Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 10:08 AM

570 posts, read 1,287,554 times

Advertisements

We're wanting to do something about the heat coming in the house and are thinking about maybe adding Radiant Barrier or something similar in the attic. We would like to add Ridge Vents but the roofing company said they are out of the question because of the design of our roof.
I've also heard about putting something similar to radiant barrier on the inside of the garage door.

If anyone has had recent experience doing this sort of thing I would really appreciate opinions and possibly some recommendations of what company to use to do the job. I don't mean just for the garage doors, but the attic as well.
TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 10:45 AM

447 posts, read 1,045,278 times
I know a guy that does radiant barrier for under $4 a foot. I'll PM you his details tonight.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:46 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,946,996 times
Radiant barriers are worth their weight in gold. There are different types. One is a foil faced decking material. On existing houses that would mean tearing the roof down to the rafters and replacing the roof decking. Then there is the spray on type. It sprays on like a paint. It requires some knowledge of the material as it can be put on too thick and it destroys the value of it. A proper job will have the attic white but you can still see the wood grain thru it. I've been in attics where the outside temp was over 100F yet the attic temp was just in the 90's, it makes that much of a difference. It's like owning a home that is completely under trees. Adding more vents buys you nothing as the heat source, radiant heat, isn't being stopped. If you were to laser temp probe the insulation, it remains hot even with power vents installed. Put a radiant barrier in and insulation temps fall dramatically, as much as 40F which eliminates conductive heat. In this area, radiant barriers should be a requirement, not an option. It might surprise you to know it also helps with winter heating too. It works by reflecting the heat back into the home. Look at it as an item that reflects heat regardless of where it comes from. I'd suggest researching the spray on materials as they are not all the same. Some are better than others but any at all is great. I won't suggest an installer but I'd avoid the ones that advertise they will spray it on and include an insulation upgrade free. Nothing in the building trades is free. All they're doing is draining your wallet. Check with insulation companies around town and get several prices. Obviously, depending on the size of the attic, an average house will run somewhere just under a grand for spray.
Depending on the garage doors, there are doors that have insulation panels available. They are made specifically for that size and brand door. Might check with Overhead Door Company and ask them about it.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:52 AM

243 posts, read 334,016 times
LastStraw, I found a garage door insulation kit by Owens Corning at Home Deport which was very easy to put up on the inside of the door. It made a big difference in the garage temp during the day.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:22 PM

144 posts, read 360,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Radiant barriers are worth their weight in gold...
Trapper, is this the same as the "spray-on foam" method that you sometimes see advertised? This is sprayed/applied directly to the underside of the roof decking, correct? Our house is older and I can see the roofing nails in some spots coming through the decking... I'm assuming that in the future when we re-roof, this underside would need to be touched up?

Thanks!

Old 08-13-2013, 01:36 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,946,996 times
Quote:
Trapper, is this the same as the "spray-on foam" method that you sometimes see advertised?
No, the radiant barrier is a ceramic crystal paint and looks like paint that's been put on too thin. That's the correct way for it to look.

BigTexan99, kindly PM me yer buds info as well. I can always use good subs especially for the existing home market.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:41 PM

Thanks....I appreciate all the information.
"bigtexan99" .... I look forward to receiving the PM with the name of the person that does it.

Several days ago, I saw some installers parked at a house in my neighborhood and it looked like they were putting in insulation, so I stopped and asked them. .. The guy said yes,.. so I asked for his business card and told him we were interested in doing something like that too.
He said they were installing both Radiant Barrier and Blow-in Insulation in that particular house they were working on.
I told him I was more interested in the Radiant Barrier, since our house already has insulation. He told me they staple the Radiant Barrier in and he showed me a small 4" x 5" sample. I was surprised because it was very thin and flimsy,.. almost like a piece of paper. Not what I expected at all.
His business card has the website on it and explains the installation methods are either "Lay-Over" or "Staple-Up". The Staple-up installation is perfect for those who have the HVAC unit and duct work in the attic. It is stapled-up against the roof rafters. Since we have our HVAC unit and duct work in the attic, I guess Staple-up would be the option for us.
It was also on the website that I saw about the Garage door being done too.
I don't know if I am allowed to mention the name of that business or give their website.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:14 PM

447 posts, read 1,045,278 times
PM's sent.

Radiant barrier is basically just a thin foil. The staple up method creates an air pocket between it and the inside of your roof. The heat then travels up this air pocket and out the ridge vent.

It's literally stapled onto the rafters. If you are agile and have a staple gun, its tedious but easy work in the winter.

The lay over method is not as popular since its just laid over the existing insulation on your attic floor. The heat stays in the attic and like you said, with the duct work there its just more heat for the ductwork.

Stapled to the rafters and with a ridge vent installed is the way to go. Some say that this new radiant hot air pocket 'cooks' your shingles as they get hotter than before. I don't have any hard data on that.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:53 PM

500 posts, read 970,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtexan99 View Post
Some say that this new radiant hot air pocket 'cooks' your shingles as they get hotter than before. I don't have any hard data on that.
It seems to me that there wouldn't be a difference than not having it, provided you are vented the same. I would think the temp in the pocket would be similar than if no pocket at all.

I've got a roof that's 25'+ higher than my attic floor, so this method appeals to me. Anyone out there with this method of Radiant Barrier? Any pro's or con's either way?

Old 08-13-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtexan99 View Post
PM's sent.
I haven't received a PM from you ???

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio