Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 11:20 AM

208 posts, read 381,559 times

Advertisements

I've tried everything to kill these da.. things but nothing seems to work. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 11:39 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,932,190 times
A 1/4 cup of Dawn in a gallon of water, put it in a garden sprayer and give them a shot. The Dawn instantly dissolves the wax on their wings so they can't fly. The bubbles gets in their lungs and they choke to death. The mix won't hurt the paint or any foliage. It's what the county uses. Any left over mix can be used as a tire cleaner or a spot remover for clothes.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:43 AM

948 posts, read 1,842,732 times
I've been having a problem with them and yellow jackets this summer. I don't remember anything like this before.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:58 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,589,608 times
Yes this seems to be the summer for big bees, big wasps & yellow jackets. I haven't sen very many honey bees though. And no webworms at all. I haven't seen a lot of yellow jacket nests though although they must be living somewhere.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:25 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,850,284 times
Bob I'd give you a hive of honey bees. Red wasps get my full attention. I hate those suckers! No sting hurts worse than their's.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:34 PM

208 posts, read 381,559 times
Thanks for the suggestion but I was hoping there was something that would attract them to a trap. Ive bought numerous traps before but nothing seems to work. Last year I hung a trap about a foot from their nest and didnt catch a one!!

Old 08-19-2013, 02:39 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,880,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Cop View Post
Thanks for the suggestion but I was hoping there was something that would attract them to a trap. Ive bought numerous traps before but nothing seems to work. Last year I hung a trap about a foot from their nest and didnt catch a one!!
If you know where the nest is--and have access to it, use a spray-bomb.

I recently used Spectracide Wasp and Hornet Killer--it has a "27 foot jet spray" that really works.

Wait until right before dark, and spray the nest. I just finished doing about 12-15 nests (not red wasps or yellow jackets, but whatever they have up here that is very similar) about a month ago.

They start dropping in seconds, and they are GONE. Did you try anything like that, and have it not work?

We used the same thing at home in TX on red wasps--same result.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:42 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,411,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
If you know where the nest is--and have access to it, use a spray-bomb.

I recently used Spectracide Wasp and Hornet Killer--it has a "27 foot jet spray" that really works.

Hi Cathy! Long time no see!!

That is the BEST stuff ever. I was doing an open house in Houston about 5 years ago--a cute, but vacant townhome on a golf course. There was an enormous yellow jacket hive hanging from the patio. I sprayed that sucker--coated it completely. I had to do it in stages as I was inside, with my arm and the can through the open patio door (then slamming it shut in between sprays!). Within seconds they were dropping--it was horrifying how many there were. The traffic of yellow jackets flying in back to the hive was halted almost immediately--they would come in and hover for just a moment before taking off. I felt like Leonardo DiCaprio on the bow of the Titanic. Could you imagine walking out there unknowingly and those little ba*tards coming after you? *shudders* I hate 'em!

Old 08-19-2013, 10:03 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,850,284 times
Wal-Mart sells a can of wasp spray (I forget the name) that freezes them. They are actually stiff and stay put in their nest. Cheap too! Good for a gag too. Full nest, that looks alive, strategically placed can wreak havoc. LOL!

Old 08-19-2013, 10:19 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,932,190 times
Texas Cop, don't play with these wasps. While we hardly ever consider them dangerous, a red wasp killed my father in 1968. He got stung on the neck and he choked to death as his throat closed up. He was not allergic to their sting as he was stung the weekend before. It's all in the bodys chemistry at the time of sting that counts. If you don't want to use the Dawn spray, get a professional to take care of them. They may be little but they can be deadly. I would STRONGLY suggest to anybody that has them around the house to get Benadryl and keep it close. You only have 3 minutes to get it in the person or it's too late. I keep it at home and in the truck. You don't have to be allergic to a wasp sting to die from one. Many are killed every year from wasp stings, don't be one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio