Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 11:59 AM

187 posts, read 946,159 times

Advertisements

In high school we used to go to these and drink beer and make out. Midget mansion (sorry if thats rude but thats what we called it) was behind Santikos. Gecu mansion was behind where gecu used to be on I10. I think its sacu now.

Huge mansions abandoned. boy if i knew then what i know now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 07:39 PM

119 posts, read 544,243 times
I always heard of these places, but never knew where they were. Can you elaborate about their locations?

Old 11-03-2007, 10:10 AM

8 posts, read 71,266 times
Does anyone remember the "Fat Farm" out off of 281 a few miles North of 1604?

Old 11-03-2007, 12:38 PM

187 posts, read 946,159 times
lol fat farm. heard about it but never seen it.

gecu mansion is gone but it used to be where some big medical place is now on I 10. there is a bank there too north of vance jackson. the two lane street lead right to it up on the left. used to be one small road cutting across the field from i 10. i can still see it.

first park ten blvd is the street

midget mansion

elbow of tupelo Ln

In both you can see the wide open field/area where an estate once was.

Last edited by maluminse; 11-03-2007 at 12:47 PM..

Old 11-05-2007, 11:55 PM

2 posts, read 17,104 times
Midget Mansion, is gone now, but it was on the corner of I10 and Callaghan Rd, you would drive west on Callaghan and take a right on Tupelo, it came onto Callighan and you would curve over to Mockingbird Rd.. the Mansion was a huge two story white colonial/georgian style, with square columns.

We went into one time, and all the doors were locked, but there were little doors cut into the regular doors. it was dark and scarry.

anyone remember Donkey Lady? did she not live over behind the Roaring 20's Club off of Blanco, (now burned)?

OH,, and who knows about this red brick georgian building now abandond near Bandara Rd. and W Woodlawn Ave?? what was it?

Old 11-06-2007, 04:36 PM

9 posts, read 47,875 times
Default Fat Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynechef View Post
Does anyone remember the "Fat Farm" out off of 281 a few miles North of 1604?
I went out there quite a bit for a year or so. Towards the end, DPS Troopers would check on the place, dump our beer, tell us to go home. Engineerd some truly scary experiences for the high school girls, then drank beer and made out. Great fun! one night we went out there and a cable with pad lock was up across both drives and that was it.

There were a few buildings, one big one, you could walk through it on two levels, there were torn up magazines and newspapers all over the floors. It was kind of creepy.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:14 AM

4 posts, read 27,142 times
You may be referring to the old Gillispie Home which was behind the SACU (GECU) building on I-10 just north of Vance Jackson. There was a road that curved around from Vance Jackson and dead ended at the SACU Building, but likely pushed through to I-10 before the SACU building was build. The Gillispie home was actually "moved" a couple of years ago for a shopping center anchored by Walmart. I seem to recall that the Gillispie family moved it out to a family ranch out of town. The "bank" you refer to may be SACU (actually a credit union) or the Blood Bank next door.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:41 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,694,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant_Taylor1959 View Post
Midget Mansion, is gone now, but it was on the corner of I10 and Callaghan Rd, you would drive west on Callaghan and take a right on Tupelo, it came onto Callighan and you would curve over to Mockingbird Rd.. the Mansion was a huge two story white colonial/georgian style, with square columns.
That is not midget mansion. That is Mockingbird Hill. Midget Mansion was bulldozed about 20 years ago on the site that is now Promitory Point Apartments, which is near that location. It was right where Donore makes a 90 degree turn.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/L_IMAGE.10eaf6a6a7e.93.88.fa.d0.2b787c13.jpg (broken link)
(Bob Owen/Express-News)
Mockingbird Hill — also known as Denman Estate or Rosemont — was built in 1920 and is valued at nearly half a million dollars. Councilman Art Hall suggested it could serve as a library.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:56 AM

413 posts, read 1,404,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
That is not midget mansion. That is Mockingbird Hill. Midget Mansion was bulldozed about 20 years ago on the site that is now Promitory Point Apartments, which is near that location. It was right where Donore makes a 90 degree turn.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/L_IMAGE.10eaf6a6a7e.93.88.fa.d0.2b787c13.jpg (broken link)
(Bob Owen/Express-News)
Mockingbird Hill — also known as Denman Estate or Rosemont — was built in 1920 and is valued at nearly half a million dollars. Councilman Art Hall suggested it could serve as a library.

This is my dream home!! I have been in love with this house since I was 9. When I'm rich, I'm going to try to buy this home and I will do whatever it takes or at least build a replica. LOL

Old 01-27-2008, 12:59 PM

454 posts, read 505,574 times
Only half a million? Surely it's worth more than double that!

All the homes on Mockingbird/Tupelo are amazing. I drive through there everyday on my way home and dream. It's a wonderful setting - a bit of the Texas Hill Country in the middle of the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio