Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 06:02 PM

31 posts, read 60,502 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Hi,we are, yet, another family coming to your beautiful city. My hubby and I have 5 kids, 15 years down to2 years. I have been ‘lurking’ for months,reading, looking at Zillow/realtor.com and learning all I can before the move. We are about 30-60 days out from the bigday. Hubby is already working there andflying home every weekend, so he will probably be the house shopper. I just need to narrow things down forhim. He is working nearFredericksburg and Huebner, right by I10.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Ourchoice of area[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] We are living in Northern VA in Staffordin a community called Austin Ridge. Webought a short-sale with good bones (6 bedrooms – 4600 sq ft) and dumped somemoney into it. Our favorite part of ourneighborhood is the summer swim team. House size (and safety) due to the amount of kids we have is the mostimportant thing. Relocation package infois not available yet but based on what we have in equity and a guess on pay, Ithink we will go no higher than 400k. wewould really love to stay on the lower end of 300 (we have funds to do afixer-upper). I have narrowed down ourareas to Helotes and a little south of Boerne. It doesn’t seem like there are many houses inside Boerne (in our range). Trying to stay north of Bandera. Also there are a fewhomes we have really liked (non-cookie cutter) inside the loop, again, nearthat same area. We’re clueless so if youhave any input, it would be greatly appreciated. We are really active so the below info is arequest for recommendations. Our concernregarding Helotes is that I will be driving EVERYWHERE else to ‘shop, shuttlekids to activities, etc.’ For example we hit Costco, weekly, and that is really far from Helotes, at least on themap. Based on all of that do you have a recommendation of neighborhoods to stalk. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Church[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] We are currently at a PCA church. We are looking at Bible, OPC or PCA churches(conservative). We are at a tiny church and the only request of my teenager wasone with more than 3-4 teenagers. I havewatched and been blessed by oak hills online but it seems huge. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]HomeschoolStuff[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] Oldest is online with Veritas Press but isthere a teen co-op or something that we can plug into so she can make somefriends? Does Oak Hills have a strong homeschool presence?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Swimteam[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Threeof the five are year round swimmers. They enjoy it and we don’t push them. We’re looking for a good team that balances good coaching with fun. They are already sad the teams are full. Boerne team coach was awesome and will try towork with us. A teammate from our currentteam just left SA Wave but they are full, too. I guess at this point I may need to find a community pool that will letthe girls run drills, laps. Ideas nearour choice area?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Music[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Wehave pianists and violinists. Again,we’re relaxed, just trying to balance their education. We currently have a lady that comes to ourhouse for piano, which is AWESOME! Hoping for the same![/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Farms/CommunitySupported Agriculture (CSA’s)/farmers markets[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] Would one area be preferable over anotherfor getting local produce and eggs? We have a lot of nice choices here and I am hoping it’s even better downthere![/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Medical[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] We havean asthmatic and one with food allergies with gastro stuff mixed in. We will be looking for a PediatricGastroenterologist and a Ped. Allergist. Also would love a recommendation for a dentist. The other normal doctor stuff we’ll have towait and see what insurance dictates. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] Sorry, I think I just started on my firstnovel in this post. I probably gave toomuch info but I feel like I’m tapping into friends that are already downthere. Any advice is greatlyappreciated! [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]USNAx2[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 10:08 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
IMO you need to explain more about why you settled on Helotes and Boerne. To me, they both would create a lot of driving to get to resources in SA. If your main goal is to live near Costco, there's also a location at 281 and 1604. If you could settle for Sam's Club, that would open up more options.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:04 AM

Thanks Bo. We settled on those areas due to proximity to job, UTSA, shopping, and all the posts we've read. Isn't there a Costco right by 10?

Old 09-23-2013, 08:19 AM

74 posts, read 175,187 times
We live in Helotes and LOVE the area. Close to a lot, easy access to the rest. We have family in Boerne and they LOVE it there. A little further out, but still a very easy commute. Both have a little town feel. Oak Hills is huge, but love the pastor.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:23 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usnax2 View Post
Isn't there a Costco right by 10?
Yes, the Costco you're thinking of is at I-10 and UTSA Boulevard.

Since you want to be close to UTSA's 1604 campus (there's also a downtown campus), those options make sense. I'll let the folks who live there comment on proximity to shopping.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:14 PM

I just ran into someone up here that just relocated from SA. She said she had the same idea as me but ended up in the Shavano area. She said it's beautiful there, trees, close to everything. Sounds like I'm just going to have to wait and see what's available when we go down to buy. Thanks!

Old 09-23-2013, 08:53 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usnax2 View Post
I just ran into someone up here that just relocated from SA. She said she had the same idea as me but ended up in the Shavano area. She said it's beautiful there, trees, close to everything. Sounds like I'm just going to have to wait and see what's available when we go down to buy. Thanks!
Within the Shavano Park (and just outside) you will be able to be near all the good stuff you'd like to and I feel as though your price range will get you what you are looking for. I can't speak for the homeschooling in the area but I feel as though with the right connections you should be able to find your niche.

My suggestion for swing was SA Wave so I guess that's out. Look into YOSA for your musicians. I just checked to see and the auditions were this summer so not for this year, much like SA Wave.

There are lots of churches in that area, all full of teenagers. You should be okay.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:09 PM

201 posts, read 382,810 times
You may want to check out FEAST - Family Educators Alliance of South Texas. It is a large coop of homeschoolers. They have sports teams that compete against private schools in San Antonio at all level from elementary through high school. They operate out of the former location of San Antonio Christian Schools. It is in a somewhat industrial area - off Blanco Rd. inside 410. Since it is a former school, they have a gym and classrooms. I think they may even have science labs that can be used by the members. Don't know the details - maybe someone else can post.

Family Educators Alliance of South Texas (FEAST)

Old 09-23-2013, 11:22 PM

592 posts, read 2,024,828 times
We live in helotes and love it. I have Pedi MD. PM me if you need info.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:13 PM

Thank you! I'm taking notes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio