Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 11:50 AM

3 posts, read 3,390 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My wife and I are building a custom home outside of Boerne and are looking for a good, independent inspector. I want someone who is tough but fair and will not be adversarial towards my builder, a second set of eyes so to speak. I spoke with one man and after that conversation I felt that he would be the type to fight the builder on anything he could find. I thought I had an another inspector picked but I have heard some disturbing things about him so I am back to searching. I have also placed several calls that have gone unanswered. We live out of town about 4 hours away so being there all the time is not an option. Can anybody local recommend a good, honest, qualified inspector to me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a small list and will be making some calls tomorow. Thanks in advance for any recommendations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 03:23 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,932,190 times
While you'd think this is an easy thing- recommending a home inspector, it's everything but easy. Here's some of the issues. Most home inspectors business comes from the secondary market or the used homes that are sold. Most are familiar with the construction methods used years ago and in that arena we have several real good guys here. But a new home, especially a custom built home, there are few that are even qualified to get out of the truck. It's a totally different market and methodology considering where you are building. Helotes will be using the IRC2003 standards whereas a home built in San Antonio will use a modified IRC2012 which is not the same especially when it comes to short walls, wind loads, and rack control. Most state certified inspectors don't have a clue what that means or the differences as they generally don't work with it on a daily basis. Most inspectors have never built a house or ever framed a house so how are they expected to know what it takes inspecting your house? Most don't know even though they have a state license. Trust me, my sister married into a family of home inspectors and none have a clue how build a dog house. So, the choices are few. There is Bureau Veritas who does nothing but new homes but has no offices in San Antonio. I've worked with their inspectors before and they know their business and won't call absurd things like a coffee stain. But I have no contact info for you- best of luck with that one. You can also hire a structural engineer to inspect. The cost will be about 40-50% more than a common inspector but you have someone that at least has a clue. I've worked with South Texas Engineering and Galbraith Engineering on structural deficient homes before and was provided good information from them. You need a prepour inspection, a frame inspection, and a final inspection. Best of luck with this. San Antonio just doesn't have a good base of folks that know new construction. Add, the state examination is proctored by folks that are also proctoring lawyers, doctors, and children and don't have the faintest clue about constrcution themselves which means the state license is a joke. They're more interested in the inspector knowing how many people sit on the Board in Austin than construction methodology.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:12 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,588,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbc View Post
Hi,

My wife and I are building a custom home outside of Boerne and are looking for a good, independent inspector. I want someone who is tough but fair and will not be adversarial towards my builder, a second set of eyes so to speak. I spoke with one man and after that conversation I felt that he would be the type to fight the builder on anything he could find. I thought I had an another inspector picked but I have heard some disturbing things about him so I am back to searching. I have also placed several calls that have gone unanswered. We live out of town about 4 hours away so being there all the time is not an option. Can anybody local recommend a good, honest, qualified inspector to me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a small list and will be making some calls tomorow. Thanks in advance for any recommendations

This is who we used and could not be happier.
Trevino Home Inspection

Old 04-22-2012, 07:14 PM

That's exactly the conclusion I am coming to, the more research I do and the more people I talk to, the more I realize that most inspectors are not up to date with the current trends and standards. Thanks for the reply.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:16 PM

Will check with Trevino. Thanks for the recomendation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio