Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 09:36 AM

336 posts, read 485,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny82 View Post
I don't need to travel all the way downtown to see a movie.......I did not know that you could paddle boat on the river, will have to check that out. My kids have been to Children's museum a couple times and were not impressed......looking forward to the new huge one and hoping for better exhibits. I have a farmer's market and library close to home that have activities which saves me on paying for parking downtown and speaking of which, I find the markets/vendors overpriced most of the time too - I get that it's not grocery store pricing, but I find it hard to justify paying sometimes 3 times HEB price on a below average San Antonio income. I do frequent the arts(dance, musicals, symphony) and can appreciate the many venues available for that - excited to see the new Tobin center. Most of the events in downtown involve food and music.......sorry, I lived in Houston for a spell and I guess I was spoiled on the vast culture mix and available activities.....plus the beach was nearby.

You're acting as if Houston is some bastion of great artistic merit. Without mounds of oil money in that city, it would still be a cultural tumbleweed of laughable proportions. The only thing I find serviceable, artistically, about Houston is the new TUTS and the always-reliable Alley Theatre.

As for Downtown SA, you were provided with a ton of useful info and instead of just nodding and moving along, you came back to (badly) defend your stance of disliking it. Parking is plentiful downtown... And cheap, if you would simply do some research. You complain about the prices of farmer's markets, but seemingly have no clue on how much work/cost it takes to get that food from farm-to-table. They're not competing with HEB and shouldn't have to. It's a luxury item that you can either afford or not afford.

Ultimately, it's clear that nothing will satisfy you or perhaps that you miss dear Houston so much that no other city can ever compare. The city that got away, no? Like many here who live in the burbs and wax poetic about areas they've never lived, you have all of these incorrectly formed, preconceived notions of what Downtown/Southtown is now, all without really knowing what's going on and how much has changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 10:57 AM

905 posts, read 1,638,890 times
Quote:
I don't need to travel all the way downtown to see a movie.......I did not know that you could paddle boat on the river, will have to check that out. My kids have been to Children's museum a couple times and were not impressed......looking forward to the new huge one and hoping for better exhibits. I have a farmer's market and library close to home that have activities which saves me on paying for parking downtown and speaking of which, I find the markets/vendors overpriced most of the time too - I get that it's not grocery store pricing, but I find it hard to justify paying sometimes 3 times HEB price on a below average San Antonio income. I do frequent the arts(dance, musicals, symphony) and can appreciate the many venues available for that - excited to see the new Tobin center. Most of the events in downtown involve food and music.......sorry, I lived in Houston for a spell and I guess I was spoiled on the vast culture mix and available activities.....plus the beach was nearby.

There is absolutely no comparison Houston to San Antonio, especially downtown.
The point is there is so much to do in this city.
Did you know that there is a segway tour of downtown? Try the " City Lights Ghost" evening tour. I was born and raised in San Antonio and trust me when I say this is an impressive tour!
San Antonio Segway Tours by Segway Nation

San Antonio, The Saga is another show that is just mind blowing of how well it was put together. It takes place on main plaza ON the fasad of San Fernando Cathedral. It's a must see for everyone.
Main Plaza

How about kayaking San Antonio River through some of the backsides of the Missions. (I havent done this yet although it's going to happen before August)
San Antonio Mission Kayak - Mission Kayak - Kayak the San Antonio River, Paddle, Tour, Paddle

Old 07-11-2014, 11:02 AM

11,495 posts, read 27,003,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntonio78209 View Post
Stop focusing on tourism. I don't want to feel like a tourist when I'm downtown. This is why I go to Austin very frequently, not only is their downtown welcoming/inviting, the areas surrounding downtown are also fun to visit. They are doing things right, they have strong focus on their locals and always have. Oh yeah, they've added about 5-6, 40+ floor skyscrapers since 2008 and that has brought plenty of living opportunity to downtown Austin. Austin never needed anything more, but they keep adding and it's only getting better. San Antonio is wayyy to conservative and their idea of development is building cookie cutter houses and businesses out towards loop 1604, yeah, that's not my thing. Take time to think about this...in San Antonio, you have a large area of cookie cutter houses, an HEB and a Walmart. Hop over about 10 miles there it is again, neighborhood, HEB, Walmart. It's a vicious cycle in this town. That's why I like living in the Alamo Heights area, a good part of the Broadway corridor has that urban feel and you won't find any cookie cutter houses around here. But there's only so much to see in this small area.

I know we'll never have that awesome quirky feel of Austin, but we're not Austin.

If this city ever changes, I'll consider staying. If I don't see any progress in the next 5 years, I'm leaving. Austin, here I come.
We must be visiting different parts of Austin. When I go to Austin, it seems like every 5 miles there is another cluster of apartment complexes and a big shopping center with the same stores as the one 5 miles in either direction. The only thing interesting about Austin is the novelty of being in a different city. And maybe Stubbs BBQ.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:30 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,982,762 times
Quote:
Why go anywhere for a movie? Why not just stay at home and watch a movie? You said downtown has very little for families, and that is obviously not the case. What does downtown Houston offer families that downtown San Antonio doesn't? Every time I have been to Houston, the downtown area is a ghost town after 5 pm.

It also seems like you have spent too much time in Houston to understand downtown San Antonio real estate. I recommend you cruise Lavaca, Tobin Hill, Alta Vista, Mahncke Park, and Baja King William to see what these dilapidated neighborhoods look like today. You won't get your foot into many of these neighborhoods if you don't have 250k-300k. Times are changing. Jump on board!

Old 07-13-2014, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,018 times
I love all the replies on this thread. Had to create an account just to reply. I myself have lived in San Antonio, Austin and now Dallas. Every one of those cities are completely unique and different with regard to culture, environment, architecture, vibe, social classes, economics etc... I really could not sit here and compare each city to one another. Remember, there was a set of conditions that has made each city what it has become today. In the eyes of the people that live in these cities and tourist it can be seen as good or bad or maybe indifferent.

From my perspective San Antonio has its own unique vibe. For me I view the city as easygoing and there is lack of urgency... slow paced. I still do love San Antonio because in many ways it holds onto much of its cultural past. The King Williams area is gorgeous. The architectural appeal these old houses have is like candy to the eye. You just don't see that anymore. The project they are doing along the river to make it more accessible is phenomenal. I absolutely love it. Walked a few times on the river close to the King Williams area and it's absolutely beautiful.

Though to the original poster, I see your perspective. I know there are many that would love to see this city as sprawling like Houston, Dallas or Austin. Suffice to say, that probably will never be the outlook. This city has an exceptionally conservative mindset. I never have followed city council or organizations that determine future city planning but it's evident in the overall look of the city... it hasn't really changed all that much in the last 10 years. But San Antonio is progressing in so many ways. I only hope it continues to progress. Look at Broadway near downtown. Developers tore down some of the cruddy buildings and have built some beautiful apartments... much like the apts that you'd find in Dallas, Houston or Austin. Posh type living. Pearl area is still up and coming, that is a major milestone for a city like San Antonio. It may not see like it, but really it is. Myself, I grew up in a small town south of San Antonio but always traveled to the Southside with my mom growing up.. more so the area around Military and Goliad. Wow... can you say change! I know it doesn't seem like much. I'm 28 now and I can tell you, that area has progressed and I feel for the better. San Antonio is a tourist hub. People come to see the Riverwalk, Alamo and meet for their conventions.

I have to admit, there is plenty more the city can do downtown. There are several abandoned buildings and sit eagerly ready for renovation. Rivercenter Mall needs a new makeover! It's a little past it's prime. People have talked about high end Hotels.. YES YES.. please the city downtown could benefit. Ritz-Carlton would be perfect! You mentioned skyscrapers. Beautiful huh (sometimes) ha! That's just not San Antonio. It really boils down to economics. Somebody already mentioned about business campuses... USAA for example. The city doesn't have the economics to build one downtown. Could you imagine getting that approved lol. Talk about push back.

Dallas, Houston and Austin are listed in the list of top 50 fashion capitals of the world, San Antonio isn't even on that list. Fashion speaks $$$$$$$$$.

I said I wouldn't compare but only here for a purpose: "This information is from City-Data.com"

San Antonio economics is known for services, manufacturing, and government.
Dallas: Major industries include defense, financial services, information technology and data, life sciences, semiconductors, telecommunications, transportation, and processing.

The purpose and what I hope to get across to the original poster is look at the difference in economics. I truly understand your concerns, your hopes, your desires to build a better city in every way which includes an aesthetic appeal. That change is coming to your city, slowly. Please don't expect it to be the pace of other cities in Texas. The economics and people just isn't there. People drive high end Mercedes, Maserati's, Porches, Bentley's, BMW a dime a dozen in Dallas. Same goes for Houston. Even if there were those industries coming to San Antonio I highly doubt the city or it's people would ever approve for large skyscrapers to be build in the downtown area. Plus it's just not necessarily the thing large companies want to do anymore. It's financially extremely $$$$$$$. Another factor you have to consider that I mentioned is people. You need people especially younger people. I feel that the youth tend to leave San Antonio for other cities like Austin, Dallas, or Houston because the opportunity for their life and career is there. They seem to be "happening" cities. Additionally San Antonio tends to be a hub for retirees... military or not. Hence, that's just a little of aspects as to why San Antonio is not like Austin, Dallas or Houston.

For myself I moved to Dallas because it was my vibe and I fit the culture (NO I'm not pretentious hahaha). I just seem to fit the faster pace of life here and enjoy the people, the venues and opportunity the city has to offer. I feel there is a younger more energetic vibe amongst the people here. It tends to be a very fit city which I myself am very active in. It's all based on personal preference.

Give San Antonio a chance, it's not a perfect city but there are far worse cities out there. If it fits your pace and lifestyle enjoy it, live it up. If not, make the best of it or hopefully there is another city or town that would fit you better. Dallas fit me

-Cheers

P.S. You mentioned that San Antonio is building cookie cutter houses. I'm sorry, but masses of people just don't have money to spend on building a house you'd find in the King Williams or Alamo Heights area. Cookie cutter is affordable and sometimes even that isn't affordable for some. It is what is it. You're going to find that everywhere in any city in Texas. I use Dallas as a reference because I live here, but if you look outside of Dallas... same thing. Cookie cutter if you wish to call them that. Also, if you expect a large change in the next 5 years .... you probably should move to Austin as you did several comparisons. Maybe think about becoming more active in city planning through an organization of such. The only way you will enact change is through action my friend.

Last edited by thesilentone; 07-13-2014 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: Mention something else :)

Old 07-13-2014, 08:18 PM

838 posts, read 1,216,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unintentionallyfunny View Post
That list is about as accurate as someone playing darts in a hurricane. El Paso, Colorado Springs, DFW, SA, etc all before Nashville? Nashville not number one?

I suspect the methodology was very liberal in how they decided their list. Most viewers of CMT, or number of cowboy hats sold per capita, or some such nonsense.
Have you ever been to Nashville? It's not nearly as 'country' as you would think. Of course, Texas is full of wanna be cowboys so maybe your idea of what makes a cowboy is skewed.

When I think of cowboys, I think of places like Montana or Wyoming. Not Texas or Nashville.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:29 PM

340 posts, read 648,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
We must be visiting different parts of Austin. When I go to Austin, it seems like every 5 miles there is another cluster of apartment complexes and a big shopping center with the same stores as the one 5 miles in either direction. The only thing interesting about Austin is the novelty of being in a different city. And maybe Stubbs BBQ.
You are absolutely right. I commute to Austin daily, listening/reading their news and their issues. People are being priced-out of living in the city, taxed out of their minds, and the traffic woes seem to grow exponentially. It is estimated that within a few decades, a drive from Round Rock to Austin will take 3 hours. But they're working on transportation issues [sarcasm]: taking away vehicle lanes to put in bike lanes and bus-only lanes, as well as planning to add a few variable toll lanes to MoPac and 183.

The Austin skyline looks like it's trying to compete with Dubai.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:43 PM

424 posts, read 612,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
Have you ever been to Nashville? It's not nearly as 'country' as you would think. Of course, Texas is full of wanna be cowboys so maybe your idea of what makes a cowboy is skewed.

When I think of cowboys, I think of places like Montana or Wyoming. Not Texas or Nashville.
Oh you know, it's just Country Music, USA.

I take it you've never been on Broadway in Nashville. Tons of grunge and r&b music joints, huh? Not honky tonks and country music bars. Those country music awards they stage in Nashville just happen to be there because New Orleans is always booked up solid. Right?

I think you're taking the image of a cowboy too serious when it comes to cowboy/country culture.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:51 PM

424 posts, read 612,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post

Btw, I take it you have no.clue about the origin of the cowboy? How it began in Mexico as Spanish speaking vaqueros who then taught their ways to English speaking settlers in Texas in the 1800s.

Basically, if Texas has wannabe cowboys, Montanna and Wyoming have really really wannabe Cowboys.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:08 PM

838 posts, read 1,216,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unintentionallyfunny View Post
Oh you know, it's just Country Music, USA.

I take it you've never been on Broadway in Nashville. Tons of grunge and r&b music joints, huh? Not honky tonks and country music bars. Those country music awards they stage in Nashville just happen to be there because New Orleans is always booked up solid. Right?

I think you're taking the image of a cowboy too serious when it comes to cowboy/country culture.
I live in Nashville. I think I might know it a little better than you do.

It's Music City USA not Country Music USA. Google it. Every single musical genre is represented here, including one of the largest non-country music events in the country, Bonnaroo.

One block away from Broadway is Printers Alley, a hod-podge of music ranging from Rock to Blues to Jazz - no Country. Broadway is for tourists.

Every major music label is headquartered in Nashville along with many of the smaller labels. Sure, there is a lot of country music here but only tourists think of Nashville as being ONLY country music.

Calling Nashville Country Music USA is a lot like calling San Antonio River City because of the Riverwalk. Oh, I know it is referenced as River City but that isn't much of a river and there is far more to the city than just the riverwalk... unless you are a tourist... In fact, both rivers in Nashville (the Cumberland and the Harpeth) dwarf the 'river' in San Antonio and make it look like the stream it is...

For the record, the Academy of Country Music Awards was in Vegas this year not Nashville and it will be in Dallas next year. Speaking of Dallas, since they have a football team named the Cowboys, shouldn't they be more country than Nashville in your eyes?

Sorry if I took the image of 'cowboy' too literally for your tastes. I was just trying to correct your inaccurate depiction of Nashville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio