Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 02:15 PM

8 posts, read 21,726 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I've been reading these forums for several months now and searching for as much information as I can prior to our move. We are ready to take the plunge and go! Unfortunately we have some unique circumstances and finding information with regards to them has been difficult at best. We STILL are very unsure of the area(s) that would best meet our needs, I'm hoping some folks here can point us in the right direction.

I am a 100% Disabled Vet, since I don't work commute times are not an issue for me but. I really would like to stay within a 20 or 30 minute drive during off-peak times from one of the military installations in the area. This would allow me to use the Exchange & Commissary as well as the medical facilities.

I am also a single parent of two younger girls, aged 3 & 7. My 7 year old is mildly Autistic, she is in a mainstream 2nd grade class but does require some additional support. An area with above average to excellent schools is a must.

Finally the deciding factor in all of this, PRICE. I am looking for something that is $125K or less. I would prefer a new home or as new a home as possible simply because I'm not really able to play handyman anymore. Additionally I prefer something already completed vs. waiting for a home to be built as the builder is probably more willing to deal on an already completed home and we are looking to complete our move as soon as possible at this point as well.

I've checked out quite a number of places on-line already, the last one being a DR Horton development (Horizon Pointe Villitas) in Converse. Unfortunately after reading a number of posts here I'm more confused then ever. Half the ones I read said it was a "great" area the other half said it was a "ghetto"

At this point any advice I could get from zip codes, specific developments or anything else that someone thinks might be helpful would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 06:09 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,383,829 times
I've personally never heard of Converse as a ghetto, I always thought of it as more out there in the country areas.. Then again I haven't actually visited it, I just drove through the area where it's located. It definitely isn't a lock the doors and don't look at anybody area...

Which hospital would you be visiting most? if it's BAMC, then that area makes sense I think. I'm not sure what Wilford Hall is going to end up as, but if it would serve your needs then the far west area is quite affordable, although the prices seem to go up almost daily.. that's pretty much the case for the whole area.. I don't want to rush you, but time is money when it comes to buying over here..

Old 09-13-2007, 07:29 PM

5 posts, read 23,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichek View Post
Hi All,

I've been reading these forums for several months now and searching for as much information as I can prior to our move. We are ready to take the plunge and go! Unfortunately we have some unique circumstances and finding information with regards to them has been difficult at best. We STILL are very unsure of the area(s) that would best meet our needs, I'm hoping some folks here can point us in the right direction.

I am a 100% Disabled Vet, since I don't work commute times are not an issue for me but. I really would like to stay within a 20 or 30 minute drive during off-peak times from one of the military installations in the area. This would allow me to use the Exchange & Commissary as well as the medical facilities.

I am also a single parent of two younger girls, aged 3 & 7. My 7 year old is mildly Autistic, she is in a mainstream 2nd grade class but does require some additional support. An area with above average to excellent schools is a must.

Finally the deciding factor in all of this, PRICE. I am looking for something that is $125K or less. I would prefer a new home or as new a home as possible simply because I'm not really able to play handyman anymore. Additionally I prefer something already completed vs. waiting for a home to be built as the builder is probably more willing to deal on an already completed home and we are looking to complete our move as soon as possible at this point as well.

I've checked out quite a number of places on-line already, the last one being a DR Horton development (Horizon Pointe Villitas) in Converse. Unfortunately after reading a number of posts here I'm more confused then ever. Half the ones I read said it was a "great" area the other half said it was a "ghetto"

At this point any advice I could get from zip codes, specific developments or anything else that someone thinks might be helpful would be great!
Are looking at Texas or another state?

Old 09-13-2007, 07:59 PM

8 posts, read 21,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janet4945 View Post
Are looking at Texas or another state?
Sorry I thought I'd made that clear but perhaps not. Yes, I'm looking in Texas, specifically the San Antonio area.

Thanks rd2007, the pictures I've seen as well as the cities website do make it seem like Converse is a somewhat rural type of town. I was pretty confused when I seen such disparity in the descriptions when doing a search for more info here. As for which hospital, I don't really have a preference. I am ready to move at a moments notice at this point so it's just a matter of finding a place that meets our requirements. Additionally I've talked more with my lender and can probably go as high as $140K but I would definitely need the builder to pay closing costs or something at that point. Does anyone know how willing a builder would be to do a deal like that on one of the completed homes in their inventory?

Thanks again!

Old 09-13-2007, 08:15 PM

60 posts, read 315,390 times
I have a special needs child and I think your first priority is finding out which school(s) offer the services she needs. You can e-mail each of the districts special needs coordinator to find out. Many times there will be 1 particular high school (I know you're girls are younger) that serves the needs of all the kids in that district. The reason I mention high school is because you may want to live in that district because when she gets to the middle school/high school level and you don't live there, she'll have to be bused to that particular school while the friends she made and grew up with go to the other school.

I think once you find out which schools offer the services that will narrow down your areas you want to look at. I know you also want to be close to a military base and I don't think that will be a problem.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:33 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,553,385 times
Krichek:

I think your best bet is the Northside ISD. The "top" districts in San Antonio are North East, Northside, and Alamo Heights. However, ALamo Heights and North East (NEISD) generally have higher property values. WHile Northside has a wide range of values, there is more available in your price range than in AH or NEISD.

I would suggest the far west/south west side, to be nearer to Lackland. There is quite a bit of undeveloped land, with lots of new subdivisions. Perhaps someone else can help with actual neighborhoods.

Visit the Northside website at Northside Independent School District - San Antonio, TX 78238

HTH

Old 09-13-2007, 09:51 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,438,011 times
Honestly I think that you would be better off avoiding the Converse area and Judson ISD which serves it. The Northeast is going to be best for you as you have convenient access to BAMC and a wonderful commissary and PX at Ft. Sam Houston. I would look at Royal Ridge by Bella Vista homes. It's a new development on the Last parcel in a twenty year old subdivision also it has it's own new elementary school.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:03 PM

925 posts, read 1,226,831 times
Actually, Converse isn't rural. It's home to nearly 12,000 people and expect over 20,000 by 2010. Converse is also currently under construction with a new downtown "town center" development that is quite nice. As for the ghetto comment, I don't know why or how that got started, the murder rate in Converse is basically 0. I say basically 0 because a rare (and I do mean rare) murder did take in April of this year, however the victim and the murderer were both from San Antonio, with the crime happening to take place in Converse. It was the first murder in Converse in over a decade.

Some info on said crime:

Task Force Arrests Those Accused of Murder in Converse, TX (http://www.usmarshals.gov/district/tx-w/news/chron/2007/041007.htm - broken link)

Police Search for Two Suspects in Wal-Mart Parking Lot Shooting | WOAI.COM: San Antonio News

I've never heard of a "ghetto" having its "first murder in over a decade." Well, at least not the ghettos I've be witness to in other cities. Another thing about Converse is that there is a lot of commercial and retail being built not only along 78 (Seguin Rd) but also Toepperwein Road. There are also many small and large subdivisions planned for Converse. I believe I posted about one in the Suburban development thread.

Lastly, I found this picture of a home in Converse.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:38 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,448,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichek View Post
Hi All,

I work at WHMC and with the BRAC, the bottom line (currently anyway, who knows what will occur with the required funding to make the plans all fall into place) is that BAMC will be majority IN PT care and WHMC will become majority CLINIC type care. So, if you feel that the needs of your family would be lots of inpt, BAMC would make sense, or if you feel the majority of your needs would be out pt care, WHMC might be considered....having said that, there is a shuttle bus service between the two already and I feel that will only grow in service as the blending of both facilities continue towards the 2011 target date. Another thing to consider is that I feel the next year will see HUGE changes in the amount of folks even allowed to enroll in the MTF if NOT active duty...more and more we are hearing that only AD personnel and families will be enrolled to PCM's at the MTF's and that retirees will be shifted more and more to tricare providers on the civilian side.

Hope this helps you as you transition..can't speak to living on the NE side of town, live on the NW.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:32 PM

469 posts, read 2,341,901 times
I think Converse gets a bad rap for a few different reasons. It's a bedroom community that is working very hard on bringing itself up in the world, it's only just getting started though. They are building a new Town Square and will have an enormous amount of (good) growth in the next 5-10 years. It is very well known for its sports, primarily football. In turn it is not known for it's education, it may be the emphasis is so leaned towards sports that education gets lost. Scholastically it leaves something to be desired. Actually I've heard serious criticism of the Judson school district as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio