Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 03:05 PM

454 posts, read 505,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
Moderator cut: website removed

As for the Tezel Rd. project specifically, it was supposed to be done over a year ago, but there was a major utility issue on that project IIRC. If someone is interested in knowing, I can try to find out exactly what happened.
Hrmph. Fine. If you say so.

I'm not 100% convinced. I've lived in many cities and I've never seen road construction like it is here. I still don't get why they rip apart multiple roads in the same neighborhood all at once - and these are all the main thoroughfares. It just isn't logical.

Can you explain why, at the I-37/FLorida/Carolina off-ramp, they've closed one lane on the small access road between those two streets? Florida used to be one-way going west, now it's closed and has been for the better part of the year. Carolina used to be one-way going east, now it's two way and all the traffic is directed there. But to enter the freeway, you have to go via this little access road. If you exit heading North, you have to make a U-turn - not a big deal, but now *all* that traffic (and at 5pm it's a lot)is pushed into one tiny, narrow lane, waiting for all the cross traffic on Carolina. The result is often a back up on the exit ramp or all around the surface streets. I can't fathom why closing that right lane was necessary. Why not make it a right turn only lane and leave the left lane for those entering the highway (and therefore needing to cross Carolina St)?

Well, now that Labor is FINALLY open, I tend to exit Durango and come that way even though it's more lights, just to avoid that mess. But I don't get *why* it's like that.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-26-2008 at 12:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 03:11 PM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
Thanks for those kind remarks. I've been lurking for a long time now, so it's a pleasure to finally be contributing. I'll probably start a "highway questions" thread soon if anybody's interested.

--Brian
I can't wait, buddy! Let's do it!

Oh, question: How come U.S. 281's control city is Johnson City when Lampasas is actually larger? Shouldn't Lampasas be the control coming out of San Antonio? [I would vouch for Wichita Falls, since that's the next major city, but it's more than 300 miles away.]

Old 01-24-2008, 04:43 PM

4,329 posts, read 7,237,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakapu View Post
And how about all developers have to come up with individual names for the new streets in the subdivisions? One sub will have Timber Trace, Timber Creek, Timber wood, TImber Downs Timber timber timber.... and there are tons of subdivisions like this, all some variation on one word.

Makes it a PITA when you're trying to find someone's house, you have to make sure you have the exact name and can't just remember "it was Timber something...." or if you get lost in a subdivision and you're trying to find your way out (after visiting a friend, so it's not a place you're likely to know and the roads are never obvious), not only do all the dang houses look alike all the streets have nearly the same name! You end up going in circles "ok, I think I passed that house before, and I know I saw that street name already. Wait! No, that was Timber Trance not Timber Trace." Arggghhhh
I remember a story here in San Antonio on the news several years ago where a woman returned home on her lunch break to find a crew tearing her perfectly good roof off and shoveling it into the bed of a dump truck that was backed up to her house. It was in a subdivision where all the street names were a variation of the same word. The roofers had the right house number, but the wrong street!

Old 01-25-2008, 08:01 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,776,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena78 View Post
I always thought it said

Texas
Leon Valley
San Antonio

Spur 421 Bandera Rd.

I guess it may be different now because of all the construction going on and temp. signs. I'm sure it will be better when construction is over.

shoot, when construction is 'over', most of us here will be too old to drive....

Old 01-25-2008, 09:57 AM

454 posts, read 505,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I remember a story here in San Antonio on the news several years ago where a woman returned home on her lunch break to find a crew tearing her perfectly good roof off and shoveling it into the bed of a dump truck that was backed up to her house. It was in a subdivision where all the street names were a variation of the same word. The roofers had the right house number, but the wrong street!
LOL! I never heard that story. Doesn't surprise me.
I have a friend who once went to the wrong house - she had been to her friend's house a number of times, but it was late (after 11pm) and dark. She was banging on the door wondering why she didn't answer. FInally the sleepy occupants answered and she realized it was the wrong house. looked identical.

Not as bad as tearing a roof off though!

We ocassionally have a problem because we live on a D-Street. There's another street called D-Road in Olmos Park area. We are decidely NOT Olmos Park....When we were first calling contractors and kitchen designers, a few went to Olmos Park looking for us. Now I know better and give them cross streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio