Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 04:21 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,344,935 times

Advertisements

just like to add. Vistana took (quite happily) a $500 deposit from me in November. I will never see it again, I thought about writing to the newspaper to be honest, I was so shocked.

I decided I could not move in at the desired date and asked for a portion of my money back. Even though the building was not complete and I could not move in anyway...no money back, and serious attitude and entitlement to my money to boot.

I understood taking a little for an app fee and whatever. But they took $500. I didn't wait a month, I waited about a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 11:27 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,723 times
I'd file with the BBB if I were you. From there, you can also contact the Texas Fair Trade Commission through the AG's office.

Incredibly unprofessional and shady business practice like this needs to be exposed. I'm sorry it happened to you...

BN

Old 05-13-2009, 07:11 AM

I agree. It is incredibly shady and unprofessional. I have some correspondence with one of the leasing agents, the manager I think actually. Somewhere I signed something that said I was not entitled to get my deposit back (though, ironically, if I HAD moved in I would have been entitled to my deposit back, at the very least).

It was wrong. I didn't move in and there argument that they held a unit for me and it kept other renters away is sooo bogus. It was only about a week later that I notified I could not move in, and they were not going to be done on time (I would have moved in early January). So, I was not keeping them from finding another renter. Sure sure its all in the fine print.

It's still an unprofessional thing to do. It's not the right thing to do and it makes them look very bad.

You are right, I had not thought of the BBB. I may look into that. I sure could use that money back now that I am putting a down payment on a condo.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:32 PM

do you know what the actual business is I would be filing a complaint against?

Old 05-13-2009, 01:42 PM

824 posts, read 1,816,419 times
Read your lease. Keep in mind, if they didn't actually default on their obligation(s), you probably don't have a case.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:43 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I agree. It is incredibly shady and unprofessional. I have some correspondence with one of the leasing agents, the manager I think actually. Somewhere I signed something that said I was not entitled to get my deposit back (though, ironically, if I HAD moved in I would have been entitled to my deposit back, at the very least).

It was wrong. I didn't move in and there argument that they held a unit for me and it kept other renters away is sooo bogus. It was only about a week later that I notified I could not move in, and they were not going to be done on time (I would have moved in early January). So, I was not keeping them from finding another renter. Sure sure its all in the fine print.

It's still an unprofessional thing to do. It's not the right thing to do and it makes them look very bad.

You are right, I had not thought of the BBB. I may look into that. I sure could use that money back now that I am putting a down payment on a condo.
This is going to be a little difficult. While it's true one can argue it's not smart business practice to not accommodate a customer, which would otherwise foster goodwill, if you actually signed a statement agreeing to these terms, no matter how fine the print was, you agreed to it. Technically, they've done nothing wrong. Maybe not smart on their part, but not a violation.

Last edited by Chaka; 05-13-2009 at 01:55 PM..

Old 05-13-2009, 01:48 PM

yeah, that is why I never did anything about it. I was informed that it was all in the "fine print" when I asked for my money back, but I never actually read it. It doesn't logically make sense to me because it was going toward a security deposit...which, traditionally you get back when you move out of an apartment...seemd shady to me considering I could not even move into cause damage.

I got some lip service about how they held the apartment for me and that money wasn't even going toward the security deposit (which it was).

I agree, its just shady and not very smart on their part. If they really needed my measly $500 that badly its not a good sign #1 and #2 it's just not cool and not good for your reputation.

It was a few months ago so I'm not even sure I have the paperwork anymore. I was just so disgusted I put it all behind me.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:55 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
Anyone know the current status of the Vistana? From the outside, it's looking pretty done.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:02 PM

824 posts, read 1,816,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Anyone know the current status of the Vistana? From the outside, it's looking pretty done.
Chaka -

They've leased just over 100 units - which is most of the units that are ready for move-in. The remainder of the building will be finished late June or early July. Still to early to tell, but it's off to a pretty killer start.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:16 PM

well what about all the people that were scheduled (and put down money) to move in in January? What happened to them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio