Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 07:40 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,566,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
You don't live in AHISD to send your kid to a SAISD school. The only appropriate schools besides AH
Ones would be St. Mary's Hall, Acorn or the Academy.
Except, many do. Bonham has quite a few kids from AHISD and NEISD. Fact.

I even know people who moved *from* AH to KW to make attending Bonham easier. It's actually getting very hard to get in from out of zone, thanks to more and more families with young kids moving into the zone, so fewer AH kids are getting in to Bonham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 07:47 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,448,439 times
99.5% of AHISD families would probably go into laughing hysterics if you suggested their children attend a non AHISD school. Most AHISD families are now in to their fourth generation of attendance.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
99.5% of AHISD families would probably go into laughing hysterics if you suggested their children attend a non AHISD school. Most AHISD families are now in to their fourth generation of attendance.
Except, they do. You can choose to believe it, or not, but I assure you it's true.

Bonham Academy has a spanish immersion program which is a big draw. It's a different type of program than AH has. Some prefer it.

But yes, King William does have it's very own school and residents even go there. They even move to KW so they are guaranteed admittance.

The district is a hot mess, but despite that, there are some schools which stand out. Bonham is among them.

Here are some articles about Bonham:

Bonham Academy: A Parent-Driven Success Story - The Rivard Report
(tho I'd argue it's not so much parent-driven as team driven)

http://therivardreport.com/lets-frie...r-city-school/
this article has a link to the one square mile segment which featured the school

Old 02-26-2014, 10:32 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,795,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unintentionallyfunny View Post
Is Staunch this Benjamin character others are calling him? If so, why is he posting under this new name?
Are you one of his stalkers? Ask him in a DM if you really care that much.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:04 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,414,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Except, they do. You can choose to believe it, or not, but I assure you it's true.

Bonham Academy has a spanish immersion program which is a big draw. It's a different type of program than AH has. Some prefer it.

But yes, King William does have it's very own school and residents even go there. They even move to KW so they are guaranteed admittance.

The district is a hot mess, but despite that, there are some schools which stand out. Bonham is among them.

Here are some articles about Bonham:

Bonham Academy: A Parent-Driven Success Story - The Rivard Report
(tho I'd argue it's not so much parent-driven as team driven)

Let
this article has a link to the one square mile segment which featured the school
But after Bonham, what, SAISD?

Old 02-27-2014, 08:13 AM

841 posts, read 1,749,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
But after Bonham, what, SAISD?
Depends. If you have a girl, she can go to the Young Women's Leadership Academy which is garnering great reviews. For boys... you have a great point. One which many of us with boys in elementary school but live in SAISD wonder about.

Oh, and yes, I know of one family that sold their $3/4 million home in Alamo Heights to move to KW just because of the school. I also know a family that moved from California to Olmos Park (because of the reputation)... and then sent their kid to SAISD as well.

It may be rare... but it does happen.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
Depends. If you have a girl, she can go to the Young Women's Leadership Academy which is garnering great reviews. For boys... you have a great point. One which many of us with boys in elementary school but live in SAISD wonder about.

Oh, and yes, I know of one family that sold their $3/4 million home in Alamo Heights to move to KW just because of the school. I also know a family that moved from California to Olmos Park (because of the reputation)... and then sent their kid to SAISD as well.

It may be rare... but it does happen.
Bonham is K-8, as is Hawthorne.

There's a big push to up the status of Brackenridge. It's doing much better than people assume, but it needs some committed support, which it's finally getting.

Ideally, all SAISD schools will improve, unfortunately a certain Board member seems bent on making them not...

Old 02-27-2014, 10:44 AM

330 posts, read 588,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Bonham is K-8, as is Hawthorne.

There's a big push to up the status of Brackenridge. It's doing much better than people assume, but it needs some committed support, which it's finally getting.

Ideally, all SAISD schools will improve, unfortunately a certain Board member seems bent on making them not...
Austin is also K-8. I know a family at Austin that is a transfer from AH, just to reiterate that it does happen. The specific programs at the academy format SAISD schools are a draw. Austin, Hawthorne, and Bonham (among others) are really good choices.

For HS, Fox Tech's health and law magnet is promising. Travis Early College is an excellent HS. Young Women's Leadership Academy too.

Hey Chaka, will you DM me about the board stuff? This is something I'm also trying to navigate.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:42 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,023,779 times
They're trying to preserve the character of their community and keep their town from being overrun with hipsters. What's wrong with that? Bravo to them.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:48 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,023,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoerneMan View Post
I'll reiterate what I have said previously about the decision from Alamo Heights - the lower Broadway area around the Pearl will end up as a much more vibrant and economically diverse location over the next 10 years while the core of Alamo Heights continues to decline.

The NIMBY crowd is out of control. I can't believe such a well-designed project has been denied, but maybe it shouldn't surprise me at this point.
Economically diverse? Are you sure about that? I predict that the hipsters will eventually evict all of those homes/apartments that are south of Funston and make it the refuge of high income earners exclusively. They'll name it something cute like "SoFun".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio