Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 07:29 AM

475 posts, read 1,094,262 times

Advertisements

Yes, I am not sure that the tone of the letter was as appropriate as it could have been for an elected official. She comes across a bit weaker than I assume she really is in this city.

Still, I do think many of her points are at least worth considering, as I do think adding regulations on top of existing ones, without considering existing laws or the entire issue, is just a form of self congratulatory posturing for political points.

What I find most interesting though, are the sentences that allude to potential conflicts of interest or quid pro quos with respect to the Pre-K for SA program. If indeed there are those situations, I hope they are brought to light.

Last edited by datacity; 02-02-2013 at 07:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 08:28 AM

864 posts, read 867,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datacity View Post
What I find most interesting though, are the sentences that allude to potential conflicts of interest or quid pro quos with respect to the Pre-K for SA program. If indeed there are those situations, I hope they are brought to light.
Blatant Chicago style politics. The quid pro quos are there, just need to dig a little.

It would be nice to see Ms. Chan challenge Mayor Castro when his current term is up. She has my vote.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:58 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuero View Post
Blatant Chicago style politics. The quid pro quos are there, just need to dig a little.

It would be nice to see Ms. Chan challenge Mayor Castro when his current term is up. She has my vote.
That vote would fall exactly how the Pre-K for SA vote did.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:18 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,067 times
Chan's allegations are short on details.

Quote:
Such insinuations of corruption require elaboration. Chan, however, did not return a call on Monday.
Chan's allegations are short on details - San Antonio Express-News

So all the claims she made were unsubstantiated political obfuscation in an attempt to dodge the deserved scrutiny being given to her.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:02 AM

So, she only reveals after the E-N does but had already voted.

In the end Elisa Chan will help better the system but only because this adds more fuel to Castro's ethics revision initiative.

New vote set on land deal - San Antonio Express-News

Old 04-06-2013, 06:33 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
So, she only reveals after the E-N does but had already voted.

In the end Elisa Chan will help better the system but only because this adds more fuel to Castro's ethics revision initiative.

New vote set on land deal - San Antonio Express-News
I read that. I'm not a big Elisa Chan fan, but nowhere in that long article in the E-N did it explain how the presence of a library on the adjacent land is in any way beneficial to the land that her engineering business sits on.

Yeah, her instinct should have been to disclose it, but I still don't see how her property is more valuable next to a library. If she was running a retail business, there are obvious benefits to being located next to a library. But there's no advantage for an office building that I can see. OTOH, if the city were locating its Engineering offices there, I'd call shenanigans. This isn't that.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I read that. I'm not a big Elisa Chan fan, but nowhere in that long article in the E-N did it explain how the presence of a library on the adjacent land is in any way beneficial to the land that her engineering business sits on.

Yeah, her instinct should have been to disclose it, but I still don't see how her property is more valuable next to a library. If she was running a retail business, there are obvious benefits to being located next to a library. But there's no advantage for an office building that I can see. OTOH, if the city were locating its Engineering offices there, I'd call shenanigans. This isn't that.
The article might not satisfy the question you posed above but if asked differently (as emboldened above by myself for emphasis) then Mary Kieke with the Bexar Appraisal District gives an understandable and adequate answer.

Chan's engineering company would not get more business because of her vote but if deciding to sell that land and relocate that business or liquidate then personal profit enters the picture.

Bo, so you no longer see Chan as someone with potential to rise far in politics? I personally think it can go either way still but her image is becoming muddied and her allies seem to be offering minimal public support but they most likely will fight for her behind the scenes.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:24 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Bo, so you no longer see Chan as someone with potential to rise far in politics? I personally think it can go either way still but her image is becoming muddied and her allies seem to be offering minimal public support but they most likely will fight for her behind the scenes.
I still think she might run for mayor. I've never been crazy about the idea of her being the mayor. Voters in this city have short memories. Nothing she's done thus far precludes her from running for mayor.

My opinion is that most of the mud is being slung by proxies for the mayor, who don't appreciate the mud she's flinging his way. Her only allies on the council in the 7-3 votes are Reed Williams, who's not running for re-election and Carlton Soules, who's only in his first term and is still finding his footing. I wouldn't be surprised if Soules eventually runs for mayor. That District 10 seat is becoming a launching pad for bigger things, too.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:47 AM

Lots of variables but you summed it up well including the infighting behind the scenes between the mayor's camp and hers, if it can be characterized that way but I am not claiming that is exactly what you said?

Old 04-06-2013, 09:53 AM

349 posts, read 422,276 times
On an unrelated note, is San Antonio EVER going to redistrict?

I mean since the population is booming toward the north and now far west, shouldnt there be a more equitable division of city 'leadership'?

When was the districts last redistricted? I cant recall when.

And after doing my own research it seems as though it is happening, though the maps on the city's website are not surprisingly not working.

Anything that doesnt move the general shape to the north is stupid. Reading a few articles, it seems as though this retarded city could use more districts and since we dont pay city council anything, it wouldnt in theory cost too much at all.

But it wont happen because that would either a. make too much sense or b. shift power away from the minority districts.

Last edited by dastexan; 04-06-2013 at 10:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio