Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 12:34 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,385,160 times

Advertisements

I just had someone literally hit my car with their hand and I didn't think they did anything to it, so I didn't stop. After I did stop, I found a fairly large dent on the rear side and if it's anything like my last dent (from a hit and run in a parking lot) it's going to cost nearly $1K to fix

This happened at the intersection of Military and Ellison at around 12:15 PM today and the person was driving a dark grey Toyota Tundra (fairly certain of that) and also appeared to be a San Antonio fireman because he was wearing the dark blue shirt with the insignia on his left chest like the t-shirt they wear. My eyes aren't perfect and this was all from my mirrors, but I'm fairly certain of all of that info. However, if someone saw something just like this, but with a different color/type of vehicle, still feel free to say something..

So anyhow, I believe the cause of this was he didn't appreciate me honking at a person that pulled out right in front of me from the 151 access road onto Military. For some reason people always pull out in front of people that are going through that intersection, even though my light was green so they were supposed to wait. They also did the usual thing of pulling out fast and then going slow, so that's when I gave a honk. I realize not everyone likes that, but it is legal and this person was completely in the wrong.

So the question is why did the person get out his his truck and come up to me. He had nothing to do with anything and I am fairly certain he just didn't like me honking my horn. This seems to happen a lot around here where people take an action on another persons behalf, even though they have no reason to..

So anyhow, I was at the Military/Ellison light waiting for it to turn green when I saw this guy pull up in back of me. I always look at my mirrors when someone is approaching me because I want to be prepared in case they're day dreaming and are going to run into me. Then I noticed the guy get out of his truck and start to walk up to me. The light turned green just as he got to the side of me and I went, but he had enough time to hit the side of my vehicle. I'm guessing he didn't think it would do much, but I have found the steel on my vehicle might as well be made out of paper because it can't handle anything (the hit and run in the parking lot mentioned earlier was from someone bumping it while it was parked).

If anyone happened to see this, please send me a message or reply in this thread. Again, this happened at Ellison and Military at around 12:15 PM today (21 NOV 07). The vehicle was probably a dark grey Toyota Tundra and the driver was probably a San Antonio Firefighter. My vehicle is dark blue and quite dirty. I'd rather not give a full description of it on here for privacy reasons, but it's a 2007 crossover utility vehicle.

Thanks for reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 01:05 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,153,026 times
Sorry to hear about that rd...if this guy is indeed a firefighter, maybe you can check the vehicles at the local fire stations for that area and get a license number for that Toyota Tundra and then go from there.

Here's a map of the fire stations in the city.

http://www.sanantonio.gov/safd/pdf/S..._Locations.pdf

Old 11-21-2007, 01:12 PM

Thanks 940 and that's my ace in the hole. I just happen to know two SAFD guys that live by me and I'm thinking they'll probably know exactly who it is. Question will be whether or not they'll dime the person out.. I know how a brotherhood thing can be, but this person was completely in the wrong when they got out of their car. I've had plenty of times where I wanted to do that, but I stopped myself and just drove off. The other reason I didn't get out to see what happened was I wasn't sure if I'd be able to restrain myself. I overprotect my cars and once went off on a lady that dinged my door in a parking lot while I was sitting in the car..

I honestly don't know what I would've done to the guy when I saw the dent.. I'm far from a little guy and have a pretty short fuse, so it's probably a good thing I didn't get out.. Otherwise my next post on here might've been in 10-20 years..

Old 11-21-2007, 01:13 PM

781 posts, read 3,816,045 times
Sorry to hear about that. I can't imagine getting out my car to confront someone....what was this guy thinking?? As a woman that would have frightened me a bit.

Old 11-21-2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez4 View Post
Sorry to hear about that. I can't imagine getting out my car to confront someone....what was this guy thinking?? As a woman that would have frightened me a bit.
ha ha, that reminds me of a funny experience I had. One time I was getting on 1604 from Culebra and some guy got mad at me because he felt I cut him off where the right part of the lane ends right before you get on 1604. The stupid part was I was just driving in the left lane and he was in the right lane, which ends. So technically he should've never been in that lane trying to get around me anyhow.

So anyhow, this fool actually pulled up alongside me when I stopped at a street by my house. I could tell he was following me because he was right on my tail the whole way and waving his arms. I pulled off on a street by my house because I didn't want him to know where I lived and the idiot actually got out of his car and started yelling at me. I explained to him that he was in the wrong in the first place and asked him what exactly he was trying to accomplish.. I reached over and got my cell phone and then mr. brightness gets the brilliant idea of asking me what I was doing and whether I was going to shoot him.. I just laughed and told him he should've thought about that one BEFORE he decided to pull up next to me.. I also pointed out that he was a super skinny and short air force guy and I was at least twice his size and could've easily snapped him in half with my bare hands..

None of this has ever happened to me in any other city I've lived in, but for some reason it happens pretty often around here. I think people just don't think before they act.. it's strange and I'm pretty sure quite a few of the shootings around here happen because of these exact same situations.. Definitely a good idea for you (or anyone) to never get out of the car. We all pay plenty of taxes for police service and should leave it for them..

Old 11-21-2007, 03:03 PM

546 posts, read 3,104,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
So the question is why did the person get out his his truck and come up to me. He had nothing to do with anything and I am fairly certain he just didn't like me honking my horn. This seems to happen a lot around here where people take an action on another persons behalf, even though they have no reason to..
Good question, either he's a complete knucklehead who feels he's invincible, or some poor sheltered soul unaware of the violent har****ies of modern life. Man, I would NEVER get out of my car to confront another driver, no matter what the reason, that's just begging for a potential bullet. I mean, really, I could be bigger and quicker and tougher than the other guy, etc., BUT what does that mean? The other guy could be a mild-mannered Ted Bundy lookin' guy, non-threatening, you know...but perhaps quite insane, carrying many blunt objects and a hand gun or two . ANYONE who actually makes the effort to get out their car to tap or hit another car, or to invade another drivers' personal space, for ANY reason (well, other than a hit-and-run or something drastic I suppose), has a screw loose. What a weirdo! This happens a lot over there? Man, this post really aggravates me, I just think of how frightened my fiance (or any woman really) would be in a situation like that, some weird scary man coming at them like that,
I really hope he doesn't scare women with that shtick (of course, my gal would panic and either mace him thoroughly, or just gun it and probably run him over in fear of her life!).

Old 11-21-2007, 03:51 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,023,449 times
Good luck, rd. I hope you find the guy, if for nothing else than to tell him what an idiot he is. Pretty stupid guy if you ask me. But he definitely needs to be held accountable for the damage.

Glad you're OK, at least. That could have definitely escalated into something tragic if you were a hothead as well.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:28 PM

Thank you to everyone for the kind words. That's what I like about this little hole in cyberspace..

For some reason I'm really calm now and this has made me think of a lot of things. I think I take things too seriously and should relax more. This definitely could've ended up completely different and luckily it was only a dent. I do regret not calling 911 when I saw him coming at me though. That person should not be on the road and probably shouldn't be out in society. It was very stupid of him and that's probably why I was the only car that took off. I think everyone else just kinda stayed there with the what the fudge was that look on their face.. That's why I'm hoping someone that reads this happens to have a seriously good license plate memory, personally knows this person, or knows someone that fits the description.

thanks again

Old 11-21-2007, 05:01 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,983,056 times
Honestly, you should consider filing a police report. This person deliberately did damage to your vehicle and should be held accountable, it may be even considered an assault.

It was a pretty stupid move on his part, especially considering the new Texas laws that allow practically anyone who isn't a convicted felon to carry a concealed weapon in their car! How do you know it isn't someone trying to carjack you? As you may know, this past March Texas put to death Vincent Gutierrez, convicted of carjacking an Air Force captain Jose Cobo and killing him near Lackland AFB in 1997. Many people could've easily interpreted this guy's actions as a potential carjacking, and used lethal force to defend themselves.

I think you are better off letting the authorities handle this. Your confronting him is not the best idea.

Good luck! M2

Old 11-21-2007, 05:14 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,774,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I just had someone literally hit my car with their hand and I didn't think they did anything to it, so I didn't stop. After I did stop, I found a fairly large dent on the rear side and if it's anything like my last dent (from a hit and run in a parking lot) it's going to cost nearly $1K to fix

This happened at the intersection of Military and Ellison at around 12:15 PM today and the person was driving a dark grey Toyota Tundra (fairly certain of that) and also appeared to be a San Antonio fireman because he was wearing the dark blue shirt with the insignia on his left chest like the t-shirt they wear. My eyes aren't perfect and this was all from my mirrors, but I'm fairly certain of all of that info. However, if someone saw something just like this, but with a different color/type of vehicle, still feel free to say something..

So anyhow, I believe the cause of this was he didn't appreciate me honking at a person that pulled out right in front of me from the 151 access road onto Military. For some reason people always pull out in front of people that are going through that intersection, even though my light was green so they were supposed to wait. They also did the usual thing of pulling out fast and then going slow, so that's when I gave a honk. I realize not everyone likes that, but it is legal and this person was completely in the wrong.

So anyhow, I was at the Military/Ellison light waiting for it to turn green when I saw this guy pull up in back of me. I always look at my mirrors when someone is approaching me because I want to be prepared in case they're day dreaming and are going to run into me. Then I noticed the guy get out of his truck and start to walk up to me. The light turned green just as he got to the side of me and I went, but he had enough time to hit the side of my vehicle. I'm guessing he didn't think it would do much, but I have found the steel on my vehicle might as well be made out of paper because it can't handle anything (the hit and run in the parking lot mentioned earlier was from someone bumping it while it was parked).

If anyone happened to see this, please send me a message or reply in this thread. Again, this happened at Ellison and Military at around 12:15 PM today (21 NOV 07). The vehicle was probably a dark grey Toyota Tundra and the driver was probably a San Antonio Firefighter. My vehicle is dark blue and quite dirty. I'd rather not give a full description of it on here for privacy reasons, but it's a 2007 crossover utility vehicle.

Thanks for reading

Were you not able to get his license plate?
If you have first party coverage on your car, you may just have to pay your deductible under comprehensive coverage and have it repaired yourself.

These kinds of scenarios are why I carry little bitty low deductibles for comprehensive and big high ones for collision.... and then if I have damage that is covered under comp, I gather and write down as much information as I possibly can, and I always make a police report.....

and I ALWAYS carry comp and collision, even if the car is paid for and I'm not mandated to carry it..... I buy one of two cars that will basically stay on the road forever, a Toyota or a Honda......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio