Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2014, 05:31 PM
8sm 8sm started this thread

8 posts, read 11,547 times

Advertisements

Greetings

We are purchasing a home in Texas Hill Country, and would appreciate any thoughts or experiences on what I would define as the San Antonio/Boerne corridor. Looking towards retirement, my better half born and raised in San Antonio, would cherish being around the family, after living away for 28 years. Our intentions are part-time and seasonal once we retire during the summer of 2015.

We found a subdivision which we like, The Enclave @ StoneHaven , off of 1-10 and Ralph Fair. We like the proximity to Boerne and San Antonio proper. The Enclave is a private gated community of approx. 140 homes when complete. Our extended family live in Boerne and along the 1604 and I-10 area, so choosing this area seems to fit our needs.

Any feedback on the location, safety issues, buying in a private street subdivision ect will be well received and appreciated.

Best Regards to all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 06:36 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,708,956 times
That area is perfect for what you described. The traffic can get a bit hectic at times, but it's manageable. I'll let the few people that live in Boerne tel you more.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:13 PM

Hi Ashbeeigh,

I too agree, with your traffic observation.

Luck for us, hectic is easier to circumvent on a retirement schedule, lol

Thanks for taking the time to response

Regards.... 8sm

Old 04-09-2014, 08:21 PM

705 posts, read 1,760,185 times
Traffic will get worse as they work on the bridge at Ralph Fair, and as neighborhoods along the feeder road are further developed. Also the feeder roads are scheduled to flip to one way, which will impact areas like Napa Oaks which are directly on the feeder road.

Mstexascop I think lives right around the area you are talking about. She should be along to comment, as well as Boerneman.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:28 AM

1,366 posts, read 4,489,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88txaggie View Post
Traffic will get worse as they work on the bridge at Ralph Fair, and as neighborhoods along the feeder road are further developed. Also the feeder roads are scheduled to flip to one way, which will impact areas like Napa Oaks which are directly on the feeder road.

Mstexascop I think lives right around the area you are talking about. She should be along to comment, as well as Boerneman.
First and foremost, 88txaggie, I am so touched that you remembered where I lived... Seriously, I am not being sarcastic... That is so nice, I feel like I made an tiny, little impact on you in some way that you remember me by name and location... Thank You!!!

Secondly... To OP, yes, I do live in the area... We live off of Old Fredericksburg Rd, which is right off of Ralph Fair Rd... The traffic is getting insanely crazy out here... We have lived here going on 7 years and every year the traffic gets progressively worse...

The morning traffic going from Boerne into SA is at its worst during the school months, from the end of Aug thru the end of May, and it starts piling up around 710am...

Like you said you and your wife are retired so the morning traffic will not have much of an effect on you...

They are also widening Ralph Fair Rd as well as Boerne Stage Rd... The access roads will become one way in most sections, but not all, the access road from behind Willie's all the way to Leon Springs Elementary will still be 2 way... The widening of roads has already started and the access road work and building new on and off ramps for the highway will start in 2015, so needless to say traffic is going to be a hot mess quite some time...

As far as access to SA and to Boerne you couldn't be in a better area... You are smack in the middle of both cities... I can get to La Cantera in apx 10 minutes and to downtown Boerne in the same amount of time... Other than the traffic situation my family and I love the area...

Please let me know if you have any questions... Welcome to Texas!!!

Old 04-10-2014, 05:54 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,798,292 times
Great area, you'll be fine concerning all of your questions.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:43 AM

Wow..........thanks to all for sharing your experiences.

As mentioned, we will have options less afforded to those making the morning/evening commute. That is to say, not having to drive to/from work, daycare or dropping the children off at school. Fondly, looking back those experiences brought us to where we are today, with a retirement income and grandchildren. LOL.

When we built our Phoenix Az home in 1992, we chose a start up master planned community of 2000 homes: which grew to what it is today, 11000 homes. Realizing the ingress/egress to a subdivision of a few homes as opposed to thousands has a completely different demand. The planners forged ahead and all is well.

Yet, what may appear as backwards planning is actually not. Building a proper street infrastructure which fits the needs of an area at times must wait until tax dollars from growth or federal funding warrant the expense.

Our hindsight from similar Phoenix growth suggest everything will be alright. As mentioned, the apparent demand on Ralph Fair was brought forward funding to address the traffic flow issues.

We too agree and love the location. Having a bit of country yet close enough for the city perks is a perfect fit for us and others alike.

Best regards to all

8sm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio