note: we were previously at a private school for over 6 years). The smaller school size allows for more individualized attention and the opportunity to participate in almost everything as they get older - it is not uncommon to find the same kids in band, in drama, and on the soccer team.

Some will argue that SAISD is not (currently) a premier school district... which is mostly true, but if you know where to look, you will find some real gems equal to any other district. Bonham and Hawthorne Academies are probably the most well known, and I would recommend checking either of them out. SAISD also started the "Advanced Learning Academy" this year, but they are on two campuses. I don't know which grades attend which campus.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:16 AM

103 posts, read 202,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdpnoy View Post
Hello everyone,

Just curious if there are Elementary and Middle Schools in one campus. My kids are currently in 1st and 5th grade and would like for them to be in the same school the whole time once my oldest goes to 6th. Is this possible? Thanks in advanced.
Quite a few of the area's private schools have grades K-12 on the same campus (although in different buildings) - for example Keystone, St. Mary's Hall, and Winston School.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:49 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
Here you go....

IDEA South Flores - IDEA Public Schools

Old 03-30-2017, 12:08 PM

20 posts, read 38,381 times
Wow! Thank you so much for the replies everyone. I really appreciate it.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:33 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,559,856 times
Absolutely it's possible. They're called Academies. Here are the current ones in SAISD, with plans for more.

Bonham (K-8)
Hawthorne (K-8)
King (K-8)
Mission (PK - 8)
Woodlawn (K-8)

Advanced learning academy (K-10) - this one is broken into two campuses (K-3 at one campus, 4-10, to become 12 at another nearby). The others are, AFAIK, all on one campus. My kids go to one of them. My daughter is about to move from 5th to 6th on the same campus. We're thrilled. You do have to apply to the Middle School, as preference is given to students already at the school (it's small and space is limited).

It is interesting that there are some who are so certain these don't exist. The model has been very successful and SAISD is working to make more schools into Academies.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:37 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,559,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
Short answer: yes. I have one child in middle school and one in elementary... and they attend the same school.

Long answer: it depends. Many private schools go through 8th grade. For public, I believe its only the San Antonio Independent School District (SAISD) that offers a K-8 program at some of its schools. Called "academies", they are smaller in population (max of 100 kids per grade level) than the traditional middle schools. My kids attend one of these schools, and we have been overwhelmingly pleased (note: we were previously at a private school for over 6 years). The smaller school size allows for more individualized attention and the opportunity to participate in almost everything as they get older - it is not uncommon to find the same kids in band, in drama, and on the soccer team.

Some will argue that SAISD is not (currently) a premier school district... which is mostly true, but if you know where to look, you will find some real gems equal to any other district. Bonham and Hawthorne Academies are probably the most well known, and I would recommend checking either of them out. SAISD also started the "Advanced Learning Academy" this year, but they are on two campuses. I don't know which grades attend which campus.
SAISD is also now a District of Innovation, which gives it a lot of flexibility with respect to state expectations that hold back other schools. It's new, and just being put into practice now.

our Kinder-2nd have 4 classes for each grade (3 spanish, 1 english). There are fewer as they increase in grade, as it's more difficult to enter the Spanish program after 1st grade, so kids who leave aren't replaced, though the English program increases in size.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:19 PM

841 posts, read 1,748,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
SAISD is also now a District of Innovation, which gives it a lot of flexibility with respect to state expectations that hold back other schools. It's new, and just being put into practice now.

As a graduate of NISD schools, and a resident of SAISD for the last 18 years, I really think that SAISD has finally turned the corner. I have been very impressed with the current superintendent, and the Board has significantly improved.

I've watched the Hawthorne drama kids perform excellent street Shakespeare at the Pearl; and the Bonham one act play could challenge ANY school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio