Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 07:51 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,005,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paka View Post
i realize you are trying to make it better ryan...but lets face it...do you want to get stabbed or shot to death does not make the choice any easier to swallow....
lmao!!!!!!! :d:d:d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 10:45 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,178,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
So tell me this...how is it the roadwork for 151/Alamo Ranch Parkway is stopped cold by the discovery of some stupid blind spider, and it is ok to build a movie theater on the same spot???!?!?!?

REALLY???!?!?!?!?
Yes, it's dumb, but that's how it works. Since TxDOT is a government agency using federal money, they're subject to a whole litany of regulations that private property developers are not.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:56 AM

349 posts, read 422,232 times
Did people really expect there not to be further massive development over in Alamo Ranch or something when they moved in there?

I mean you have this massive shopping complex, with an even more massive housing development in the area.

I'm a little surprised its taken this long, but with all the home building going on there, it makes so much business sense for a theater company to go in at Alamo Ranch. The closest competition is over at Bandera/1604. There is NOTHING as far as theaters anywhere else nearby.

I'm sure they will figure out something that works in regards to the 151/1604 section. They will use such a large footprint that there will be plenty of access points (presumably) in all directions in the end onto Alamo Ranch Parkway, onto 1604 and probably onto 151 also.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:52 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dastexan View Post
Did people really expect there not to be further massive development over in Alamo Ranch or something when they moved in there?

I mean you have this massive shopping complex, with an even more massive housing development in the area.

I'm a little surprised its taken this long, but with all the home building going on there, it makes so much business sense for a theater company to go in at Alamo Ranch. The closest competition is over at Bandera/1604. There is NOTHING as far as theaters anywhere else nearby.

I'm sure they will figure out something that works in regards to the 151/1604 section. They will use such a large footprint that there will be plenty of access points (presumably) in all directions in the end onto Alamo Ranch Parkway, onto 1604 and probably onto 151 also.

You might be right on a technicality...but we have a blind spider to protect us from undo development!!!! He was ours (ok...until they disected it to figure out what it was) we lay CLAIM to it and are ready to PROTEST to DEFEND IT (and stop this insanity!) LOL

Old 03-15-2013, 01:26 PM

349 posts, read 422,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
You might be right on a technicality...but we have a blind spider to protect us from undo development!!!! He was ours (ok...until they disected it to figure out what it was) we lay CLAIM to it and are ready to PROTEST to DEFEND IT (and stop this insanity!) LOL

the theater still gets built in the same general location I'm sure.

I get the sarcasm, but it doesnt really change anything from the private development standpoint.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dastexan View Post
the theater still gets built in the same general location I'm sure.

I get the sarcasm, but it doesnt really change anything from the private development standpoint.
SERIOUSLY???!?!?!? I extinct, blind little spider who has to sit on the corner of `1604 & 151 interchange gets NO respect over comercial development....say it isn't so??? I am calling my 3rd cousin, the spotted horned owl! He MADE them respect him up in Washington/OR and they got out of MY way to live in peace with nature!!!!!

Old 03-15-2013, 02:11 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,178,695 times
Let me clarify my earlier statement...

Private property owners are covered by the Endangered Species Act. It's just that it's quite a bit more streamlined for private developers than it is for government agencies. It's typically enforced during the local permitting process. Generally, COSA requires developers to submit a biologist's report if they're building in an area likely to have endangered species and to submit a mitigation plan to the US Fish & Wildlife Service if any are found. USFWS generally approves those under the "incidental takings" provision of the ESA. Government agencies have to jump through a lot more hoops and have more direct oversight from USFWS than do private developers. Still, if USFWS finds a developer has violated the ESA, they can force them to stop construction.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
Let me clarify my earlier statement...

Private property owners are covered by the Endangered Species Act. It's just that it's quite a bit more streamlined for private developers than it is for government agencies. It's typically enforced during the local permitting process. Generally, COSA requires developers to submit a biologist's report if they're building in an area likely to have endangered species and to submit a mitigation plan to the US Fish & Wildlife Service if any are found. USFWS generally approves those under the "incidental takings" provision of the ESA. Government agencies have to jump through a lot more hoops and have more direct oversight from USFWS than do private developers. Still, if USFWS finds a developer has violated the ESA, they can force them to stop construction.
I SEE...said the blind spider to the deaf dog as it held his peg leg out the window to see if it was raining.....

Old 03-15-2013, 10:57 PM

502 posts, read 934,430 times
Too bad that theater will get trashy within a year...good thing is the bandera location may get better

Old 03-16-2013, 06:50 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,196,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeptech210 View Post
Too bad that theater will get trashy within a year...good thing is the bandera location may get better
Better than what ???....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio