Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 04:17 PM

447 posts, read 1,044,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzy596 View Post
I couldn't just activate or terminate services in some random residence in San Antonio I don't own or rent.

I also couldn't pay the mortgage of some random house that doesn't belong to me (I could give money to
the people that own it to help them pay), but I wouldn't be allowed to pay it for them.

Once my lease ended---my lease of that meter also ended. I was no longer authorized to have 'active service' there whether I terminated it or not right?

'
Your logic is flawed in the above quotes section. When I turn on power to an address, I call them and tell them the address. That's it. I don't have to prove ownership or show a lease. CPS runs your SSN, and if you are credit worthy thats the end of it, if you are not, they take a credit card for a deposit. Until you call them and close the account, you are liable.

Yes, you could pay the mortgage of someone else, if you know the name and account number. Wells Fargo gets a check from you, with a note that says for payment of account xxxx and they process it. They could care less who sends them the money.

You are making up terms like "active service" and "authorized" to try and support your viewpoint, but they are not cogent to the discussion. The meter is yours until you call to cancel it.

Last edited by bigtexan99; 02-07-2014 at 04:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 05:46 PM

7 posts, read 7,811 times
No.

Actually I'm using their terms.

When you call they ask you: Are you authorized to activate service?

If you say "yes" the power is switched to your name (from the apartment complex), if you say "no" they don't.

Now, it is true that they don't do any rigorous check to find out whether you are indeed authorized. They take your word for it. Nevertheless it is still true that it would be ILLEGAL for me to randomly activate the meter of an apartment I wasn't leasing because I wouldn't have the authority to do that. (I asked them that).

If I bought a stolen car and the thief 'sold me a lemon'....I couldn't then go through the legal system to get reimbursed for my illegal purchase...even if I'd had a contract with the thief guaranteeing the reliability of the car.

That contract wouldn't be legal because it was illegal for me to 'contract' with him in the first place.

So for the months of Jan and Feb, ever since my lease expired, I've essentially been in an 'illegal' contract with CPS.

So how is it 'legal' for me to pay for something that's technically 'illegal' for me to have?

That's my question.

And there very well may be some sort of latin phrase that would answer that question and tell me why it's still legal...I just don't know it...and that's why I was asking...

Anyway, I think this concept will remain a lost cause here...citydata was just the wrong place to ask a question like that

Have a good weekend guys

Old 02-07-2014, 05:47 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Usually when you call CPS to start service at your new apartment, they ask what day you want the power off at your old place.

At least it's only $50...that's not terrible for a life lesson, since you'll never forget to do this again.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:58 PM

447 posts, read 1,044,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzy596 View Post
So for the months of Jan and Feb, ever since my lease expired, I've essentially been in an 'illegal' contract with CPS.
Another made up phrase to try and support your viewpoint.

In reading the other responses, I don't get why you are so affronted with them. They don't seem unusually harsh. Rather, it seems like since they don't provide you any agreement with your desired point of view, you got all huffy.

The whole scenario you described is pretty cut and dried.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Usually when you call CPS to start service at your new apartment, they ask what day you want the power off at your old place.

At least it's only $50...that's not terrible for a life lesson, since you'll never forget to do this again.

Yeah, that makes sense. Since, I moved into a guest house one someone's property I now pay CPS indirectly through my landlord and didn't have to activate it this time...had I moved into another apartment I'm sure I would've avoided this.

I don't know why I didn't just ask my leasing office at some point before I moved

Old 02-07-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtexan99 View Post
Another made up phrase to try and support your viewpoint.

In reading the other responses, I don't get why you are so affronted with them. They don't seem unusually harsh. Rather, it seems like since they don't provide you any agreement with your desired point of view, you got all huffy.

The whole scenario you described is pretty cut and dried.
Another non-responsive answer. So why offer it? I've said this is essentially just a logic problem and all I wanted was for someone to find a flaw with the premise I gave...

It really has nothing to do with a desire or hope to actually get out of paying this bill. It is just genuine curiosity for what the counter-argument to the point I offered would be.

You say my phrase is made-up...but it's not. It may indeed be wrong...but it's certainly not made-up.

I "showed my mental work" (i.e. how I arrived at the phrase 'illegal contract')...but your not 'showing me' how you're arriving at the assertion that it's 'made-up'.

I'm not affronted, I'm merely confused and disappointed that someone would consider this a 'cogent argument'.

"You're still responsible for the bill and that's it !!!!"

Answering that "the meter's are owned by CPS" was the most in the ballpark of countering my point with something valid...I don't think it completely counter's it though.

Anyway, this concept is clearly being lost here...and that's cool

Take Care

Old 02-07-2014, 07:54 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,013,217 times
Essentially what you are asking is whether or not you would be held liable for the amount of energy consumed by either a vacant apartment or someone else who had failed to start their services. I believe it to be that the apartment still stands empty so essentially someone moving In would not assume that the services never got disconnected because if I remember correctly.. CPS never usually "disconnects" service to an apartment because they turn them around too fast. I could be wrong... but to answer your question..

what you are asking is a legal question and I believe that most of us would refrain from answering that as we are not practicing lawyers. Your logic seems to make sense but I am pretty sure that in a court of law you will be held responsible for some or all of the bill. If you were to go to a court you would probably see a judge and be at his mercy. Depending on how he perceives the case would be your result. It could go many ways. I don't see a clear cut answer to this. Your logic does seem logical.. but not practical. I believe that in the end CPS would prevail and you would wind up paying for the service you never received.. one of those life lessons learned.

Sorry I cant give you a clearer answer but I have looked some of this up and never found anything on it. Hope everything goes well for you.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:36 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
You are responsible for the usage from the time you notify them to turn it on until you tell them to terminate it. There's no anger - it's just a statement of fact. I'm sorry, but it's you that seems to be trying to somehow say it wasn't your fault. CPS doesn't know when your lease ends, nor when you move - unless you tell 'em. And, yes - you got VERY lucky. My lesson cost me almost a YEAR of electrical service many moons ago.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:22 AM

314 posts, read 832,565 times
That sucks, I understand your logic but I doubt CPS will be sympathetic.

Dave Ramsey refers to this as the stupid tax...you do something stupid, you pay for it, you learn and you never repeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio