Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2009, 03:01 PM

88 posts, read 169,152 times

Advertisements

Maybe this may help you understand where I am coming from. Last year, I witnessed someone steal something out of my neighbor's truck. I immediately informed my neighbor and called the Bexar County Sheriff. The guy (18 years old) was apprehended. He was arrested. The months following this incident both my neighbor and I were harassed. He would walk by my home, stare me down, shoot the finger, spit on my car. He not only did this to me, but my neighbor who was the victim. In fact, my neighbor's home was tagged during this time frame. The Sheriff advised him to stay off this street and told us to call each time we saw him. He did not comply...we, however, did. But nothing ever came out of it. Each time we called we were told that they needed to apprehend him the same day as the incident to either arrest him or issue a citation and of course, they could never catch him. He would run through the drainage ditches to get to other streets in the neighborhood. This harassment went on for months, until he finally moved.

With that said, I would still do this again. It's important to be a good neighbor. I'm just fearful for the safety of our COP volunteers. I sincerely appreciate what they are trying to accomplish, and I hope they never have to become a witness to something and then have to live with harassment because they know you live.

Thanks, Wellguy, for your well stated opinion. I agree with you 100%.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:28 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
did the 18 year old live there on his own? I realize his parents are not legally responsible for him, but they can still tell him to shape up or ship out since they are now the landlords. Mine never did anything like that because they know I would become their worst enemy if they ever even thought about it.
If he was on my property tagging my house, I heard a noise, got my gun, and stepped outside. I saw someone in the shadows and they had something in their hand that appeared to be a gun. Problem solved
Tough lesson to learn, but I think statements like that need to be made and the tables need to be turned.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:36 PM

rd2007: His mother eventually grew tired of the Sheriff's coming to their home looking for him. So in the end all of the calls made a difference. She sent him to live with his father in another state. He lived in Rustic Oaks. The funny thing is, my neighbor, whose house was tagged, is an avid hunter. Everyone on this block knows it, yet this kid had no fear...possibly due to no brains.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:04 PM

I'm glad it all worked out in the end

the boy probably needed a strong man in his life and obviously lacked it. Rustic Oaks is not WC, right? I have noticed a lot of the really bad drivers in the neighborhood go over there. I wish we had a buffer on both ends to keep them and and the townhomes in the front at a further distance.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:05 PM

186 posts, read 345,406 times
I'm fully aware of where you're coming from and it's regrettable that you had to experience such intimidation. Although the experience was unpleasant you stated that would do it again. So you're resigned to accept the risks of being an upstanding community member...we all have choices to make in life and you've chosen not be a victim. I commend you for that. I have a friend in the community, who approx 13 years ago, had someone attempt to steal both of his vehicles in his driveway. The SO responded and took a report. A few weeks later someone broke into his garage and took a great deal of expensive sound equipment. The S0 took a report and stated it was probably in Mexico by the time they responded. Two months later during a late night active thunderstorm I was visiting with him (playing poker) when we thought we heard noises outside...we found some jerk trying to break-in to his garage again. He popped the perp with one 12 gauge bean bag round and two rounds of rubber buckshot...I know that had to hurt because the perp took off screaming bloody murder. When the SO was advised...my friend was advised to dispense with using less than lethal means when electing not to be a victim... standard buckshot would reduce the propensity of him being sued by the perp. I guess we all have our limits..and what we are experiencing in our community is no more than what other communities are dealing with. As long as this area continues to grow we will continue to experience these sporadic instances of crime.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:16 PM

15 posts, read 25,520 times
Default The Party isn't over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUVDOGS3 View Post
I have a question? Almost EVERY weekend these 2 homes with single service guys party and I mean they party hearty, till at least 3 a.m. to 5 a.m. Friday and Saturday nights. These party animals live the next
street over from us and we can hear them like they are next door to us (their poor next door neighbors).
We were comming home from the store at about 10:00 p.m. and heard "another party" going on so
we drove over to have a look see. There must have been about 25 to 35 guys and dolls in the front yard
barbequeing, drinking with the music blaring with at least 15 cars parked up and down the street with saw horses placed all over for the guests to sit their "bums" on while they hollered at us as we passed and they drank and the music blared till I finally fell asleep at 3 a.m. this morning. I have called the authorities and I guess it doesn't make a difference as this has been going on since June.
Any suggestions?
There must be something in the covenants about having "drinking parties" in the front yard. I went to drop off some newpapers around noon this morning at the recycling bin at Galm and saw a house in the Oaks with a beer keg, saw horses and about 4-5 Tiger Bins scattered on the front yard. It is this behavior that will destroy a neighborhood and bring the value of homes down.

Calling the authorities is the right thing.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:08 PM

was that the last time your friend was visited Cerberus? I'm going to guess the answer is yes and that's more proof that taking action does stop crime. Or at least it stops the crime from happening to you
I won't kid myself into thinking I'm 100% safe, but I know my house is not an ideal target. Both cars are always in the garage, there's a security system, and a lot of loud dogs including one that has teeth and jaws made for easily ripping apart flesh. The always loaded with a round chambered weapons are the last resort and I doubt it would ever come to that.
The insurance company should offer a discount for keeping your house that safe

Old 09-26-2009, 06:19 PM

35 posts, read 55,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAggiemom View Post
I know this in none of my business but I’ve gotten interested in your thread since I’m active in my HOA. (nice to learn stuff from y’all)
FYI – I think originally the COPS program required more of a time commitment. Now it is what you make of it. After you take the certification class you can be the eyes and ears of the neighborhood or patrol. Whatever you like. If you have at least 10 people signed up the police will come to your neighborhood or clubhouse and hold a certification class. Our neighborhood is organizing a COPS group now.
Also – For years we paid a rent a cop to patrol our neighborhood. (400 homes is tiny compared to yours) They seemed to be afraid of their own shadows and were totally ineffective. We paid them $20 an hour for 8 hours of patrol a day. A few months ago we switched to Constables who look mighty official in their Constable cars and uniforms. The change has been terrific. We now pay $40 per hour but they only patrol 4 hours a day (varied schedule) so our yearly expense is the same. A staggering $45,000 per year IMO. It’s a lot but the residents are happy.

I think we all agree that security is an issue. I think we should continue the cops program ( THANK YOU TO ALL INVOLED IN IT ) and look at hiring Constables as well. The budget is not final yet and money can be shifted around. That is if the BOD wants to do it. I don't know if BOD has heard us yet. The Constables can do something about the partys.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:22 PM

I don't know if the Constables can do anything about the parties. From what I was told, there is not a noise ordinance in Bexar County. I heard this from a neighbor who had problems with a garage band playing late at night. Anyone know the official ruling?

Old 09-26-2009, 07:42 PM

36 posts, read 55,473 times
Default I'm proud of the military

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
you can't fix stupid unfortunately. You'd think they would have some common sense and realize how rude they are, but obviously they don't.
Maybe you could get with the other neighbors and all have a talk with the people doing this? You said they're service guys? like military? if so, they should be double ashamed of themselves for the image they are presenting to the public. I would definitely report every car you see driving away as a drunk driver. Making their life miserable would probably be your best option.
But not of these yahoo's, yes they are military personnel. Go by the house today and there are 4 or 5 tiger trash cans out front, a beer keg and saw horses all around. I guess a good time was had by all, they kept me up till 3 a.m. and my husband said he let the dogs out at 4 a.m. and they were starting to just winde down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio