Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 11:07 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,774,335 times

Advertisements

Our City-Data.com San Antonio Forum Fall Meetup:

Saturday, 10/20/07

1:00PM - ??? (expecting likely to about 5PM or so; getting dark early already!!!!)

CHECK HERE RE WEATHER FORECAST:
AccuWeather.com - San Antonio, TX - Weather Forecast Details - Local Forecasts (http://www.accuweather.com/forecast-details.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&zipcode =78250&metric=0&fday=7 - broken link)
Sorry, I'm not subscribed to the hour by hour forecast for dates beyond 5 days out; if you check this site beginning Tues, 10/16/07, it should provide hourly forecasts for 10/20/07....

BRING:
Lawn chair or whatever type seating you wish

A side dish or dessert:
We talked about having a full potluck and possibly BBQ, but without renting a pavilion and being guaranteed a grill etc, we thought potluck snacks and desserts would be more manageable at this particular time.
Also, we chose the time accordingly, so that kids will have already been fed, and no one has to worry about food being on time, kids liking what's on the 'potluck' table etc.... This all just seemed easier and gives everyone time to focus on socializing more than cooking and serving....Obviously, if you bring your child and they need to be fed within this time frame, feel free!!

Drinks of your choice (everyone please bring your own beverage!):
CUT & PASTED FROM THE BRACKENRIDGE PARK WEBSITE:
"Alcohol Restrictions City Council voted on April 24, 2002, to restrict the use of alcohol in City parks, except by permit or in those parks exempted under the ordinance. The restrictions go into effect June 1, 2002.

Parks that are exempted include:

District 9

Belmeade Park
Olmos Basin Park
Sunken Garden Theater in Brackenridge Park
Koehler area in Brackenridge Park
San Antonio Zoo in Brackenridge Park
Gunn Sports Park in McAllister Park
San Antonio Gun Club lease area
Olmos Basin Golf Course
San Antonio Botanical Center
San Pedro Driving Range & Par 3"

I am reading this as a NO to alcoholic beverages on the general grounds of the park; use your own judgment.

GETTING THERE
I AM GOING TO POST A MAP ONLINE IN THIS SAME THREAD, WITH A LOCATION MARKED FOR THE MEETUP. THE ONLY MAP I COULD FIND ONLINE ONLY PINPOINTS THE SPECIFIC LOCATION OF THE GOLF COURSE AND THE SURROUNDING BUILDINGS.
THE MAP WILL PROBABLY BE POSTED MONDAY AFTERNOON OR EARLY EVENING.

DOGS
Cut & pasted from the McAllister Dog Park site:
"Dogs are allowed on-leash at other city parks, with the exception of the natural area parks, where no pets are allowed."
bring your dogs!!!

I am going to bring paper/foam plates, plastic cups, and napkins. If you are bringing something that is not finger food, but requires knives, forks, or spoons, please bring a package of them (plastic/disposable of course)

Feel free to bring ice if you wish. I don't have an ice chest available at this time and can't bring one.

Any suggestions, requests, or reminders, let us know. You can post them in here. I tried to cover everything but may have missed something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 11:49 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,552,553 times
Default Hooray!

Hmmmmmm..... which dog to bring?? The old Great Dane - nah, she's too blind and would bark at everyone. The crazy Boxer - nah, she's too hyper, would jump on everyone for a lick. The Malti-Tzu - nah, he's too much of a pest. Guess I'll just bring some of the kids, whichever ones will come (probably the 5 & 8 year old girls, maybe the 11 year old boy and 13 year old girl, and if a certain 16 year old with shocking pink hair comes I might be able to convince my almost 17 year old boy! )

Old 10-14-2007, 12:06 PM

154 posts, read 630,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
and if a certain 16 year old with shocking pink hair comes I might be able to convince my almost 17 year old boy! )
My 16 year old of the previously jet-black-with-lime-green-bangs was really annoyed that she had to get rid of the green here. (Clark HS doesn't allow weird hair colors. C'mon! The kid is a well-behaved straight A honor roll student!)

If we make it, maybe I can coax her into coming as well.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
Hmmmmmm..... which dog to bring?? The old Great Dane - nah, she's too blind and would bark at everyone. The crazy Boxer - nah, she's too hyper, would jump on everyone for a lick. The Malti-Tzu - nah, he's too much of a pest. Guess I'll just bring some of the kids, whichever ones will come (probably the 5 & 8 year old girls, maybe the 11 year old boy and 13 year old girl, and if a certain 16 year old with shocking pink hair comes I might be able to convince my almost 17 year old boy! )
ROFL!!! Shoot, bring 'em all Jules... just don't forget the pooper scooper and LOTS of extra-mega-high sugar snacks.... LOLOL

Old 10-14-2007, 05:48 PM

154 posts, read 630,817 times
About the alcohol thing:

I know that when we lived on the beach in Isle of Palms SC, the beaches were all "no alcohol allowed". Every darn local knew that the law was in place solely to give local police the teeth to arrest people causing a problem, mainly tourists or college students. People who lived there routinely took beer or whatever to the beach, all the cops knew it, (some of them did as well) and the rule of thumb was:

1) Don't flash it - i.e. discreetly pour from your cooler into a plain cup, no waving around bottles, loudly calling to your buddy if he wants another beer, etc. That way, when the jerk they DO arrest complains everyone else was doing it, the cops can feign ignorance - they "never saw it".

2) If you are loud and boisterous, they'll come see what's in your cup/cooler. If you are sitting there with your beer and your family enjoying the surf and not bothering anyone, they could care less. I had beach patrol ride by WHILE I was quietly pouring, and they'd just nod and grin.

Now, I know that no one on here can outright recommend breaking the law. But I was just curious if the "no alcohol" parks here have similar unspoken rules. (Realizing, of course, that you could still always get that one stickler cop who's had a bad day and wants to pass it on!)

Old 10-14-2007, 06:10 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
So...just in case anyone asks, that is CHERRY KOOLAID I am enjoying, NOT red wine!

Old 10-14-2007, 07:51 PM

30 posts, read 123,384 times
Wait a minute I've got to check the forum more often.... First I'm bummed that I won't be home from WA. until the 26th. Second you all better have fun with out me.... And third Jules, why would you want to subject MPinSC's obviously cool daughter to our son?

Old 10-14-2007, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
So...just in case anyone asks, that is CHERRY KOOLAID I am enjoying, NOT red wine!
Wine??? WHAT wine??
Good heavens, you don't drink wine, do you??? Nahhhhhh.....

Old 10-14-2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otherhalf07 View Post
Wait a minute I've got to check the forum more often.... First I'm bummed that I won't be home from WA. until the 26th. Second you all better have fun with out me.... And third Jules, why would you want to subject MPinSC's obviously cool daughter to our son?
Awwwww, I didn't know Jules' other half was even registered on here... very nice to meet you Mr. O7.
Bummer you can't join us..... but we'll be doing another one somewhere down the road, probably at a restaurant somewhere in the 'winter' months....

Old 10-15-2007, 09:00 AM

781 posts, read 3,815,705 times
Sounds like so much fun.......have a great time and I'll look forward to the next one:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio