Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 01:58 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times

Advertisements

I heard WOAI radio news director Jim Forsyth, who attended Chan's press conference yesterday, discussing how strange it was on the air this morning.

He said when he walked into the room, the place was packed with her supporters, which NEVER happens with press conferences. He said his biggest concern with covering the event was that the applause would confuse listeners and viewers, making them think that the media was applauding her comments. There were actually only about 10 people in the room from various media outlets.

He pointed out that she took exactly two questions and answered neither of them. In between the two questions from the media, she called on one of her supporters, who offered a comment about how she agreed with Chan's assessment of disgust.

Sounded like it was quite a circus.

The Express-News article in this mornng's paper pointed out that her office only told the media the time and room for the event 30 minutes prior to it happening, but admitted that those details had been shared with the cadre of supporters the night before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 02:32 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Pretty sure no one would mistake the media as being supportive of anything like this. Please.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:08 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcferguson View Post
If merely verbalizing one's beliefs is the same as imposing them, then no one should have a problem with imposing beliefs. Everyone imposes their beliefs on a daily basis.

There's a difference between chatting with a friend, and a person in a supervisory role verbalizing them with those she supervises. As an employer, there are certain things you can't say to your staff, as that can be construed as coercion or direct orders. This applies to many issues, not just this one. As a personal in a political office, this becomes even more important. That said, it sounds like those in the room did not feel imposed upon, except perhaps the person who recorded it.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:32 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyGuardian View Post
If you haven't listened to the whole recording, at least read a transcript. Her aides do a lot of talking but she does too. This is probably my favorite part:

The best and the brightest, folks.

Then at this point they are sure the ordinance is going to pass, but they are brainstorming on what to do (op ed, etc) to come out against it to score points for a future election:

Chan claims she was talking about beastiality there. Give me a break.
I heard on the radio that she's claiming the recording was edited to make it sound like she was disgusted by homosexuality, rather than bestiality.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:53 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I heard on the radio that she's claiming the recording was edited to make it sound like she was disgusted by homosexuality, rather than bestiality.
...yet she did not deny the original allegations when she was questioned. Why is she discussing bestiality on taxpayers' time? How did the topic come up? Let's not be naive.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:08 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyGuardian View Post
If you haven't listened to the whole recording, at least read a transcript. Her aides do a lot of talking but she does too. This is probably my favorite part:

The best and the brightest, folks.
This is what bothered me the most about the recording. If you're opposed to homosexuality because of your religion, oh well. It's usually not worth it to argue people's religious beliefs because you're more than likely not going to change anything. But, the stupid comments like the ones about shaving and hormone shots that didn't make any sense really disturbed me because these people are working in our government. Chan was confusing homosexuals with transgender people. I know they aren't scientists, but I would expect them to be a little more educated and to have some common sense. It's really bothersome when people base their hate on pseudoscience and ignorance. It's also amazing how some people can tell others with such assurance that they chose their sexual orientation without any proof as if they're psychic. I can't see myself choosing to be gay. If someone can see himself or herself choosing to be gay, then their sexuality is probably more fluid than they think.

Many in the religious community who are intolerant of the LGBT community have shown evidence of not believing that people choose to be gay. They have attempted to pray away the gay, counsel away the gay, perform exorcisms, and to come up with psycho-social and environmental theories for why people are gay.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:07 AM

475 posts, read 1,094,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datacity View Post
Indefinite leave will probably become permanent.
That did not take long...

Chan's ex-staffer Bazan leaving new council job - San Antonio Express-News

Old 08-23-2013, 11:18 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Why would someone discuss the illegal activities of beastiality and pedophilia when discussing Homosexuality?

That is the least of Ms. Chan's problems as new revalations are coming to surface. Seems Ms. Chan was making disparaging remarks of a fellow counsilperson's living arranegments.

Quote:
Ex-San Antonio City Councilwoman Leticia Ozuna has called for the resignation of current District 9 Councilwoman Elisa Chan after comments she made regarding Ozuna's transgendered spouse were released by the San Antonio Express-News Thursday night.

...Despite a written apology released Friday morning -- in which Chan says she apologizes profusely for "referencing (Ozuna's family's) lives in our private conversation" -- Ozuna told the Express-News on Friday that she believes Chan should step down.
Report: Ex-councilwoman Leticia Ozuna asks for Elisa Chan's resignation | News - Home

Old 08-23-2013, 11:31 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Why would someone discuss the illegal activities of beastiality and pedophilia when discussing Homosexuality?

That is the least of Ms. Chan's problems as new revalations are coming to surface. Seems Ms. Chan was making disparaging remarks of a fellow counsilperson's living agranegments.

Report: Ex-councilwoman Leticia Ozuna asks for Elisa Chan's resignation | News - Home
Because most people understand that it's a slippery slope, and there's a lot of fear out there. Some justified, some not. Honestly, though, I don't think she should have apologized to Leticia Ozuna. Good grief. I mean, the woman has a friggin' strange life. That's her prerogative, but come on. We ALL have to accept it and support it? No way. No thanks. There's tolerance, and then there's approval. I think the voters of District 3 had their say about that when they voted her out.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:16 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,348,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Because most people understand that it's a slippery slope, and there's a lot of fear out there. Some justified, some not. Honestly, though, I don't think she should have apologized to Leticia Ozuna. Good grief. I mean, the woman has a friggin' strange life. That's her prerogative, but come on. We ALL have to accept it and support it? No way. No thanks. There's tolerance, and then there's approval. I think the voters of District 3 had their say about that when they voted her out.

I agree it is strange.

I still don't know why Chan's meeting went into bestiality or pedophilia though. One relationship is two consenting adults while the others are illegal and not consensual.

I still support a lot of what Chan believes in on other subjects but this she clearly needs to educate her self a bit.

Everyone is hung up on the "disgusting" word which kind of baffles me. To a lot of people two men in a bed is disgusting. To a lot of gay men a women in any ones bed is disgusting. The word disgusting has more to two the physical aspect of homosexuality and you can't be mad at her for that. You can tell she is an amateur politician though because she should have never let that meeting go in the direction it did.

My problem is you can't justify allowing discrimination because you find something disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio