Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 11:18 AM

340 posts, read 645,707 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any experience with a motorcycle officer running radar on Military Dr W between 1604 and Ellison?

Wife was pulled over a few days back and cited for speeding (47 in a 35 mph zone). She says she couldn't have possibly been going as fast as the officer (moving: oncoming) says, because she had turned off a side-street, and was only going 33-35 mph.

What really caught my attention was what she said the motor officer was doing: swerving left and right in his lane as she crested the hill toward him. Not sure why he was doing a little NASCAR warm-up; maybe he was driving slow and was balancing the bike. This *may* have resulted in a panning effect on the radar reading.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:39 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,501,700 times
I'm sure someone will chime in soon to say the police are exempt from the traffic laws, and can do whatever they please.
Best of luck fighting the ticket.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:52 AM

838 posts, read 1,211,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
I'm sure someone will chime in soon to say the police are exempt from the traffic laws, and can do whatever they please.
Best of luck fighting the ticket.
I was about to post the exact same thing. That or, he was doing exactly what he was supposed to be doing according to the Penal Code - Section 24687.23416.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:01 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmergencyOps View Post
Anyone have any experience with a motorcycle officer running radar on Military Dr W between 1604 and Ellison?

Wife was pulled over a few days back and cited for speeding (47 in a 35 mph zone). She says she couldn't have possibly been going as fast as the officer (moving: oncoming) says, because she had turned off a side-street, and was only going 33-35 mph.

What really caught my attention was what she said the motor officer was doing: swerving left and right in his lane as she crested the hill toward him. Not sure why he was doing a little NASCAR warm-up; maybe he was driving slow and was balancing the bike. This *may* have resulted in a panning effect on the radar reading.

I haven't had any experience with the motorcycle cops but I have seen them do what you are stating in your last paragraph.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:02 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,939 times
If she was able to do 33-35, why is it not possible she could be doing 10 miles an hour more? I'm not disputing her version of what happened, just that your logic doesn't sit well with me.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:36 PM

340 posts, read 645,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
If she was able to do 33-35, why is it not possible she could be doing 10 miles an hour more? I'm not disputing her version of what happened, just that your logic doesn't sit well with me.
Correction (I asked her today to make sure I remembered right): According to her, speedo showed 31 when her RD went off as she crested the hill going west-bound, after turning left from Seascape Dr. Cop said 46 mph. The crest of the hill is only about 500 feet from the intersection (see for yourself).

Did she accelerate harder than some people would have, sure. Do I believe that it is difficult to accelerate up to 46 before hitting that crest and that she wasn't going that fast, yes. Do I wonder how this thing will shake out in traffic court in two weeks. You bet.

And yes, she has an RD. It's called situation awarenss. Without it, she never would have known exactly when that cop microwaved her.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:54 PM

31 posts, read 40,136 times
I have seen one on Military Drive West and another cop in a Yukon? Anyway Im glad they are there people drive like idiots through there. If you are driving the posted speed limit there are no worries its a residential area.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:05 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmergencyOps View Post
Correction (I asked her today to make sure I remembered right): According to her, speedo showed 31 when her RD went off as she crested the hill going west-bound, after turning left from Seascape Dr. Cop said 46 mph. The crest of the hill is only about 500 feet from the intersection (see for yourself).

Did she accelerate harder than some people would have, sure. Do I believe that it is difficult to accelerate up to 46 before hitting that crest and that she wasn't going that fast, yes. Do I wonder how this thing will shake out in traffic court in two weeks. You bet.

And yes, she has an RD. It's called situation awarenss. Without it, she never would have known exactly when that cop microwaved her.
I have a radar detector too. I use it as a reminder. Know this though, they're not infallible and the detector going off doesn't necessarily mean that's when they got you.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:23 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
That guy lives and dies by his tickets on Military. I see him pulling people on over on Richland Hills (he caught them on Military) easily every day.

What sucks is that 35mph for most of Military is kind of slow. There is a lot of that stretch that 45 is plenty fast enough and safe enough.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:05 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,500,151 times
For what it is worth...

Motorcycle cops are pretty much traffic cops. That is what they do. They write people tickets.

It is almost universal that anyone with a radar detector will not get a warning. Many officers will make a notation for the court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: