Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 01:09 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,971,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Hahaha doesn't Charles butt live in king William? I would think he would know what's best for his neighborhood.
This is about what is best for the city, not just a neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 02:32 PM

349 posts, read 422,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staunchcharacter View Post
Truly heartwarming that so many are weighing in, most of whom don't live in the area and won't be affected by any decision HEB or the city makes.

Easy to be a cavalier when it's not your street they want to close

As for profit, I never said HEB shouldn't make money. You're attempting, quite sloppily, to twist my words. What I said was that HEB has had a near-monopoly in this city, has made obscene amounts of money from SA and that I won't cry if this new location isn't profitable for the first few years.

Frankly, I'd love to see Whole Foods, TJs or even a Walmart Market concept swoop in right now and beat HEB to the punch. Unlikely to happen, I know...

They dont want to close the entire street.

Just a block.

From what I recall of the area the closest housing is south of Guenther which I think is about 3 blocks south of Arsenal more or less.

This would cost the residents what? 2 minutes out of their drive time. if that.

I really dont see the problem other than I hate HEB.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:41 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,971,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dastexan View Post
They dont want to close the entire street.

Just a block.

From what I recall of the area the closest housing is south of Guenther which I think is about 3 blocks south of Arsenal more or less.

This would cost the residents what? 2 minutes out of their drive time. if that.

I really dont see the problem other than I hate HEB.
Ugh! There are houses directly across the street along Arsenal and South Main from the H.E.B. headquarters. The Arsenal street bridge would also close.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:45 PM

I was thinking along Flores St. Not the 6 or 7 houses there on Arsenal.

Basically its the needs of the 20 outweigh the needs of the thousands.

I just find it funny. People in the area ***** and moan about getting a grocery store for years, and then when one has been proposed, its not good enough.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:58 PM

I actually dont know why I was thinking of South Flores, I read it all wrong.

I'm even less opposed to closing South Main. There isnt really anything in that entire stretch to start with. The greater good for the development of San Antonio's downtown area is to close South Main, use it as a positive in general by developing new walking paths/biking paths.

Inconvinent in getting from Cesar Chavez (another sore subject) to the residences down along South of Arsenal, sure at first.

If you do it right with fixing up South Flores a bit, it will be a minimal impact at most I would think.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:15 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,443,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
This is about what is best for the city, not just a neighborhood.
So an expanded HEB corporate campus with over 1000 new
jobs isn't best for the city? South main doesn't matter a bit to me, but a robust company like HEB does.

Old 10-26-2013, 05:12 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,393,678 times
Default Lucky,

San Antonio is fortunate to have a benefactor like HEB that will invest so
much into the urban area of our city. Go San Antonio!
Always in a stretch of growth are we, economically, it simply does not stagnate here.
Fortunate.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:03 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,126,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dastexan View Post
I was thinking along Flores St. Not the 6 or 7 houses there on Arsenal.

Basically its the needs of the 20 outweigh the needs of the thousands.
As part of a $100 million project, it would be trivial to allocate the money to buy 20 homes and eliminate the opposition. If the opposition really is that limited, HEB should do this and make the street closure a slam dunk move for the council.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:59 AM

135 posts, read 191,668 times
I'm gonna play devils advocate here for a bit, why are people so excited about part time jobs? I have property in kingwilliams and used to live their. I did have two complaints, no gas station or grocery store! I'm happy heb is trying to service the area but honestly economically It will be a disaster! Their is a reason why it's taken so long to get a grocery store

Old 11-24-2013, 03:11 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,045,611 times
Looks like HEB won their fight.
King William board backs H-E-B proposal - San Antonio Express-News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio