Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2013, 10:08 PM

4 posts, read 10,964 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I just moved to San Antonio from Virginia in December. I've been staying with my sister on the west side, but they're PCS'ing to Maryland in May and I'm currently on the apartment hunt. My boyfriend works near Lackland, and we were looking into moving Downtown to get a bit of the nightlife, restaurants, and culture of the area. We're willing to put up 1,000/month (maximum) on and apartment but I haven't found anything I like that much. I've mostly been looking at the Cadillac Lofts or the Cevallos Lofts, but both are a bit pricey and the availability is dodgy. My sister suggested the more domestic apartments like Willow Creek or Callaghan Crossing. I also have a puppy now, who might get up to 40 lbs, but she's just almost 5 months.
I should also mention that the both of us don't have credit. I have some due to a student loan and a starter credit card, but we're 19 and 23 so between the two of us we don't have much. Is that going to be much a problem when looking for apartments in San Antonio?

I'd love suggestions. Apartment finders are nice, but hearing from unbiased people would be great. I also don't have any friends here in San Antonio so maybe being part of a forum would help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 12:29 AM

340 posts, read 586,129 times
There's do many apartment options in not only Southtown but also SoFlo, River North, the Peàrl and Lower Broadway.

In Southtown, St. benidicts, Blue Star and Cevallos Lofts are the main options.

In the Lower Broadway, Pearl, RiverNorth area there's 1800 Broadway, Can Plant, 1221 Broadway. There's three other apartment developments under construction in that area as well, Mosiac, The Cellar, Avenue A Residences.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:42 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,633 times
Towers at the Majestic are within your range but not in Southtown.

While not hip or in Southtown either there is always the Soap Works and also the Towne Center apartments, both are well within your range. I am not familiar with the opinion of residents' but they are Downtown and well below your range.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:36 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,553,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedry View Post
Hey all,

I just moved to San Antonio from Virginia in December. I've been staying with my sister on the west side, but they're PCS'ing to Maryland in May and I'm currently on the apartment hunt. My boyfriend works near Lackland, and we were looking into moving Downtown to get a bit of the nightlife, restaurants, and culture of the area. We're willing to put up 1,000/month (maximum) on and apartment but I haven't found anything I like that much. I've mostly been looking at the Cadillac Lofts or the Cevallos Lofts, but both are a bit pricey and the availability is dodgy. My sister suggested the more domestic apartments like Willow Creek or Callaghan Crossing. I also have a puppy now, who might get up to 40 lbs, but she's just almost 5 months.
I should also mention that the both of us don't have credit. I have some due to a student loan and a starter credit card, but we're 19 and 23 so between the two of us we don't have much. Is that going to be much a problem when looking for apartments in San Antonio?

I'd love suggestions. Apartment finders are nice, but hearing from unbiased people would be great. I also don't have any friends here in San Antonio so maybe being part of a forum would help!
Best way to find apartments in Southtown is to drive around (or walk around) the neighborhood. Many places are individual units and will have signs up but not advertised elsewhere.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:23 PM

580 posts, read 1,429,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Best way to find apartments in Southtown is to drive around (or walk around) the neighborhood. Many places are individual units and will have signs up but not advertised elsewhere.
Very true--and this counts for all of the areas you might be interested in. There are plenty of four-plexes and houses split up into units--and some are very, very nice. You can even get small houses in cool areas (Southtown, Tobin Hill, etc.) for less than $1,000 a month--usually two bedrooms.

That said, apartment finders can help.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:12 PM

203 posts, read 561,183 times
The large dog may be a problem unfortunately especially on the breed type

Old 03-18-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakssa View Post
The large dog may be a problem unfortunately especially on the breed type
Yeah, I'm noticing that. She's a black mouth cur, but her papers say lab/mix. I have an appointment at the Cadillac Lofts this weekend, and I remember them having some pretty good pet policies. (Except for the pet deposit, but that's awful everywhere.)

Old 03-18-2013, 01:49 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,553,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedry View Post
Yeah, I'm noticing that. She's a black mouth cur, but her papers say lab/mix. I have an appointment at the Cadillac Lofts this weekend, and I remember them having some pretty good pet policies. (Except for the pet deposit, but that's awful everywhere.)

Do you require an apartment building or are you considering a small house/duplex type situation? There are numerous of the latter in the area, and many won't have an issue with a dog. But as I said, you'll need to drive around.

Good luck.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Do you require an apartment building or are you considering a small house/duplex type situation? There are numerous of the latter in the area, and many won't have an issue with a dog. But as I said, you'll need to drive around.

Good luck.
We're looking at both. I've been thinking more of the lofty-type because that's our style, but I'm not opposed to small houses. Thank you for your input! I have an appointment at The French Place this weekend and will definitely stop to look around downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: