Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 08:13 PM

321 posts, read 1,069,584 times

Advertisements

If you live in Stone Oak you probably received an email about this news.

Our Hardy Oak principal forwarded a letter from Brian Gottardy, NEISD superintendent, saying both Vineyard Ranch Elementary and Las Lomas Elementary won't be completed in time for the August 27th school year opening. Delays with subcontractors are cited.

It appears that kids that were scheduled to go to those schools will be distributed around Stone Oak neighborhood schools as follows:

Vineyard Ranch kids:
PreK will go to Tuscany Heights
Kinder-2nd will go to Wilderness Oaks
3rd-5th will go to Hardy Oak

Las Lomas Elementary kids:
Kinder-3rd will go to Canyon Ridge
4th-5th will go to Stone Oak

Hardy Oak, as well as other area schools, had just relieved overcrowding through the recent redistricting so I'm not sure how they are handling entire grades moving in. I'm also not sure why kids from say Stone Oak Elementary who got redistricted to Vineyard Ranch can't just stay at Stone Oak Elem. another year instead of moving them to Hardy Oak Elem.

Anyone have more details about this news?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 08:41 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,273,099 times
I can't believe this. I knew they called the PTA Exec Board in today for an emergency meeting and so I suspected. Wonder why they don't just leave the kids as is and put the "rezoned" kids in a class with the teacher they were moving from each grade. Not to mention I have a friend with a 3rd and 4th grader. So do they go to different schools... I'll be up at he school tomorrow so I should get all the info figured out.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:50 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times
What a potential disaster. Inconvenience at the minimum, disaster for some others.

I really, really want to know the nature of the "delays with contractors". Kickbacks gone wrong?! Seriously, why is this happening.... *smacks head*

Old 05-23-2012, 09:09 PM

I couldn't extract the text of the emailed PDF because it was a scanned image of a letter, but I got a snapshot of it here:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8167/7...b9fde4c8_b.jpg

Old 05-23-2012, 09:31 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,682,087 times
sheesh, wonder what is going to happen to all the teachers who were moved/hired for Vineyard Ranch?

Old 05-23-2012, 09:35 PM

Well at least they figured out who to send the letter to since they sent the intro letter from the Los Lomas principal to everyone--and yes it scared me even though it's a 3 minute walk to Stone Oak for us. I foresee ALOT of issues. Moderator cut: Off-Topic I'm guessing they better make provisions or deal with a huge "school choice" nightmare! And thanks KSAT for addressing the constructions issue but not saying anything about where they are sending the kids. Thank goodness of this site

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 05-24-2012 at 10:10 PM..

Old 05-23-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeel View Post
Well at least they figured out who to send the letter to since they sent the intro letter from the Los Lomas principal to everyone--and yes it scared me even though it's a 3 minute walk to Stone Oak for us. I foresee ALOT of issues. Moderator cut: Off-Topic I'm guessing they better make provisions or deal with a huge "school choice" nightmare! And thanks KSAT for addressing the constructions issue but not saying anything about where they are sending the kids. Thank goodness of this site

Thanks for mentioning KSAT. I had not seen that report. Here's a link:
NEISD schools hit with construction delays | News - Home

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 05-24-2012 at 10:10 PM..

Old 05-23-2012, 09:54 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
Quote:
I really, really want to know the nature of the "delays with contractors
Pretty simple actually. Back when business was good about 6 years ago, we had all kinds of folks in the business that had a clue what they were doing. Moderator cut: Off-Topic They couldn't sit on their hands for 6 years waiting for it to get better so they moved into more stable jobs. The construction industry sucks when it comes to having a stable job. When building is good, everybody wants you, when building ain't so good, nobody wants you. Hard to feed a family on a regular basis with job security being zip. This fiasco is going to cost dearly as there is next to NO expertise in the field anymore. And as I've said it here before, with the builders/contractors being money managers and the subs providing the expertise, it's going to be a long time before things get back to any kind of normalcy. Delays are only going to get worse as well as prices are going to go thru the roof as demand will out weigh supply by a lot.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 05-24-2012 at 10:13 PM.. Reason: national politics are OT for this thread & forum

Old 05-23-2012, 10:47 PM

I realize the district is not at fault and I'm sure there is reasoning behind the way they are dividing students. I just feel for my friends who were already having to change schools and now may have kids in 2 different places every day. Sheesh...what a mess for everyone!

Old 05-24-2012, 04:39 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,410,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeel View Post
I realize the district is not at fault and I'm sure there is reasoning behind the way they are dividing students. I just feel for my friends who were already having to change schools and now may have kids in 2 different places every day. Sheesh...what a mess for everyone!
Why is it not the fault of the school district?

Why would you give a bid to an unknown firm out of Arizona when you have locals Lyda, Bartlett Cocke, etc. that have prior school construction experience?

Sub Contractors non performance? Here it is May and and fall school openings will not happen. Something smells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio