Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 01:13 PM

4 posts, read 26,342 times

Advertisements

My husband and I may be moving to SA (he is originally from there but he's been living in Dallas for the last 7 years) he is looking at getting a job with Zachry. We are looking for a house to start our family in that is in a good neighborhood. We are not too overly concerned with being close to his work since it is on the southside and neither of us wants to live there. However SA has changed so much since he lived there that niether of us really knows the upper middle class places to live anymore. Schools are not important as we have no children yet and when we do they will go to private school. His parents live in 78228 and I love their house and their neighborhood but don't think I want to live down the street from them if you know what I mean? So i'm just looking for advice on where to look for homes if you can help please do i'm feeling alittle overwhelmed right now at all of the zip codes thanks!

P.S. In terms of him communting to work i would like to limit is to an hour at most (that is what he has now so he is kindof used to that)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 10:05 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,670,925 times
Middle Class in Northwest San Antonio (IMHO):

Potranco north to Culebra: Middle Class

Culebra north to Bandera: Middle-Upper Middle Class

Bandera north to I-10: Upper Middle Class

I-10 North (The Dominion): Uppity-Upper Middle Class

Of course, you have blending among these areas (except the Dominion).

Here is a description of the different neighborhoods in San Antonio:

Neighborhoods of San Antonio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-02-2007, 05:30 AM

592 posts, read 2,025,123 times
I 10 between 410 and 1604 is nice area

Old 10-02-2007, 09:05 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,746,446 times
I live in North Central SA right in the middle of 281 to the east, 410 to the south, 1604 to the north and IH10 to the west. Great location - in a mature neighborhood - Churchill Forest off Blanco Road. We are about a mile from Wurzbach parkway which gives great access to IH10 from our house. Many people in our neighborhood commute to the south side. I am looking to move in the coming year because we need a large home due to a growing family - check out the neighborhood on Zillow.com.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:58 AM

168 posts, read 483,076 times
Default Thanx for that link!

I really liked the Wikipedia link. Here is another that let's you view San Antonio, among other large Texas cities, by neighborhood:

House Almanac - San Antonio housing trends and values

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Middle Class in Northwest San Antonio (IMHO):

Potranco north to Culebra: Middle Class
Culebra north to Bandera: Middle-Upper Middle Class
Bandera north to I-10: Upper Middle Class
I-10 North (The Dominion): Uppity-Upper Middle Class
Of course, you have blending among these areas (except the Dominion).

Here is a description of the different neighborhoods in San Antonio:
Neighborhoods of San Antonio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-02-2007, 11:17 AM

18 posts, read 62,764 times
Default builders vs preowned

It is my understanding that Zachry's next big job will be building the Riverwalk up to the Pearl Brewery and the HQ will be just north of Downtown, which leaves the ballpark wide open. Mancke Park is great for that location as you just have to drive down Broadway. Homes are 1920's, heavy construction bungaloes.

Alamo Heights is just north of that and the school district there demands premium pricing.

Monte Vista is another SAISD alternative close to town.

Among new home builders, Newmark, Ryland and David Weekley seem best. Sitterle has interesting "retirement type" garden homes that include keeping your yard in the HOA fee.

Whatever you get, be sure to get water treatment. Moving from Dallas was a rude awakening to us as the water is 3x harder here. It ruins everything. My neighbor, an Army colonel, clued me into AvantaPure - Enhancing Home and Health, a GE top of the line product. It has better valves than the Sears unit I bot that lasted 2 years and, I found, was the same as Lowe's and Home Depot units. I learned it pays to spend a little more on your water treatment to get a trouble free unit. I was on the 3rd valve rebuild when I replaced the Sears unit.

Oh, and to get back to places to live, if you have time to build, and you play golf, the Bandit golf course in New Braunfels(south on 725) has great lots and you have 2 options to drive into town I35 or I10, and a third is Hwy 78. It is also near Lake McQueeny and Lake Dunlap. I have eyed that area as a good lot/home investment location.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:43 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,588,394 times
Yes, live on the North side of town. 281 and 1604 is a great area.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:21 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,746,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercone View Post
I really liked the Wikipedia link. Here is another that let's you view San Antonio, among other large Texas cities, by neighborhood:

House Almanac - San Antonio housing trends and values
Interesting site. However I question the accuracy. I pulled up mine and it showed it near what I paid six and a half years ago at about $80/square foot. Houses have been selling in my neighborhood and on my street for bewteen $95-100/square foot. Since Texas is a non disclosure state for home sales - sites like this are really a shot in the dark for true values. Same goes for Zillow. They only work in states where the actual sales price is recorded for public record.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:02 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,670,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
Interesting site. However I question the accuracy. I pulled up mine and it showed it near what I paid six and a half years ago at about $80/square foot. Houses have been selling in my neighborhood and on my street for between $95-100/square foot. Since Texas is a non disclosure state for home sales - sites like this are really a shot in the dark for true values. Same goes for Zillow. They only work in states where the actual sales price is recorded for public record.
You're right about Zillow's house values. However, it does have nice overhead pictures of properties. Kind of like "Big Brother" watching!

Old 10-02-2007, 08:18 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
Interesting site. However I question the accuracy. I pulled up mine and it showed it near what I paid six and a half years ago at about $80/square foot. Houses have been selling in my neighborhood and on my street for bewteen $95-100/square foot. Since Texas is a non disclosure state for home sales - sites like this are really a shot in the dark for true values. Same goes for Zillow. They only work in states where the actual sales price is recorded for public record.
This is old info pulled off bcad.org. It doesn't even show us as owners and we've been here over a year now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio