Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 12:43 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Probably very little, since its LED and solar power. How much cost do you put on your life?
Quite a bit - which is why I carefully observe stop signs, and NEVER trust the other car to obey 'em. Called "Defensive Driving". Works pretty good, too.

Now....I highly suggest that you do some research on what EACH of those signs cost, then look and see what the real-world cost of annual maintenance is.

Oh, yeah - and ask what the cost of litigation will be if someone "blows" one of the signs that is malfunctioning, and then sues the CITY because it wasn't working properly. Won't do it, you say? Ask the city about the cost of litigation over malfunctioning low water crossing devices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 12:57 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,620,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Well the one on N. Vandiver is not any of those cases. That being said I'd rather they spend money on this and not on putting in "complete" street everywhere.

This is Eisenhauer heading east towards Vandiver...

At night...there are no lights...

Unless you know the area...
This might not be the case for you...but perhaps
for others it might be !

Old 07-22-2013, 01:18 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,348,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post
This is Eisenhauer heading east towards Vandiver...

At night...there are no lights...

Unless you know the area...
This might not be the case for you...but perhaps
for others it might be !
I guess your right. I live near there and go through the area all the time and I really never even noticed that many trees.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
I guess your right. I live near there and go through the area all the time and I really never even noticed that many trees.
I also live in this area.

The other intersection nearby , there are no obstructions & the signs can be seen...
but on an average of 2 out of 4...they don't stop at all. I know this when I'm out on the front
yard.

When I'm inside...I can hear the screeching of tires at this intersection daily...

I don't drive anymore unless it is really essential...besides it's too hot !

Old 07-22-2013, 02:51 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Quite a bit - which is why I carefully observe stop signs, and NEVER trust the other car to obey 'em. Called "Defensive Driving". Works pretty good, too.

Now....I highly suggest that you do some research on what EACH of those signs cost, then look and see what the real-world cost of annual maintenance is.

Oh, yeah - and ask what the cost of litigation will be if someone "blows" one of the signs that is malfunctioning, and then sues the CITY because it wasn't working properly. Won't do it, you say? Ask the city about the cost of litigation over malfunctioning low water crossing devices.
What annual maintenance? With LED and solar tech these should be maintence free for years. After all I'm sure the cost is less than the high value you put on your life. If it even stops one person from running the stop sign isn't it worth it? Of course you do live in new braunfels so I don't see how a city of San Antonio project is any of your concern.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
What annual maintenance? With LED and solar tech these should be maintence free for years. After all I'm sure the cost is less than the high value you put on your life. If it even stops one person from running the stop sign isn't it worth it? Of course you do live in new braunfels so I don't see how a city of San Antonio project is any of your concern.
Sorry this was not my intent...

I just thought that it was a good idea & I wanted
to share .

Old 07-22-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Interesting....so, you now find it in your purview to dictate who can have an opinion? Well, my friend - let me fill you in on a couple of things, because you obviously don't know quite as much as you seem to think. Look up at all those neat TXDOT signs all over the city - you know, the ones with the LED's? You can tell which ones they are - seems like several of 'em have burned out LED's at any given time. And as for "solar tech", you might want to do some research as to how long they REALLY last.

Bear in mind that municipalities buy based on low bid within given specifications......having been involved in the bidding process for many years, I can tell you that ANY governmental agency seldom gets what they think they're getting. I've seen the tightest specs get some of the shoddiest material, simply because the bidder knew how to work the system and get their garbage accepted.

"If it saves one life....." Please!!!!! I'm SO tired of that mantra - because if THAT is the REAL criteria, then "the government" should provide chauffer services for ALL citizens so that we don't have to face the dangers of others on the open road. At some point you have to consider "cost/benefit" - or you'll bankrupt a city (ie, Detroit) with all the "public good" expenditures. As a citizen whose family history can be traced back to the City of San Antonio into the mid-1800's, I would say that I have the right to speak my mind, if for no other reason than to try to present reasoned thought.

There's a price to be paid for all the "technology" we all seem to be so in love with. If a traffic sign is obstructed by trees, there's a ordinance that requires the landowner to trim it so that the sign is clearly visible - THAT is a solution, one that is easily enforced, and doesn't add to CITY expense. Because I promise you - once you start putting those signs up, they're going to find "reasons" to put them up everywhere........and, I might note that you haven't even bothered to answer my question - What do they COST???

Old 07-22-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post
Sorry this was not my intent...
I just thought that it was a good idea & I wanted
to share .
Please understand......I'm just trying to get folks to stop and think about what things COST. Because the initial installation is one thing - long-term operational costs quite another.

Remember all the LED lights the city was installing to replace those incadescent traffic lights? Notice how it's been curtailed, and in some cases, reveresed? It's because they found out that the high ambient temperatures here in South Texas kills LED's faster'n "anyone thought they would" (other than those who'd studied LED lighting). So....all the conversion costs to go to LED's is now gonna be "eaten"......by the taxpayers, who will pay to RE-convert back to the incadescent lamps.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:16 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,762 times
Redneck, you're concerned about the cost, not me. Find out yourself. Again what concern is a San Antonio funded project to you? Why do you care how my tax dollars are spent? As far as I'm concerned you abandoned the city, I don't care how far back your family line goes. I didn't realize that San Antonio has a House of Lords.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:45 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,348,331 times
^WTF

You used chime in on San Antonio issues from Plano...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio