Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 10:08 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,618,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawren View Post
I can tell you this. Attacking dogs move so fast I do not see how you can accurately spray pepper spray into the eyes. Just 5 months ago I was walking my elderly 19 pound dog on a leash on the sidewalk when when he was attacked from behind by a large silent dog (100 lb. easily). No warning, boom, he was grabbed by the neck. Somehow my dog flipped on his back, yelping, and without thinking I pulled on the attacking dog's neck screaming at it. Thankfully I did not get bit & it let go. My dog tried to run and then another large dog just like the other picked up the attack where the other one left off. I carry pepper spray... useless...I needed a gun or a spear to stab with to have stopped that attack. As I was screaming the owners came out and stopped their dogs. My dog was shaking so hard and trying to run I could not even use my phone. Long story short, my dog died less than 2 days later after emergency vet care. Attacking dogs are quick. I say use whatever force is needed to protect yourself & your pet.
How horrible. I am so sorry.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:26 PM

409 posts, read 1,034,285 times
A nice size baseball bat works just fine on any dog. A nice size rock or 2 in your pockets to wing at the attacking dog before he gets too close is good but still have that bat at the ready. Speaking from experience..

Old 06-15-2012, 11:32 PM

522 posts, read 1,132,610 times
i think everyone covered what to do when one gets attacked, but there's always more you can do to help lower your chances of it happening at all. much of this is no brainer stuff but worth mentioning.

your dog's behavior matters as much as anyone else's. make sure your dog knows how to behave in public, and doesn't become over stimulated by the presence of rowdy dogs. easier said than done, but it helps a lot.

if you see a loose dog, don't panic. i know most of the panicking comes once you've been charged/attacked, but it makes a difference how you react in the presence of other dogs. if you see a dog down the street calmly move in a different direction. don't run or rush. dogs are prompted to chase/attack movement. be aware and alert but don't be compelled to stare down the dog, which also prompts attacks.

you might want to walk/drive your rout ahead of time to look for problem areas to avoid, such as houses with rowdy/territorial yard dogs or places where strays most like to congregate, before you walk with your dog.

report any loose or aggressive dog. folks seem to have hit or miss (mostly miss) with reporting loose dogs (some mention acs not even bothering unless it's attacked someone), but a sure fire way to not get a problem solved is to do nothing. report a problem, and if nothing is done report it again. get your neighbors to report it.

i can't confirm that carrying an additional large object like a walking stick is more likely to prompt an attack, but it goes along with the likelihood of an attack through movement. if you are carrying a larger object like a stick or bat, don't make it obvious by swinging it at your side in you hand. in an extreme example, dogs are trained/teased to attack by flailing a stick around. (there's a walk softly, carry a big stick joke in here, i know it...)

these steps have helped keep me and my dogs safe on our walks, even in the presence of loose pits and rotts and antisocial yard dogs. (this isn't substitute for methods of stopping a dog that is attacking or about to, only an addendum to what's been suggested already.)

Last edited by GlorifiedMalcontent; 06-15-2012 at 11:43 PM..

Old 06-16-2012, 01:48 PM

69 posts, read 148,236 times
Dogs are territorial. 9 times out of 10 they attack because they think you and/or your dog are invading their territory. Their attack may or may not coincide with property lines, public thoroughfares, etc. I’ve never met a dog that could read a plat map.

That “stand your ground and look menacing” theory may, or may not, prevent an attack. My experience says it won’t.

Here are Backstop’s Rules For Dogfighting:

1. Absolutely, positively, stay on your feet. If you hit the ground you’re toast.
2. A stick or pole may allow you to keep a dog at bay. It won’t prevent a determined attack.
3. Dogs are strong and fast. Many times they attack at a full run. Basically you’ll have their entire weight slamming in to you.
4. Sacrificial arm. If you see a 100+ pound dog charging you, you need to accept something: you’re gonna get bit, and it’s gonna hurt. But you can survive. The accepted method for a right handed person is to turn to your right at a 45 degree to the attack and raise your left arm. When the dog attacks, give him your arm, and pivot to your right as you allow the dog's weight and momentum to carry you that direction. You’ll then have your right arm to fire your gun, stab with your knife, gouge his eyes with your thumb, etc. This is not your grandmother’s bridge gathering here; it’s a fight for your life.

Without giving too much away…

About 10 years ago Ken Jarecke from US News and World Report was with me, and the plan was for me to catch this 110+ pound trained dog, and Ken would take pics.

The dog attacked me with ferocity I’ve yet to see duplicated. All I was wearing was a sleeve. The handler recognized things weren’t right and tried to get the dog to RTB, but the dog had a mind of his own and continued to try and drag me to the ground.

He forced my one knee down, and just as I was pulling my pistol out to shoot him he RTB. It would have been a significant financial loss for the dog’s owner and would have resulted in a monumental amount of paperwork for everyone. But there was no way I was going to the ground with that dog.

Fact of the matter is if you see a large dog charging your way, you best prepare for a fight. The best weapon is a firearm, followed by a knife.

Or curl up and write another letter to the mayor, choice is yours.

I have zero experience with pepper spray, bear spray, water squirt gun, or sternly worded letters.

Good luck.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 06-16-2012 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: repaired font issues

Old 06-16-2012, 08:43 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,618,395 times
Where do I get a collapsible baton that can make a dog collapse?

Old 06-16-2012, 08:43 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
Geez, there's a lot of bad info on this thread.

One, throwing rocks? Why don't you just go "boo!"

Oh, and walk around your neighborhood with a baseball bat and see what kind of response that generates.

And the bit about dogs being "territorial?!?" Seriously? Go back and read some of the attacks that occurred last year, very few were on the property where the dog was kept. The vast majority had to do with dogs getting on the loose and attacking people on their property!

The nice thing about having a CHL is that it gives you the means to defend yourself against any kind of "dog." Those squirt guns, batons, and other ridiculous suggestions aren't going to help you much in any situation.

The bottom line is that you have to be serious about defending yourself and your property. If not, then be prepared to be the victim...

Old 06-16-2012, 10:24 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,506,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Geez, there's a lot of bad info on this thread.

One, throwing rocks? Why don't you just go "boo!"

Oh, and walk around your neighborhood with a baseball bat and see what kind of response that generates.

And the bit about dogs being "territorial?!?" Seriously? Go back and read some of the attacks that occurred last year, very few were on the property where the dog was kept. The vast majority had to do with dogs getting on the loose and attacking people on their property!

The nice thing about having a CHL is that it gives you the means to defend yourself against any kind of "dog." Those squirt guns, batons, and other ridiculous suggestions aren't going to help you much in any situation.

The bottom line is that you have to be serious about defending yourself and your property. If not, then be prepared to be the victim...
Very well said! I much rather cut an attacking dog up with a machete, but I will no doubt be questioned why am I carrying it.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:22 PM

153 posts, read 283,297 times
So I'm kinda unclear.. I cant walk around with my revolver on my hip old west style??(shoot 1st ask questions later??) Wait oh yea its TX... never mind

Old 06-16-2012, 11:46 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,067 times
I don't understand the mindset of turning a gun into an all-purpose-tool, it isn't a Swiss Army knife.

I also own firearms, possess a CHL, but will not encourage others to go this route simply to combat loose dogs. That is overkill. For those who already own firearms feel free to use them responsibly and encourage others as you wish. The reason I won't encourage others is because if one is not already a firearm owner, is not already versed in going to the range, and have not already been impressed at what an awesome power a firearm is, then it is not the very best of ideas to tell a newbie to get a gun since they might not be as responsible or understand the significance.

For those who have not tried whistles and squirt guns, and for the rest who assume, do try them sometime in a test. We don't always need a hammer or shotgun to kill a fly. A marine air horn also works wonders. I have tried all and dogs do scatter. See a dog too close and scare em off, simple.

Also most dogs who attack will not be strays, stray dogs already know how to act around humans, it is yard dogs who get loose who will pose the most challenge, the ones who chase you to the end of their fence line barking up and down as you walk or cycle by. If those dogs get loose they have no skills being around the general public. Of course there will always be exceptions and dangerous strays but if a stray usually bites someone it is hunted down and captured or killed.

Also be very careful if using a firearm against a dog, I personally advise only those who are already experienced in firearms, who have a lot of practice, to try and fire at a dog already attacking you or yours. The chances of a novice shooting their own arm or their own dog, or worse, is high, because dog attacking do not stop and pose but wildly move around, fling, thrash, all the while whatever they are biting is doing the same. I really don't understand encouraging novices to obtain firearms when this is a strong possibility.

I suppose some firearm owners simply want to arm as many law-abiding citizens as they can as part of some ideology, others want no one to have guns, I fall in the middle, get them, practice lots, learn the dangers, precautions, and deep pocket theories before going yahoo against the poor dogs.

I am also certain there are other non-lethal tools but have not used them, those silent whistles only dogs can hear, not sure.

Anyways not really saying anyone is wrong with their preference but be certain you know your own personal limits, what you are willing to risk, and if you really want to kill a dog. The problem with some (not all) people with guns is they won't retreat. Where I will see strays and keep a far distance and walk or cycle around them or away, others will feel free to walk up to or next to them, unafraid, and if the poor dog acts like a poor dog, maybe even just interested but not going to attack, and Mr. Responsible-Yet-Unafraid-and-Eager-Firearm-Holder does get spooked or feels it a threat and just shoots. Very brave amirite?

The difference between some firearm owners and gun nuts is that the former do not want to use their firearms, last resort, while the latter want to use them any chance possible. Certainly most firearm owners exist in the middle ground and not the two extreme examples I gave but I know where I reside.

Finally, while I respect the laws that allow lethal force against dogs and coyotes, keep in mind that law was designed for farming environments. Not the most ideal law for a city but it is the law, so make of that what you will. I will leave with one example, if you see a dog chasing a child and you know it wants to attack, and by the off chance you are driving, you are free to run it over. This happened exactly like that at the Great Northwest subdivision over 10 years ago and the police commended my then co-worker for his part (and he claims his driving skills but I am not so certain he wasn't just bragging). It made an awesome report though!

Last edited by Merovee; 06-16-2012 at 11:57 PM..

Old 06-17-2012, 09:45 AM

409 posts, read 1,034,285 times
There's a saying that goes, "Stick with what works." If rocks, baseball bats and even rolled up newspaper worked for me before then guess what?? I will continue to with that. Any kind of weapon is better than none..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio