Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2013, 11:44 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times

Advertisements

If you want them for free, the best thing to do is just keep checking the free ads on Craigslist every day, or a few times a day if you have time to pick them up that day. The only way to get what you want right away is to buy them somewhere, if you want free you have to wait until someone is giving them away. Pretty much anything free and useable on Craigslist ends up being picked up the first day the ad is up.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 07:12 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,968,633 times
My father got a lot of large limestone rocks off 1604 where they have cut into the hills for my parents landscaping. Drive around Evans and Green Mountain road, no shortage of rocks laying around off the shoulder.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:37 PM

77 posts, read 124,896 times
One of my earliest childhood memories is going with my parents out to the hill country to steal big rocks for landscaping. You should create some memories like that for your own children.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:08 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,255 times
Yup, families that steal together stay together.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:11 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,026,358 times
Finally, a thread where I may be slightly useful. prim8's correct, families that steal together DO stay together! Shortly after we had our lawn put down at our old house when we moved to SA in 2001, my stepfather & I drove on over to some cul-de-sac in the neighborhood that was under construction & we grabbed a bunch of like-colored rocks for our landscaping. As i remember it, we took several trips over 3 days to get it all done. And our yard looked quite elegant for it (especially since it was the natural, local rock in the neighborhood)....we did a very good job.

You hadn't mentioned if you were getting the rocks for your landscape in an area of new construction or in an established neighborhood. This could be an option, however, if you can find rocks to your liking at a construction site. I should note that we never heard any "permission" to harvest rocks nor did we ask, we just grabbed it from 2 different plots in that cul-de-sac. I'm pretty sure the construction guys appreciated how much smaller we made their pile of rocks: they had less of them to deal with.

At our current house, we were able to find all the rocks we needed on or in our own land, although that doesn't seem to be an option for you, otherwise you wouldn't have began this thread. My grandmother even bought a jackhammer to help in the landscaping. She's kind of a hardcore gardener. I swear the backyard has been churned up more times than the ground on Jupiter's volcanic moon Io.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:59 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,475 times
Default Constuction Sites on the Northside outskirts,

If you are looking for limestone or sandstone stop in and ask they would probably give them to you.
Sometimes the workers want to make some extra money and charge you but the rocks are usually just haul away materials that must be trucked-if they do not need them for extra fill it then it is only excess material. Or they may be doing landscaping with them on site if it is a small project then they will not give them away.You may have to drive a ways to get them. A larger project is certain to have excess material but they may not want you inside there because of insurance reasons , that is if you were to get injured there loading the rocks yourself they could become liable.
Abandoned quarries are another likely spot or dry stream beds off state roads.
Green Mountain Rd was suggested. Cuts through hills for highway 281 north or I-10 west always have
stone laying at the base of the cliffs from fracturing. Watch for falling rocks, like some of the
highway signs post. It depends on what you are looking for.
I once, where I lived, built a bar-b-que smoker from flat white limestone splinters out of such material with mortar, at no cost except for the few sacks of mortar and the removable grill -it was indestructible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargersrool View Post
I just moved here to San Antonio and I'm going to do something with the landscape of my backyard where I want to add a natural rock fountain. Where can I find a bunch of rocks? any part of the outskirts in S.A. that would be the most likely to find a bunch?

Old 01-15-2013, 06:58 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,968,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiler View Post
One of my earliest childhood memories is going with my parents out to the hill country to steal big rocks for landscaping. You should create some memories like that for your own children.
You're right he should. Please lecture me some more on the morality of removing rocks from the side of roads.

Last edited by TXEX06; 01-15-2013 at 07:15 AM..

Old 01-15-2013, 07:53 AM

545 posts, read 1,061,329 times
I thought it was a rite of passage to drive around in a truck with your dad and steal limestone rocks in this city. At least that's what he told me....

Old 01-16-2013, 02:13 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,074 times
You can get rocks from BLM land. Unsure where the nearest is. You might or might not need a permit.

Rock Collecting

Old 01-16-2013, 05:07 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
I don't think he wants to travel to Utah when he griped about Medina Lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: