Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 01:39 PM

358 posts, read 577,764 times

Advertisements

We got a robo call from a well known termite control company that they would be out on a certain date and time to treat our house. We had never called them and never had a contract with them and ignored the call.

A woman wearing the uniform showed up on that date and was very insistent that we HAD ordered the service.

We saw no truck, she appeared to be on foot.

Anyone else had an experience like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 01:50 PM

186 posts, read 690,100 times
that is so odd.. have you called the *real* number of the company and tell/ask them about it?

Old 03-28-2012, 01:58 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
First, I would've asked her where in the heck was her truck!

Secondly, I would've asked for ID.

Thirdly, I would have told her to get the heck off my property as she is trespassing; at which point she either leaves or is arrested!

Sounds like a scam, I'd call the Better Business Bureau!

Cheers! M2

Old 03-28-2012, 04:32 PM

464 posts, read 804,389 times
Also remember if your cellphone has a camera, and it's nearby the door when you answer, to snap a photo of the alleged "pest control" individual. You can then forward it onto your local police department so they can investigate and or warn others should this be a scam.

As the economy worsens, you'll see far more of these impostors whose sole intent is to deceive and rip you off.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:13 PM

581 posts, read 1,188,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Secondly, I would've asked for ID.
^^ This!Happened to my grandparents. I happened to be over one day and a guy walked up in a uniform, white work shirt, blue work pants. No other markings what so ever and a clip board. Knocked on the door, my grandmother answered and said that he was whatever name from so-and-so company out to do requested service and that he needed to do a house walkthrough to make sure he marks all the spots. Very polite and respectful, yada yada yada. She told him to hold on a sec while she confirmed with my grandfather, who said he had no recollection of it. She then went back to the door and asked to see his ID so she could call and verify with said company and ask to see who made the appointment. He cut her off and said it was the man of the house and that he needed to speak with him. She told him that "she" was the person he only needed to speak with and that it would behoove him to show his ID so she could call to make sure. He then pretended to look for his ID, said he left it in his truck, walked away and never came back.

She would up calling the company, they said they knew nothing about it, took some information and then she called the non-emergency hotline and informed the PD. Said that it happens more than we think. People try to gain access to the home or stand at an open door to look at whats inside.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:55 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,340,378 times
the number of cons out there is disgusting....this is why I stopped answering the door. Know it's rude since these people can hear the kids screaming "There's somebody at the door!!!!", but no good comes of it.

Maybe I'll park a stuffed pitbull on the porch. That might deter these salesmen more than the No Solicitation sign. Wooo...I think I just came up with a new marketing idea! Stuffed watchdogs. No poop. No unwanted visitors. No hassle. Call now and receive a Feisty Fake Fido for just five payments of $19.99....

Old 03-28-2012, 11:59 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,067 times
This sounds like the plot to Another Earth.

(:

Old 03-29-2012, 07:12 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,589,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
the number of cons out there is disgusting....this is why I stopped answering the door. Know it's rude since these people can hear the kids screaming "There's somebody at the door!!!!", but no good comes of it.

Maybe I'll park a stuffed pitbull on the porch. That might deter these salesmen more than the No Solicitation sign. Wooo...I think I just came up with a new marketing idea! Stuffed watchdogs. No poop. No unwanted visitors. No hassle. Call now and receive a Feisty Fake Fido for just five payments of $19.99....
You may want to re-think your policy of not answering the door. Many times burgulars will pick a house where they suspect no one is home, ring the doorbell and when no one answers they kick in the door. If someone answers the door they make up some lame excuse to be there and move on. I always answer the door. As soon as I see it is some kind of solicitor I wave them on and close the door and lock it. But they know I'm home and that I know they are there. And they better move on.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:24 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,250,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
You may want to re-think your policy of not answering the door. Many times burgulars will pick a house where they suspect no one is home, ring the doorbell and when no one answers they kick in the door.

That's when they have a meeting with Mr. XD-45

Old 03-29-2012, 07:37 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,369,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
That's when they have a meeting with Mr. XD-45
Amen. I have found an effective deterrent as well. The neighbors see me coming home from work in a jacket and tie, and then wearing cargo shorts and a t-shirt or polo most of the time. Occasionally, it's fun to put on a pair of cut off ACU shorts and a faded old Army unit t-shirt and conduct deliberate pace counts to recognizable features on the property boundaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio