Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2011, 09:11 AM

847 posts, read 2,231,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post

What was nice was you knew the general area of town these prefixes represented.

CApitol was downtown
PErshing was north of downtown
DIamond was northside
TAylor was Alamo Heights general area
WAlnut was southside
LEhigh was south of downtown
GEneral was west side
EDison was east of downtown
OXford was medical center area and north
ORchard was Valley Hi, Lackland Terrace area

There were others as time went on, but these were the most prevalent.

The prefixes started phasing out in 1968.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH View Post

Some of those I am not familiar with I recognize mainly the northside PE, DI, TA and downtown CA, thanks for the info. I grew up in Oldfield the northeast side IH 35 and Loop 410 area also know as the Fratt exchange area.
back to GBNF PHOTOS................
...............click photo to enlarge

...1930. Operator dials for you..............

...1936. way more complicated..............

...some of the Central Offices in 1936....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 04:10 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,431,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
We still have a Lone Star Ice House over here by my casa. It's on Eckert rd., just past Marshall High School. Been here forever, but it is now owned by people that treat you like you are there to steal from them....walk in, they stop talking to each other and follow you around the store. Stopped going in there years ago.

I believe that U-Tote-Em on 87 is still there.....was a couple of years ago anyway.
It actually has not been a Lone Star for over 15 years, used to live in the area and the name change happened many years ago.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:04 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,543,835 times
Default Hello

Why can't I send a picture?

Old 12-18-2011, 07:14 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Are you using the image tags ([I M G] and [/ I M G] without spaces) before and after the URL? The picture icon (square yellow box with mountains and the sun in it in the bar above) also works.

You can also use the 'Attach Files'/'Manage Attachments' options when in the 'Advanced' mode, but I find the above method to be easier as long as you have the pic stored in an online site such as ImageBucket or Flickr.

Cheers! M2

Old 01-21-2012, 11:12 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,431,087 times
Anyone have any pics of NW Plaza on Fredricksburg Rd that housed the flea market? heard its going to be torn down soon, as was terrell plaza on austin highway.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:50 PM

12 posts, read 18,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooterposh View Post
Does anyone remember the Taco Hut located, if I remember correctly, on the corner of Goliad and Clark?? It was a little white building similar to a dairy queen, but they had the original puffy tacos that were so good!! They cost 25 cents each back in the 50's and that was alot of money.
Yes! And what a shame it's gone. I recall that it expanded (or moved and expanded?) and then went out of business.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:39 PM

94 posts, read 275,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraptree View Post
@huckster.
you remember Zoey's coffee house. Wow. Wife and I went there a few times. Liked the name so much. Named my daughter Zoey.
Wow, good story. I'm friends with the former owners of Zoey's, I'll have to tell them, they'll get a kick out of that.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:19 AM

15 posts, read 52,117 times
Default History of Terrell Wells Resort in San Antonio

I am interested in the History of Terrell Wells Resort in San Antonio as well as Hot Wells Resort. Would love to see pictures of the old Resort.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:49 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
Here's some info on the history of Hot Wells. I'm still looking for history on Terrell Wells and Harlandale Resorts. Post card depictions are all I've found, in the past, on the latter two.

A History of the Hot Sulphur Wells Resort Hotel

Old 04-28-2012, 08:23 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,543,835 times
Default The Hot Sulphur Wells

I remember when I was a kid my mother told me about an ailment she had that was cured in the sulphur water down near Poth. I don't know anything about these hot sulphur wells. I have never seen one. I used to fish with my grandfather in poth. Never saw a hot sulphur well. I have never seen or heard of one in San Antonio except at Hot Wells which alway's seems to burn down. Another thing I used to hear about was shot towers. They were built during the Civil War. The tower was filled with molten lead and dripped through a hole in the bottom of the tower. The drop of hot lead would cool on the way down and was a perfect rifle ball. These shot towers are supposed to still exist but I have never seen one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio