Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 08:26 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdatabase View Post
I would much rather proceed cautiously at 40 through a roundabout, than have to go from 65 to a full stop a half a dozen times... especially when there's no traffic.
I'd much rather proceed at 65 while exiting traffic uses the ramps to merge onto the next freeway.

Oh who am I kidding, nobody around here can merge worth a ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Modern roundabouts are nothing like the ones from decades ago. This was posted April, 2013.

FHWA Roundabout educational video - YouTube

First of all, have you never driven the traffic circles at either end of the Washburn Tunnel?

Second, do you see nothing bass-ackwards about the government trying to influence the citizenry? They shouldn't be telling us what they want to do - what with our tax dollars, to boot! They should be asking us what solutions we want enacted.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:47 AM

14 posts, read 24,267 times
CO has a lot fo roundabouts... they really work well in my opinion because except for the heaviest of traffic it keeps flowing. I was in CO to help the red cross with the recent flood disaster and had to commute from my hotel in fort collins to the north district HQ in loveland. the exit in loveland had a round about and despite lots of traffic it took me about 15 seconds to get where i was going...

they also have faster speed limits... 75 mph outside of denver and 65 in the city. I know parts of the 10 are 80+ but i'm talking about rural areas of the freeway.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:52 PM

349 posts, read 422,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phox1515 View Post
CO has a lot fo roundabouts... they really work well in my opinion because except for the heaviest of traffic it keeps flowing. I was in CO to help the red cross with the recent flood disaster and had to commute from my hotel in fort collins to the north district HQ in loveland. the exit in loveland had a round about and despite lots of traffic it took me about 15 seconds to get where i was going...

they also have faster speed limits... 75 mph outside of denver and 65 in the city. I know parts of the 10 are 80+ but i'm talking about rural areas of the freeway.

Almost all of San Antonio highways now except for those in the downtown area are 65 mph for whatever its worth.

The maddening thing regarding speeds (which doesnt really apply to San Antonio) are the 65 mph speed limits in the rural areas of 35 E/W leading up to Dallas and Ft Worth (Johnson and Ellis counties mostly)

Old 12-23-2013, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Hey - slow traffic (and parking lots called intersections) is why I am on a rant about this. (and you would only slow to 40 as you approach the roundabout.) I would much rather proceed cautiously at 40 through a roundabout, than have to go from 65 to a full stop a half a dozen times... especially when there's no traffic.

If 1604 traffic didn't already come to a stop at highway 90, then MAYBE I could agree with you. I don't see the purpose in a high speed loop - with stops. There's a reason 1604 is nicknamed "the death loop".
If the roundabout were used in combination with overpasses / underpasses, then I would most likely support the idea as a way to manage surface-street traffic. But 1604 should be a limited-access freeway from I-10 (on the eastside) around the north side to Hwy 90 on the westside. And flyovers would do a much better job of keeping traffic moving than the current system of stoplights and low-speed cloverleaf ramps.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:00 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,877,109 times
Quote:
Well that sounds like evolution working perfectly

Will do on the Alameda Circle. Thanks.
Another traffic circle I forgot about is on Fulton and Blanco.

Not even google maps shows it in the regular map mode yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio