Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 11:46 AM

293 posts, read 392,055 times

Advertisements

I was recently given a car that I am going to transfer over to my name at the sylvia romo tax place to register, but the person who gave me the car stated I will have to pay taxes and stated if they write a reciept that they sold it to me for 5.00 it would be that I only have to pay taxes on the 5.00, is that how it works? I have never went through the process of transferring a title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 11:49 AM

838 posts, read 1,211,230 times
You won't pay tax on $5, you will pay tax on the estimated value of the car, even if the car was a gift. Too many people were trying to get out of paying tax on the purchase of used vehicles by saying it was a gift so they made a law saying you pay tax on the estimated value of the vehicle regardless of what you paid for it (or didn't pay for it).

Old 06-09-2013, 11:53 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
It depends who sold you the car:
Eligible Gift Transfers –
To qualify to be taxed as a gift ($10), a vehicle must be received from the following eligible parties:
• spouse (separate property only–vehicles held as community property are not subject to the tax);
• parent or stepparent;
• father/mother-in-law or son/daughter-in-law;
• grandparent/grandparent-in-law or grandchild/grandchild-in-law;
• child or stepchild;
• sibling/brother-in-law/sister-in-law;
• guardian;
• decedent’s estate (inherited); or
• a nonprofit service organization qualifying under Section 501(c)(3), IRC (gift tax applies when the entity is either the donor or recipient).
A motor vehicle received outside of Texas from an eligible donor may also qualify as a gift when brought into Texas.
All other motor vehicle transfers, including those made without payment of consideration, are defined as sales and may be subject to Standard Presumptive Value (SPV) procedures.
See Tax Code Sec. 152.0412, Standard Presumptive
Value; Use By TaxAssessor-Collector and Rule 3.79, Standard Presumptive Valu
http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinf...rms/14-317.pdf

Old 06-09-2013, 12:36 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,557,580 times
Standard Presumptive Value can also kick in when the sales price is lower than the presumptive value from a dealership or other company. I purchased a car going off lease from the leasing company that leased it to my neighbor. They sell them off below market value. I had to pay tax on a presumptive value of around 12K, even though the purchase price was 8K. And this was NOT a private party sale.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:49 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
If the car is a gift from an eligible party (as listed in post #3), the person giving the car to you has to have a form notarized saying they gave you the car. It's easiest just to take them with you to the tax assessor's office because they can notarize the form.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:22 PM

ok thanks, it was given to me from my mom since usaa totally screwed me over on my car claiming its uninsurable after having front end damage to the side so I was in a bind and she is giving me a toyota solara but if its easier to claim as a gift she will go with me, but I should still plan on paying some type of tax right?

Old 06-13-2013, 05:06 PM

733 posts, read 1,047,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
If the car is a gift from an eligible party (as listed in post #3), the person giving the car to you has to have a form notarized saying they gave you the car. It's easiest just to take them with you to the tax assessor's office because they can notarize the form.

actually, they dont. my csb:

my wife and i were given a car from her mother. title was lost, had to get a bonded title. no worries right? mostly. they did indeed tax us on the value of the car, despite us paying zero for it. their logic? 'we dont know if its stolen and without the title we have to charge you'.

this was a 'manager' at the downtown branch.

he no longer works there and his boss explained policy and that if we had the title and my mother in law came down with us, we would have paid a gift tax and nothing else.

subsequently, you can get a title transfer from a 3rd party title business, claim a gift, and they are a lot more lax than the downtown branch.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:33 PM

When my mom gave me her old car, I went to get the title transferred without her and they said she had to come also or have the form notarized. So we just went to the tax office together.

I do think title services are easier to do business with and more convenient but they still have to have the right paperwork to submit to the state.

When I titled the car my mom gave me, I didn't have to pay tax, but I had to pay for the title and registration. I can't remember how much it was, I've paid for a lot of things since then

Old 06-14-2013, 12:41 PM

so the downtown branch would be better go go to rather than the office on guilbuea? Thanks for all the info and advice.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:06 PM

The office on Gilbeau should be fine too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio