Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2010, 01:02 PM

8 posts, read 39,740 times

Advertisements

This is for protecting my house against a car crashing into it(we live at the bottom of the street and there & it curves going left). I already called the city about putting a guard rail along inbetween the mail boxes(10-15ft) of mine & my neighbors house. If they can't who can I contact about maybe installing some concrete post or barriers in my yard for protection. Also those giant concrete balls that the Target Stores has outside would me usefull as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 01:25 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,423,879 times
Putting a guard rail out front would KILL your resale value. I live at the end of a cul-de-sac and I went and got two very large boulders from a landscape place out off of 281. Maybe $250-$300 total. The boulders are about 3 feet wide and about 2 feet high. More than enough to stop anything coming your way. Had them placed strategically in the front lawn and they look like part of the landscaping.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:40 PM

321 posts, read 1,069,170 times
I have a neighbor who lives in a cul-de-sac at the bottom of a hill and he got our HOA's approval to install several metal posts in the front, but only if he strategically planted shrubs to hide them. After a year the shrubs grew in and you can't see them anymore. I imagine a potential future buyer might be scared off about maybe having to need them at all even though his professionally landscaped yard looks really nice.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:07 PM

I'm not worried about the resale value as I am about my parents safety. Great ideas, keep them coming!!!

Old 02-26-2010, 06:57 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,423,879 times
Yeah, but if you can take care of resale AND safety at the same time, you should. Both the boulders and poles hidden by landscaping will achieve the same thing as a guard rail and look a lot better.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:44 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
I strongly agree with the natural large rocks (boulders). They look very nice.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:31 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Plus, if you set them in properly, you can use them to deflect the vehicle, rather than try to stop it. Stopping it will be harder than redirecting it, I think. But I gotta ask - how long have they lived there, and how many times have cars hit the house?

Old 02-28-2010, 10:11 AM

487 posts, read 1,117,489 times
Send me a DM if you are interested in boulders. Our old management company put some along our entrance and the residents hate the look. We will be getting rid of them soon. I was going to have them moved to our common areas but maybe we could work something out.
If not, you might want to contact one of the rock quarries directly. I believe you can purchase boulders directly from them and then pay to have them delivered. Our HOA was going to do that but decided on iron bollards for that particular project.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Plus, if you set them in properly, you can use them to deflect the vehicle, rather than try to stop it. Stopping it will be harder than redirecting it, I think. But I gotta ask - how long have they lived there, and how many times have cars hit the house?

It's my parents house so since I was born so 32 years ago. Cars have jumped the curb many times and everytime the mailbox goes with it. So we are always having to re-fix the mailbox. We have come close a few times to cars coming withen a few feet from the house. Once a car went inbetween our house and the neighbors and finally coming to rest halfway through our back yard taking the neighbors ac unit and corner of their house with it along with a corner of our storage shed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio